Skinny Puppy WHY?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

blz
Ultra Wiggler

Post by blz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:40 pm

i love skinny puppy and nin

i feel they really mess with synths and go with sounds that we dont hear to often but im open to any suggestions of oddball music or regular ball music you have bring on the BALLS!!!
barcat.blogspot.com

http://waveformcity.blogspot.com/

I beat my brain tumor that makes me indestructible right???

vav
Beer Master

Post by vav » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:17 pm

love SP. Cleanse is my favorite record of theirs.
Vactrols are the electronic equivalent of being drunk. -decaying.sine

frozenkore
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by frozenkore » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:18 pm

I got into Skinny Puppy around 1998 and the first album I had/heard/listened to was Last Right and that will remain my favorite SP album. No other album portrays such hellish landscapes as are in that album (especially Riverz End and Download).

As for SP being dated, the stuff sited was made in those dated time periods. As far as the new stuff sucking, personally I really enjoy Mythmaker. I think it takes a band of true talent to allow their sound to evolve over time. Not everyone will like the new stuff and the people who like the new stuff probably won't like the old stuff, but it's that evolution as an artist that indicates are real artist.

It would be cool to see more topics like "I think this artist is awesome!" vs. "I hate this artist."

:guinness:
Cheers!
Brian

mjsemtex
Wiggling with Experience

Post by mjsemtex » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:26 am

i've been listening to a lot of the download material lately.

a lot of it still sounds pretty fresh and it was nice to hear bands like that who didn't move into bad trance like much of the so-called 'ebm' artists did.
what that is… is recreational dirty stuff.

nuketifromorbit
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nuketifromorbit » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:30 pm

To me skinny puppy is just flat out great electronic music. Its the perfect blend of chaotic experimentation and structure. I remember listening to vivisectvi at work and a coworker, who's knowledge of electronic music only consisted of RJD2 and Aphex Twin, exclaimed to me how "chill" it was. Whats interesting to me is that someone with a sincere new found interest in electronic music was able to appreciate Skinny Puppy immediately, while other more hip people would have dismissed them.

My point is basically that SP transcends the whole Industrial genre (if there even is one), and if it weren't for this label a lot more people would be willing to appreciate them. I honestly feel that many people don't get past Skinny Puppy's association with rivet head and goth culture and see them as being mallcore garbage (I'm not trying to talk shit about any ones sub culture mind you).

Personally I like their first three albums the most, because they still contain elements of synth pop.

*edit
Download, Doubting Thomas, and Cevin Key's solo work are also :nana: .

The_Crooked_Man
mad man with a box

Post by The_Crooked_Man » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:31 pm

:agree: You can't listen to one album from a band that's been around for 25 years and gone through so many radical changes and expect to have an actual grasp of what they're about. Listening to one Skinny Puppy album (especially anything after VIVisect) and forming a negative opinion on them would be like listening to one of the late 80's elevator music Tangerine Dream albums and declaring that Tangerine Dream sucks: It just doesn't work. Anyone who can listen to Bites and then say that Skinny Puppy is just an "industrial" band is either far too willing to pigeonhole, or knows absolutely nothing whatsoever about electronic music. There are a few tracks on that album (Love and Film are definitely two of them, but I don't remember the names of the others) that are beautiful orchestrations more reminiscent of early Klaus Shultz meets ambient Aphex Twin than any "industrial" music that I've ever heard.

That being said, I think the two all encompassing SP albums to listen to are Bites and Ain't it Dead Yet? (live album.) If neither of those does anything for you, then I think it's pretty safe to say that you wouldn't like any Skinny Puppy material :hihi:

userwave
Common Wiggler

Post by userwave » Tue May 10, 2011 1:58 pm

dig it
:hail:

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Tue May 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Audio Resistance wrote:People should check out Doubting Thomas, which is Cevin Key and Dwayne R. Goettel's side project with some help from Tom Ellard from Severed Heads. This is some of the most beautiful electronic arrangements ever in my opinion.
I love every minute of the Doubting Thomas stuff. It's the bestest of the best!
Key & Goettel together were a special combo. I mean, I like most of the Skinny Puppy stuff too, with Ogre, but I gravitate to the earlier instrumental stuff like on Brap (Back & Forth Vol. 3 & 4). Cevin Key's The Dragon Experience is similar to that stuff.

[video][/video]

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Tue May 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Oh man, Download was/is great stuff too. I saw them play in Ft. Lauderdale in ~1998 and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. (An unannounced date 2 days before their official tour began, in a small club. No idea why they even played... but it was amazing! There were maybe 20 people there.)

dr. jacoby
Common Wiggler

Post by dr. jacoby » Tue May 10, 2011 4:02 pm

last rights and too dark park are pretty great albums, in my opinion. i agree with a lot of what's been said here, though, and have to say that like a few others, i didn't like skinny puppy for the longest time. even hearing last rights for the first time, it did nothing for me. a few years later, i listened again, and it suddenly "made sense". guess that's just how it works with some bands. sometimes it hits you right away, sometimes it takes a while, and sometimes it never happens. it's all cool ;)

in STEREO

Post by 10011001 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:11 pm

not only is skinny puppy a great and influential band, cEVIN is a really really nice guy

voiceless
Common Wiggler

Post by voiceless » Sun May 15, 2011 2:06 pm

While there have been many imitators, there's still only one SP.

Big fan of Puppy for a long time, admittedly at the time I lost my taste for electronic music when Mythmaker came out and I absolutely hated it. The album grew on me over time. Puppy were always good at putting out albums that were not easily accessible.

To this day, I still hear something new on 90% of their material. Brap 3&4 were very influential to me.

[video][/video]

m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

Post by m0rb1d » Sun May 15, 2011 9:54 pm

im sorry to go off topic here, but that baby in combat shock is one of the funniest things ive ever seen.

bint
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bint » Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 pm

this tune gives me goosebumps..

[video][/video]

Suilebhain
Common Wiggler

Post by Suilebhain » Mon May 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Judging by the OP's comparisons, it would seem that, on the one side, we have groups that are beat heavy with samples and transitions mostly quick, like Front 242, and on the other, more texture heavy, with the beats less powerful but the timbres more extreme, like Skinny Puppy and NIN.

How anyone cannot think The Downward Spiral is not one of the greatest industrial works of all time escapes me, however.

tokyocat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tokyocat » Mon May 16, 2011 3:45 pm

deleted
Last edited by tokyocat on Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Mon May 16, 2011 3:51 pm

I'm not really sure we could compare the vocals between NIN and Skinny Puppy in terms of gaining them fans. I know a lot of people who are fine with the more traditional sung/yell pop rock vocals of NIN that have a hard time with the more abrasive and processed vocal style of SP.

That said, yeah SP way outsells projects like Download, etc.
tokyocat wrote:And I guess a lot of NIN fans were somewhat disappointed with the instrumental "Ghosts I-IV" release, they would rather have Reznor churn out variations on "The Downward Spiral" over and over again.
I'd say for me Ghosts was welcome relief from the batch of albums being released around that time mostly because it was instrumental. :despair:

theparegorickid
Interzone, Inc.

Post by theparegorickid » Mon May 16, 2011 5:40 pm

I can certainly understand why people would dislike Skinny Puppy, but I find it hard that anyone on this forum could not at least respect their work. There are many artist that I do not find enjoyment in listening to their music but can still hear and respect the creativity that goes into their work. I never felt Skinny Puppy belonged in the "industrial" or "goth" genres. None of the bands I usually hear mentioned in the same breath, ie Front 242, Ministry, etc sound anything like skinny puppy. I think Cevin is an amazi.ng artist, and enjoy his work most when he is a contributer, like in the Tear Garden. To me Big Black is a rock band who used a drum machine. I love big black but do not see any similarities at all. Favorite Skinny Puppy LP is Mind the Perpetual Intercourse

in STEREO

Post by 10011001 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:02 pm

I consider puppy to be one of the REALLY important bands.

But just realized I have more of cEVIN's instrumental stuff ("music for cat's" anyone???) than Skinny Puppy CD's

m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

Post by m0rb1d » Mon May 16, 2011 7:40 pm

the guy has so many cds.
lets not forget bananasloth :nana:

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Mon May 16, 2011 7:51 pm

does anyone know what they used gear wise for Too Dark Park? That album still blows me away and Ive listened to it thousands of times. I still have a hard time figuring out what was done.
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

zerosum
Modulation Maniac

Post by zerosum » Mon May 16, 2011 11:55 pm

does anyone know what they used gear wise for Too Dark Park?
They list the gear used in the Doubting Thomas Infidel reissue,
which was minimoog, Samplers, ESQ-1, some other stuff
TDP was shortly after, So I'm sure some of that is still there.

But the Doubting Thomas was recorded in an Apartment in Torronto,
While TDP was recorded at Mushroom in Vancouver...:despair:

Morpheous Laughing reminds me of an ESQ-1,
Spasmolytic reminds me of a Prophet 5.

Who knows, Probably lots of everything..........
Lots of Samplers, triggered drums played live, etc...
A while ago Subcon sold a bunch of gear, and listed what albums certain pieces were used on.

lets not forget bananasloth
Hell yeah :hyper:
"I love to ride the Shinkansen" and "the sound of the sloth" are some of my favorite tracks!
I think I'll listen to that right now!
But just realized I have more of cEVIN's instrumental stuff ("music for cat's" anyone???) than Skinny Puppy CD's

Yeah that one is pretty cool, Dwayne is on a lot of tracks,
It could pass as a download album given all the other musicians that appear, I love that album!
In general I get more out of the side projects and solo albums, really nice work.

parasitk
Learn to swim

Post by parasitk » Tue May 17, 2011 12:23 am

Lots of FM around Too Dark Park.

brianobush
Common Wiggler

Post by brianobush » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:23 pm

10011001 wrote:I consider puppy to be one of the REALLY important bands.

Necro thread bump!

Just wanted to chime in, as I too am a big SP fan since 1991 (Fall of my second year in college; enjoy everything through Last Rights). However, I have not kept up with cEvin's instrumental stuff - big thanks! Love when I find new material from artists that I love. Especially here on Muffs!

mt3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mt3 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Necrozombies...

Two best albums ever:

Skinny Puppy - Process
NIN - The Fragile

Return to “Artist Discussion”