Wat is THE most brutal/extreme e-music ever published?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:28 pm

3vcos wrote:whitehouse
i have to be honest, i've never gotten Whitehouse...

dougcl
Number 6

Post by dougcl » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:35 pm

Just get a job as a grinder in a welding shop and don't wear ear protection. HARDCORE

dougcl
Number 6

Post by dougcl » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:38 pm

richard wrote:Even by thinking about it in terms of the value of going to extremes, or transgressing imaginary limits, you are blocking off 99.9% of the options available to you.
What's next? KISS sucks?

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:43 pm

dougcl wrote:What's next? KISS sucks?
:fu: KISS ALIVE is a great record...

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:50 pm

being honest pt. 2: finding something on your youtubes and such, well it just don't translate to headphones (all i got atm), i'm used to my favorites on loud speakers in a room...context i tell ya...

3vcos
Must have slack/modules

Post by 3vcos » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:57 pm

I completely agree with you, beauty is way more interesting. However the name of the thread was 'Brutal..."
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
3vcos wrote:Brutal? Fuck No. That record is absolutely beautiful.
"brutal" in the sense of context i would say...play some easy listening for metal heads and they'll run for the door...perhaps i'm sort of with richard on this (or maybe not) , beauty is way more interesting than brutality...

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:03 pm

3vcos wrote:I completely agree with you, beauty is way more interesting. However the name of the thread was 'Brutal..."
that's why i have to say "context"...again, my biggest problem with the task of presenting (or appraising) brutal music is listening to it on headphones while my kids are watching some xmas cartoon crap on tv :hihi:

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
3vcos wrote:Brutal? Fuck No. That record is absolutely beautiful.
"brutal" in the sense of context i would say...play some easy listening for metal heads and they'll run for the door...perhaps i'm sort of with richard on this (or maybe not) , beauty is way more interesting than brutality...
I have no idea what you're talking about. Personally, I don't try to make my sounds 'brutal' at all, though I appreciate people mentioning me here. Ultimately I make sounds that please me, which to my mind is synonymous with beauty. So, you seem to be making a different kind of distinction than I would make, and I really don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, as I said.

On the other hand, if what you mean is - to make pleasing/interesting sounds is what is important, not 'aggressive/brutal' then I am with you.

dougcl
Number 6

Post by dougcl » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:05 pm

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:KISS ALIVE is a great record...
I wore that album out.

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about..
i wouldn't worry about it...i didn't mention you and i wasn't considering your musical output in anything i posted in this or any other thread...if you would like me to critique your music, send me a pm and i'll start another thread...

this is one of my favorites, i think it's brutal in it's musical and lyrical build up:

[video][/video]

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:10 pm

oh, yeah, I forgot. I'm the one who is pompous and superficial.

No - I wasn't assuming that you were talking about me. I just figured that you were being quite generally incoherent.
Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about..
i wouldn't worry about it...i didn't mention you and i wasn't considering your musical output in anything i posted in this or any other thread...if you would like me to critique your music, send me a pm and i'll start another thread...

this is one of my favorites, i think it's brutal in it's musical and lyrical build up:

[video][/video]

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:29 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:I'm the one who is pompous and superficial.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:I'm the one who is pompous and superficial.
Your honesty is impressive.

Setherian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Setherian » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:40 am

It's interesting how the feeds (moods, intentions) evolve with such a post innit?

Chuck, I forgot about the Lou Reed Metal Machine thing, that is/was quite intense stuff indeed!

#vcos, i will check that stuff soon..

Richard, u seem a smart fella, whats with all the prejudice then? Kitten Basher? kkk

Also, who said Im blocking something by having interest in extremes.
Should I be too ashamed by not being familiar with the whole freaking history of extremism in music? Trust me, Im trying here.. ;)

Why dont u pretend u are in a sweet 28 degrees celsius looking to a beautiful garden with the most ridiculous sunset behind u and be a nice dude and shoot out a "Man, check what X did in his YY work, u might dig it!" kinda attitude?

Dont be so serious, I'm not..

Chuck, Suicide is brutal indeed, in a more "conceptual" sense of course, but wow that tune freaked me out!

Obviously many words in this world have many meenings right, all about the contexts right, and I wonder, why be satirical with the subject when the context is so clear? Go figure..

And Nelson, about ur music, I find it sometimes beautiful, sometimes brutal, sometimes none of it, sometimes both together.. generally i enjoy it very much.

ps.:

I think we shouldnt compare beauty with energy, its like comparing a spliff with cosmology. :p

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:22 am

while I don't personally think of my music as 'brutal' - I would say the following.

To say - what is the most beautiful of music wouldn't get anything like the responses you want. That is entirely a different context. I'm not sure that you put it in entirely the right way, but obviously 'beautiful' would not have gotten you there.

I think that we are talking about a subset of beautiful. How exactly to put it to get to the type of stuff you want, I don't exactly know.
Setherian wrote:It's interesting how the feeds (moods, intentions) evolve with such a post innit?

Chuck, I forgot about the Lou Reed Metal Machine thing, that is/was quite intense stuff indeed!

#vcos, i will check that stuff soon..

Richard, u seem a smart fella, whats with all the prejudice then? Kitten Basher? kkk

Also, who said Im blocking something by having interest in extremes.
Should I be too ashamed by not being familiar with the whole freaking history of extremism in music? Trust me, Im trying here.. ;)

Why dont u pretend u are in a sweet 28 degrees celsius looking to a beautiful garden with the most ridiculous sunset behind u and be a nice dude and shoot out a "Man, check what X did in his YY work, u might dig it!" kinda attitude?

Dont be so serious, I'm not..

Chuck, Suicide is brutal indeed, in a more "conceptual" sense of course, but wow that tune freaked me out!

Obviously many words in this world have many meenings right, all about the contexts right, and I wonder, why be satirical with the subject when the context is so clear? Go figure..

And Nelson, about ur music, I find it sometimes beautiful, sometimes brutal, sometimes none of it, sometimes both together.. generally i enjoy it very much.

ps.:

I think we shouldnt compare beauty with energy, its like comparing a spliff with cosmology. :p

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:54 am

Anything by these guys is pretty good.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=we ... YRYUFPbPmA

Also google the bands

Converter
Imminent Starvation
Iszoloscope

All good stuff

Pentachoron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pentachoron » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:32 am

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:42 am

Someone finally posted some Controlled Bleeding. I was going to post Knees & Bones along with Phlegm Bag Spattered. Some of the brutal sound you can hear.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:51 am

[video][/video]

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:05 am

From what I've heard, I would also say Controlled Bleeding (especially 1980 era) and Merzbow (esp late 80s early 90s). What I love about Controlled Bleeding is that in the mid 80s they quit doing completely feedback, pin-the-meters noise and became really a unique project. Basically they said "fuck industrial!". Their mid to late 80s stuff truly defied any genre label IMO. But their early rekkids such as Knees and Bones, Live in NYC, and Plegm Bag Spattered are quite rough listening indeed.

My fave Merzbow stuff is around 1988-1995. It seems Akita had become effortlessly skilled at getting his sound out of delays and other electronics, and had a real understanding of rhythm and theme. Recordings from around Rainbow Electronics through Pulse Demon are special to me. I am especially partial to "Metalvelodrome (Exposition Of Electro-Vivisection)".

Also particularly brutal was the one-off project from the noise rock power trio "Flying Testicle" - who were Merzbow, Masonna, and Roughage. Completely nuts.

Call me weird, but Reed's "Metal Machine Music" I have always found relaxing. Only album of his I ever bought.

randomvoltage
Learning to Wiggle

Post by randomvoltage » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:05 am

WTF is 'e-music'... is that like IBM e-business... or is that like when you play a clipped E note over and over and over and call yourself 'extreme'?

My only interest in 'noise' is as a source for random voltage generation. In other words, to make things funky. If music doesn't want to make you take your pants off and dance horizontally, then it has absolutely no place in my life.

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:11 am

E-music does sound like some stupid marketing buzzword, but I have heard worse.
randomvoltage wrote:If music doesn't want to make you take your pants off and dance horizontally, then it has absolutely no place in my life.
Funk is in the eye... er-ear...booty... of the beholder. When I saw R Luke Dubois and his Columbia postgrads throwing down their granular experiments at the Lost Engine Gallery in NYC - I was the only human dancing in a large room full of seated people. I couldn't help but notice. I guess it was awkward but I was too busy to worry about it at the time

randomvoltage
Learning to Wiggle

Post by randomvoltage » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:21 am

Pentachoron wrote:[video][/video]

[video][/video]
It's ok to like things. But man, I guess I'm not middle class enough to appreciate such 'musics'. Mommy and daddy got their money's worth by putting those kids through art school.

Ok, I'm ready to hear their inevitable, ambient/sacred musics now.

randomvoltage
Learning to Wiggle

Post by randomvoltage » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:27 am

CJ Miller wrote:E-music does sound like some stupid marketing buzzword, but I have heard worse.
randomvoltage wrote:If music doesn't want to make you take your pants off and dance horizontally, then it has absolutely no place in my life.
Funk is in the eye... er-ear...booty... of the beholder. When I saw R Luke Dubois and his Columbia postgrads throwing down their granular experiments at the Lost Engine Gallery in NYC - I was the only human dancing in a large room full of seated people. I couldn't help but notice. I guess it was awkward but I was too busy to worry about it at the time
:nana: :bacon: :bananaguitar: :nana:

YES!!! There should be WAY more dancing going on in gallery's. Those people need to learn how to feel... and to not be afraid to show it. I always thought that's what gallery's are for. Peanuts and all.

lilakmonoke
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lilakmonoke » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:47 am

make you take your pants off and dance horizontally
brilliant, i was just picturing "dance horinzontally" and couldnt come up with a coherent visual!

seriously now, it would help if TS would elaborate on whats so great about brutal/most extreme. psychoacoustically it would be a clipped square wave at max db and 165 bpm. the beginning of brutal must be velvet underground - white light/white heat. if you mean culturally brutal nothing beats the early wave of punk from around 1977. contextually brutal would be neil young - trans am. most brutally posing reward has to go to the likes of lady gaga. brutal within the noise culture has no meaning. when i was a teenager i thought black sabbath - paranoid was extreme, now i still think its extremely beautiful.

Return to “Artist Discussion”