Skinny Puppy WHY?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

sizone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sizone » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:48 pm

mt3 wrote:
These are evidence there is no such thing as subjectivity, only degrees of an inability to comprehend.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 am

wackelpeter wrote:Nahh...Rabies was one of their worst… :hihi:
Any time they try to sound like The Ministry they suck (perhaps not at the time at release, but it has aged really terribly).

Yesterday i started listening to some old albums after not hearing them for ages.. Tactical Neural Implant by Frontline Assemby, and then some of my favorite SP albums, Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate and Too Dark Park, wow, still so fucking great, so unique and atmospheric..

First thing i'm gonna do when i get Cyberpunk (the game) is to mod it to play the tracks from Tactical Neural Implant instead (+ probably some SP tracks).

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:04 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
wackelpeter wrote:Nahh...Rabies was one of their worst… :hihi:
Any time they try to sound like The Ministry they suck (perhaps not at the time at release, but it has aged really terribly).

Yesterday i started listening to some old albums after not hearing them for ages.. Tactical Neural Implant by Frontline Assemby, and then some of my favorite SP albums, Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate and Too Dark Park, wow, still so fucking great, so unique and atmospheric..

First thing i'm gonna do when i get Cyberpunk (the game) is to mod it to play the tracks from Tactical Neural Implant instead (+ probably some SP tracks).
Process is my fave album of theirs. Unsure if anyone else even enjoys it.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:56 pm

mt3 wrote: Process is my fave album of theirs. Unsure if anyone else even enjoys it.
One of their better for sure. Saw them live (only time i've seen them) just after its release.

Its very synthy and easy-listening compared to many other albums, felt a bit like they were going back to their roots with this one.

Shakespeare
Common Wiggler

Post by Shakespeare » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:20 pm

My favorite as well. Highly underappreciated record.

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:40 pm

bemushroomed wrote:
mt3 wrote: Process is my fave album of theirs. Unsure if anyone else even enjoys it.
One of their better for sure. Saw them live (only time i've seen them) just after its release.
?? they were already broken up and Dwayne had died by the time 'The Process' came out.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:13 pm

jbuonacc wrote: ?? they were already broken up and Dwayne had died by the time 'The Process' came out.
Yeah i checked now, i remembered wrong it was in 2004, it was right after the release of "The greater wrong of the right", Arvika festivalen (sweden).. but they've played live much later than that too..

image (not mine) from that performance

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:52 am

bemushroomed wrote:
jbuonacc wrote: ?? they were already broken up and Dwayne had died by the time 'The Process' came out.
Yeah i checked now, i remembered wrong it was in 2004, it was right after the release of "The greater wrong of the right" ...
did you also remember wrong about that being one of their better albums, or what? :hihi: all their later albums are junk.

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:12 pm

jbuonacc wrote:
did you also remember wrong about that being one of their better albums, or what? :hihi: all their later albums are junk.
Process is way better than much of the earlier stuff, better than both vivisectvi and rabies imo.. but sure, i listened to those albums to death when they were new, but they hold up really poorly.. but on the whole, the earlier SP is more interesting than the later ones. Weapon was boring as hell.

jbuonacc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jbuonacc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:41 pm

bemushroomed wrote:Process is way better than much of the earlier stuff, better than both vivisectvi and rabies imo.. but sure, i listened to those albums to death when they were new, but they hold up really poorly.. but on the whole, the earlier SP is more interesting than the later ones. Weapon was boring as hell.
ahh, i thought you meant TGWOTR. yeah, 'The Process' is ok. not sure i'd rate it over the other two, but i see what you mean. 'Rabies' is a bit of a sidetrack (though it has some great tunes on it), but 'VIVIsectVI' is still pretty strong for what it is. took a while for that one to "sink in". i actually think 'Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate' is their weakest album overall (but as necessary to their catalog as any).

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:07 am

For VIVISectVI they stepped up distortion and grit to 11, i personally like them somewhere in-between the synthy and industrial, "Cleanse" is the sweet spot for me. It's a cool horror electro funk album. I also tend to prefer their slower tracks. Harsh Stone White is great for example, it's the one song i still like on VIVISectVI.

But i was 15 when Cleanse, Fold and Manipulate was released (and a huge horror movie fan back then) i think nostalgia has probably colored me somewhat for that specific album.

Edit: had to give it a listen again... First Aid, Addiction, Deep down trauma hounds, still so fucking good.. yeah my favorite album by far. I especially love the drums on this album. Too Dark Park i'd probably rank as their second best.

zedius
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Skinny Puppy WHY?

Post by zedius » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 pm

I like most things Skinny Puppy, but there's this one sound in their early work that I love with all my heart and strain to hear in the later stuff. I wonder if OP has heard it?

It's gritty, it's dense, it's smooth, it's funky.

Deadlines early version:

Last call early version:

It's also present on this track off of Brap and Forth vol. 8:

Then you can hear it's presence in a few "heavier" tracks too:

The Choke

Stairs and Flowers

I'd say if there's something rubbing you the wrong way then listen for something else :) There's a lot of great grooves mixed in, a ton of movement integrated into the electronics, and a good dose of humour and subtlety behind the sort of 80s goth club facade. There is really nobody like them.

Xomrys
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Xomrys » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:11 pm

zedius wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 pm
I like most things Skinny Puppy, but there's this one sound in their early work that I love with all my heart and strain to hear in the later stuff. I wonder if OP has heard it?

It's gritty, it's dense, it's smooth, it's funky.
sure. these elements are reminiscent of mid 80's Cabaret Voltaire (Crackdown, Microphonies, Code) as well as Portion Control (anything 83-86)... SP does add quite a further twist to the sound, but it's also a very specific sound of a certain time. music also changed pretty fast in those days.

zedius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zedius » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:20 pm

Cabaret Voltaire and Portion Control are two artists I haven’t explored yet. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll get on that.

Phil999
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Phil999 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:21 pm

very good old versions, zedius. Thank you. They sound a bit like Severed Heads at that time. This explains why they did a tour together, with à;Grumh... also.

Return to “Artist Discussion”