Wat is THE most brutal/extreme e-music ever published?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Pentachoron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pentachoron » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:07 pm

christian power electronics:

[video][/video]

“I have plenty of energy to drive over there! Do you understand me?!! AND I WILL!!!”

silikon
Common Wiggler

Post by silikon » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Surprised not a single mention of Alec Empire -- well, not him exactly, but Atari Teenage Riot...

After listening to some of the youtube links I feel it somewhat necessary to go take a shower. :sb:

jonah
searching for "switch nipples"

Post by jonah » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:24 am

I always liked patric c's music more than alec empire's.
[video]
[/video]
It's not strictly electronic, but imagine being booed at like that.....
[video][/video]
I thought Gravitoni by Pan Sonic was really great.
[video][/video]
Great contrast between beautiful and harsh.
[video][/video]
Old school fun.
[video][/video]
Depending on your attention span these could be brutal.
[video][/video]
Bang your head!
[video][/video]

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:48 am

I love harsh noise.

I :picard: the tendency towards "shocking" violent / pedo / sadistic visual imagery. It whimpers boring teenage inadequacy, and detracts immeasurably from the music.

k.rosakruz
Common Wiggler

Post by k.rosakruz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:33 pm

rec.Koner wrote:
Power Electronics
[video][/video]

And speaking about subject..

[video][/video]
The phrase "Power Electronics" is such a turn on.

sgnhh
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sgnhh » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:14 pm

passenger of shit

Suburban Bather
Miami Flesh

Post by Suburban Bather » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:00 pm

randomvoltage wrote:
Pentachoron wrote:[video][/video]

[video][/video]
It's ok to like things. But man, I guess I'm not middle class enough to appreciate such 'musics'. Mommy and daddy got their money's worth by putting those kids through art school.

Ok, I'm ready to hear their inevitable, ambient/sacred musics now.
I was disappointed the first time I heard Knees and Bones. I was expecting "ambient/sacred musics," or industrial metal. I put the cd away for a couple years, then tried it again. I love it! I was not much of a fan of harsh noise before, but for some reason it just clicked after giving that controlled bleeding cd another spin.
Heavy Lids

Pentachoron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pentachoron » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:18 am

[video][/video]

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:49 am

stk wrote:I love harsh noise.

I :picard: the tendency towards "shocking" violent / pedo / sadistic visual imagery. It whimpers boring teenage inadequacy, and detracts immeasurably from the music.
A-fucking-men. Look I like crazy, fucked up, loud noisy sounds as much as anyone and having my own modular to make crazy sounds on is fun but I could do without all the stupid and juvenile shit from neo-nazism to violence, bodily functions, modern primitives and rough sex. While I admire the sounds of Throbbing Gristle, NWW, Current 93 and Merzbow I was embarrased as a kid to own some of that shit and now when I see videos of old stuff and the names of new releases I'm just sad for the people involved. Grow up.

I was really into finding the noisiest, craziest shit for about five years in the early 90s and ended up with way too many records and CDs that I was ashamed to own.

I remember one CD had the guy from Geriogege or whatever the fuck their name was jerking off with a piece of liver. Come on.

The breaking point came for me when I'd picked up one of the Dry Lungs compilations and on the back it said...

"Listen loud. Preferably while eating shit."

Really? Eat your own fucking shit. I always laughed when reading that wondering if some overeager fanboy had decided to give his own feces a go.

Even as a 22 year old I thought it was fucking stupid and was done with noise music for a long time after that other than a brief dabbling into free jazz. We have some real enthusiasts in town that were running our jazz festival for awhile and bringing the best of the best through here although free jazz hit another issue I have with noise music home.

Most of it is way too fucking long. I think it's just a money grab for free jazz and noise artists to make the most out of one idea. What are you going to make more money on? 20 CDs each with one session or one CD with the best excerpts of 20 sessions? Misha Mengelberg once said in an article from the glorious, classic magazine "Option" that he thought the music of his contemporaries was way too long and that none of the pieces should be longer than 3 minutes. Exactly, I thought.

My brief dabbling in free jazz also taught me that I liked experiencing noisy and improvised music way more live than on CD and vinyl. It's much easier to appreciate when you're watching it happen in front of you.

I remember a thrilling concert from Kevin Drumm at MUTEK one year that was blisteringly loud and had this intense strobe going the whole time. I felt like I was strapped to the side of the space shuttle the whole time and loved it although I probably wouldn't have had the patience nor the desire to listen to it on my CD player at home.

All that said I still love noise and am playing around with "music" and a concept that simultaneously endears itself to and makes fun of noise music and its imagery in a Hoffnung-like style.

nrdvrgr
Working at NASA on acid

Post by nrdvrgr » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:18 am

stk + noobyscooby: I wholeheartedly agree. And look who´s talking;

I have used a lot of shock tactics over the years myself, and while they DO sell a few extra albums they distract way too much from the important bit: the MUSIC.

I find a lot of "taboo" topics to be interesting to explore from a musical standpoint, and it is to some extent part of the experience to link imagery/ideas to the music in order to get the full impact, but the second the imagery/image becomes the focus something is missed...

A good example is the re-issue/remaster/reworking of the MZ. 412 albums from the early nineties - we got so much attention due to the artwork and extreme topics that in some ways the music was lost... the reissues are all simple black layouts without imagery. Suddenly the important part comes to the front.
-Extendunt barbam tuam, et velo-

BUY/LISTEN: http://nordvargr.bandcamp.com
VIDEO: http://vimeo.com/nrdvrgr

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:25 am

Re: "Taboo" subject matter.
I think one need only look at someone like Michael Gira / Swans (regardless of whether you like their actual music or not) to see how to deal with brutal subject matter in a way that is intelligent, confronting, and way more fucking brutal than some blueballed twat ranting about rape and torture.

Okay, I admit I sound like an old fart in the previous sentence, but hey :sb: ..I've sung (er, yelled) some pretty obscene shit too, so I'm, well, qualified :zombie:

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:37 pm

stk wrote:Re: "Taboo" subject matter.
I think one need only look at someone like Michael Gira / Swans (regardless of whether you like their actual music or not) to see how to deal with brutal subject matter in a way that is intelligent, confronting, and way more fucking brutal than some blueballed twat ranting about rape and torture.
To me, "Taboo" subject matter can be an effective way to confront that which pushes ones buttons. By this I mean the difference between what I can acknowledge and renounce as wrong or disagreeable, and that which I unthinkingly react to uncritically. I observe myself having these reactions and try to understand what is happening. IMO this is a personal thing, and if broadcast would be tasteless and cause me to be misunderstood, but I think it is a valid approach to music, art, meditation, etc. There is the risk of becoming jaded, or simply being crude.

There are decisions as to how whatever obsession is translated into music. Directly depicting and/or ranting about it might be a strong first step. Part of the problem might be situations which one knows viscerally are wrong, but are backed up culturally by lots of rationalizing verbiage. Better to work on it symbolically in one's mind first, IMO. But if you are trying to overcome the taboo against jerking off with liver in public, the most effective approach is to do it, at least once. Nobody said that deprogramming was pretty :lol:

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:57 pm

the most extreme music in theory would recognize that music is sound, and has no meaning. therefore explicity brutality in themes is a distraction.

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:08 am

[video][/video]
Both Metasonix users.....

Janarto
Common Wiggler

Post by Janarto » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:58 pm

Pentachoron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pentachoron » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:19 am

“LET THE NIGHT ROAR!”

“Love is the only weapon!”

[video][/video]

Setherian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Setherian » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:03 pm

Wow Vomir is sick, I also found out about White Walls this days, surprised no one mentioned it.

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

Pentachoron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pentachoron » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Setherian wrote:Wow Vomir is sick, I also found out about White Walls this days, surprised no one mentioned it.
I don’t recall hearing of White Walls before, but there are just so many (seemingly thousands) interchangeable harsh/gore/cassette/table-hunching-live noise acts everywhere none tend to stand out long -- if ever.

solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solitaryzen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:44 pm

Pentachoron wrote:
Setherian wrote:Wow Vomir is sick, I also found out about White Walls this days, surprised no one mentioned it.
I don’t recall hearing of White Walls before, but there are just so many (seemingly thousands) interchangeable harsh/gore/cassette/table-hunching-live noise acts everywhere none tend to stand out long -- if ever.
I love the cat sample :lol:

Setherian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Setherian » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:58 pm

I think this White Walls guy is doing it alright though!

:domodance:

Setherian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Setherian » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:07 pm

The austrian computer music heroe Hecker is also very extreme, forgot about him the whole discussion, I have an album from him called Palimpsest with Yasunao Tone, I remember listening to it the first time and I bought it just because it was the strangest thing I had ever heard, now it sounds like some shit I do here every other day.. hehe

[video][/video]

Pentachoron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Pentachoron » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:15 pm

Setherian wrote:I think this White Walls guy is doing it alright though!
Oh yeah -- there’s nothing at all wrong with these White Walls tracks (sound quality is good, there’s at least some degree of dynamics within the noise, etc.), but for me there’s just not much to distinguish those clips (cat sample aside) from so many others I’ve heard in a similar vein. And I don’t wish to come across as “jaded;” I’ve never been an avid fan of harsh noise, and so I haven’t followed the genre and its offshoots closely over the years, but even considering the relatively limited number of artists I’ve listened to, White Walls hits me as too familiar, and unmotivating.

But naturally, the positive effects it has in your ears and on your brain are all that truly matter.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Pentachoron wrote:
Setherian wrote:I think this White Walls guy is doing it alright though!
Oh yeah -- there’s nothing at all wrong with these White Walls tracks (sound quality is good, there’s at least some degree of dynamics within the noise, etc.), but for me there’s just not much to distinguish those clips (cat sample aside) from so many others I’ve heard in a similar vein. And I don’t wish to come across as “jaded;” I’ve never been an avid fan of harsh noise, and so I haven’t followed the genre and its offshoots closely over the years, but even considering the relatively limited number of artists I’ve listened to, White Walls hits me as too familiar, and unmotivating.

But naturally, the positive effects it has in your ears and on your brain are all that truly matter.
I think that there are a lot of noise musicians who are emphasizing quantity over quality, in a way. Let's make this as loud as possible, as aggressive as possible, as 'extreme' as possible, etc. Sometimes this is accompanied by good production, etc - but I find stuff of this type sometimes antithetical to my (probably culturally ignorant) notion of noise music. If all of the stuff from a band/person sounds very similar, even to someone who likes extreme sounds, what does that mean? I think that noise music to me is a use of the largest possible sonic vocabulary, with a focus on the celebration of traditionally non-musical sounds. But, I think like all other genres, most of it, ultimately, is crap. Some of the stuff that draws you in initially because of its sheer intensity, fades once its uniformity conquers all else. Just my jaded opinion.

Setherian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Setherian » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:44 pm

Haha, I honestly think it clean my ears, for some bizarre reason i really feel cleaned after a session of good noise music.

Wow, Im enjoying some Hecker stuff very much at this very moment!

[video][/video]

Setherian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Setherian » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 pm

I agree Nelson, I think it's a genre that can easily lead to boredom and shallow emotions. It is very hard to stand above the mediocre when it comes to harsh noise. And I honestly cannot stand it for too long if it does not have a good n sensitive mind behind it.

This has been a good research for me though, I learned a lot about noise music and also about other edgy types of electronic and accoustic music.
I dont like to repeat history, so this researches should help me tremendously with my own music and I will most certainly keep a few great discoveries closer to my ears while totally avoiding others..

8_)

Return to “Artist Discussion”