Krautrock?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

newgreyarea
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Krautrock?

Post by newgreyarea » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:42 pm

I'm digging it lately. More so than in the past.
I blame this on the Beak> and Anika records from the past couple of years and the documentary I watched on Youtube a while back.
I have some old Can and NEU! records as well.

Let's share some cool tracks or bands we like that fit this genre.
Some new stuff would be ace! So if you know of any cool, new Krautrock bands, please share!

Can we make communal playlists in Spotify? That could be neat as well.

-b

Silflay Hraka
Common Wiggler

Post by Silflay Hraka » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:06 pm

The first Grobschnitt album kicks major ass, after that they got a little weird.

Amon Dul II is another band worthy of checking out.

Also, google Conny Plank, it should give you a few bands to check out, as well as an insight into a truly remarkable man who worked on both sides of the board, with some of the most interesting musicians of the times. (70's - 80's). A quote from Wikipedia:

"According to Rene Tinner and Stefan Plank in a radio documentary about the life of Conny Plank, it was Brian Eno's idea that Plank should produce the U2-album "The Joshua Tree" instead of him. After being introduced to the band by Eno and after a short meeting, Plank turned down the job ("I cannot work with this singer").
Sounds like a cool guy to me!!! :lol:

One of the only ethnic slurs permissable in our times describes some of the coolest music ever made

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:11 pm

My favorite krautrock albums are :

Can : Future Days
Faust : The Faust Tapes
Cluster : Sowiesoso + Zuckerzeit
Neu : '75

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:30 pm

i have about 70 krautrock albums in my collection, huge fan! like most "genres", it's not very descriptive as it was historically long and very varied musically and geographically.

i always seem to come back to the neu!/harmonia/cluster trio as my favourites, but also huge fan of can, tangerine dream, kraftwerk, faust, walter wegmuller, sergius golowin, ash ra tempel, manuel gottsching, amon duul, popol vuh, michael hoenig, guru guru etc. about the only artist i've heard that i'm not too keen on is klaus schulze's solo stuff.

can't recommend the julian cope and "cosmic egg" books highly enough. they should get you started with some great recommendations.

kind of (but not really) associated acts from uk and france are hawkwind and gong.

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:30 pm

There is a lot of this music I really love. Damo-era Can (and their other stuff) , Amon Duul II (and AD I at times), Guru Guru, Neu, early Kraftwerk, Cluster, Harmonia, Conny Plank, Faust - also some music with a complementary vibe which was not from Germany, such as Brainticket, Heldon, Algarnas Tradgard. Also much of the electronic "kosmische musik" could be seen as the periphery of Rock.

I would love to know more about it, but one of the most amazing finds ever was that I downloaded years ago a six-DVD set called "Die Krautrock Nacht" which is television appearances of Krautrock bands from the late 60s-late 70s. Anybody know anything about this set? Was it an official release? Can one buy the set somewhere? Some of the stuff is too poppy for me, but much of it is really brilliant, bands who I thought I'd never see videos from.

miditerranean
Veteran Wiggler

Post by miditerranean » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:45 pm

Ash Ra Tempel and Cosmic Jokers are still some of my favorite krauty records.

Also, pretty much anything that Conny Plank touched was great!

abstraktor

Post by abstraktor » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:22 pm

Big fan.
Can - Ege Bamyasi & The Can Tapes
Faust So Far
Neu! 1st
Harmonia Deluxe
Cluster Sowiesoso
Kraftwerk Ralf und Florian
- this week's choice!

matttech
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by matttech » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:05 pm

ha! one of my mates played in a recent version of Faust for a while (he’s called Jim Hodson). went to see them live at Futuresonic in manchester a few years back and they nearly set the place on fire!

was great though....really industrial and primal. made me think i wanted to do stuff like that for a while - got me all inspired!

there’s TWO fausts now though! i got a load of live recordings Jim did of jams they did - not sure if they ever got released. some great stuff in there

love a bit of Can: Soon Over Babaluma, Future Days, Ege Bamyasi, Tago Mago. all good.

i even really like Landed, although others don’t so much. love all the fuzz guitar ’n shit. “full moon on the highay” is a great track

the stuff with Gilmore later on is horrific (Flow Motion?). reggae? seriously??

Caribou is good for more modern electronic, loop-based Krautrocky stuff....and i think Deerhunter veer into some of that at points too. a lot of the Fall’s stuff is very influenced by Krautrock too....but, as with all Fall output, it’s very hit and miss

a8252359
Learning to Wiggle

Post by a8252359 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Can - Future Days and La Dusseldorf - Viva.

I have never heard anything quite like Future Days and Viva is the only album I've ever heard that is comparable to White Light/White Heat.

Also, I highly recommend Krautrock: Cosmic Rock and It's Legacy.

http://www.amazon.com/Krautrock-Cosmic- ... 682&sr=8-1

Got it for Christmas. Taught me tons of things about the people, labels and, bands of the time. It's all written in a very digestible essay format by a number of different contributors.

Silflay Hraka
Common Wiggler

Post by Silflay Hraka » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Almost forgot about Nektar, esp. "A Tab in the Ocean", "Recycled" and "Down to Earth".
Does Triumvirate count as Krautrock?? If so "Illusions on a Double Dimple" is great

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:53 pm

miditerranean wrote:Ash Ra Tempel and Cosmic Jokers are still some of my favorite krauty records.

Also, pretty much anything that Conny Plank touched was great!
What he said...

theparegorickid
Interzone, Inc.

Post by theparegorickid » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:46 pm

Sand-Ultrasonic Seraphim is worth seeking out.

newgreyarea
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by newgreyarea » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:07 pm

It's amazing how much of this is not on Spotify. They'll have every record by an artist mentioned here except the one suggested!!

Also, recommendations don't need to be strictly German (not that they all are) as I feel the music has inspired similar artist all over. !!! for instance is very Krautrocky to me. I think it's the bass guitar and drum sounds. The Fall as well.
Any particular Caribou album?

Norman_Phay

Post by Norman_Phay » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:20 pm

matttech wrote:“full moon on the highay” is a great track
It is a great track. I really like the bit where the second time the line "full moon on the highway" is sung, there's this totally rad swirly skronk noise mixed in behind the vocal, a great headfuck spot effect. Generally I find Can hit & miss, the best bits are fantastic though.

Favourite KR bands are Popol Vuh, who made many great albums, totally unfuckable with for about a decade, Amon Duul 2, although I only REALLY like "Yeti", most of their other stuff I think is just OK, also Gila, Ash Ra Tempel, a bunch of other stuff too. Recently listened to the 1st 2 Cosmic jokers albs in the car, somewhat hitt & miss I thought.

Julian Cope's KR book, mentioned upthread, I thought a bit bogus. I don't need/want someone telling me what's cool or not, I can work that out for myself, thanks very much.

atari5200
Wiggling with Experience

Post by atari5200 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:16 pm

They are Swedish, and from slightly before the Can/Faust/etc era, but I think Pärson Sound fits in there pretty well.
[video][/video]

atari5200
Wiggling with Experience

Post by atari5200 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Oh and "fake" Krautrock band, Damenbart is pretty awesome as well
[video][/video]

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:52 am

Also check out all of the work that Dieter Dierks did from 1970 into the 80's. Tang Dream, Nektar, Pell Mell, Cosmic Jokers, Embryo, Ash Ra, Passport, Popol Vuh, etc.

amsonx
Grey Man Patcher

Post by amsonx » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:58 am

On youtube you can see a very nice documentary about Krautrock with many interview: Amon Dhul, Rhodelius. Kraftwerk etc etc

FS (EU) Roland R8 MKII perfect condition

richard wrote:
"we just need some mutlinational to grab the copyrights over the sine wave and we are all fucked"

Backroads
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Krautrock?

Post by Backroads » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:16 am

newgreyarea wrote: Some new stuff would be ace! So if you know of any cool, new Krautrock bands,
Cave is from Chicago (mostly) and has releases out on Important and Permanent. One of my favorite current "real" bands, hands down.

From the album Psychic Psummer
[video][/video]

One time I saw them open a set with a cover of Neu!'s Negativland. At the time I hadn't heard the original, but MAN it was great!

[video][/video]

Thread needs more :rastanana:

SepticUnderground
Zombi Wiggler

Post by SepticUnderground » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:23 am

Krautrock fukking rules!

Neu!
Can
all stuff Holger Czukay was doing
Liebezeit
Jah Wobble
Moebius
Cluster!!!!
Guru Guru
Roedelius

etc
etc

[video][/video]

Imagine this happening nowadays at your neigbours :D
http://soundcloud.com/septicstudio
FREE ALBUMS! http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/Septic_Underground

Stopped with becoming the biggest 5U slut in the world

abstraktor

Post by abstraktor » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:48 am

CJ Miller wrote:There is a lot of this music I really love. Damo-era Can (and their other stuff) , Amon Duul II (and AD I at times), Guru Guru, Neu, early Kraftwerk, Cluster, Harmonia, Conny Plank, Faust - also some music with a complementary vibe which was not from Germany, such as Brainticket, Heldon, Algarnas Tradgard. Also much of the electronic "kosmische musik" could be seen as the periphery of Rock.

I would love to know more about it, but one of the most amazing finds ever was that I downloaded years ago a six-DVD set called "Die Krautrock Nacht" which is television appearances of Krautrock bands from the late 60s-late 70s. Anybody know anything about this set? Was it an official release? Can one buy the set somewhere? Some of the stuff is too poppy for me, but much of it is really brilliant, bands who I thought I'd never see videos from.
It looks like it was an official release, but now totally out of print. There are a shitload of naughty torrents for it though. Some brilliant material from what I can see from tracklists. Seeing Can perform on the same programme as the Scorpions might be traumatic though.

I'm also with SepticUnderground on Czukay - Movies and Peak of Normal are seminal works of mighty tape editing madness. I always loved that EP that Jah Wobble did with Czukay etc. Snakecharmer also has it's moments - Francois K's input is nice, but The Edge?
Conny Plank is the best producer the 70/80's had IMHO - and that includes Mr Parsons.

Babaluma

Post by Babaluma » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:46 am

Norman_Phay wrote:Julian Cope's KR book, mentioned upthread, I thought a bit bogus. I don't need/want someone telling me what's cool or not, I can work that out for myself, thanks very much.
i think it's a fantastic book! one of the funniest and most hear-felt music books i own. it's also very tongue in cheek from start to end. i don't think julian is trying to force you into thinking what's cool and what's not. in fact i can't remember him saying anything that was "not cool"!

AntManBee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AntManBee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:25 am

I suppose that they don't really fall into the Krautrock genre (perhaps they're post-krautrock), but Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft (DAF) made three incredibly great albums in the 1980s, all produced by Conny Plank.

Alles ist Gut
Gold und Liebe
Für Immer

Their power, directness and sparse simplicity has its parallel in blues players like Robert Johnson & Son House (even though DAF are thoroughly european and free from blues influence), with the additional brute force of Robert Görl's drumming (which is more free-form than Jaki Liebezeit & Klaus Dinger's motorik playing).

Conny Plank also had a significant influence on British pop music in the late 1970s/early 1980s, producing Ultravox's best album 'Systems of Romance' (and some later work when Midge Ure was lead singer, including 'Vienna') and Eurythmics first album, and his influence on Eno is well-documented.

e-grad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by e-grad » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:39 am

AntManBee wrote:I suppose that they don't really fall into the Krautrock genre (perhaps they're post-krautrock), but Deutsch Amerikanische Freundschaft (DAF) made three incredibly great albums in the 1980s, all produced by Conny Plank.
Alles ist Gut
Gold und Liebe
Für Immer
No, not at all Krautrock.

In a doc on Krautrock one of its protaganist explained all of them were part of a post-war generation that were more familiar with european classical and contemporary classical music than with rock music. Thus they had to come up with something different on their attempt on rock music. Czukay for expample was born in 1938 studied under Stockhausen. I think this point of view very plausible.

Of course there were points of contact since Kraftwerk, Neu and La Düsseldorf had a beer at the Ratinger Hof which was the base of the punk subculture in the region. This is were DAF started as well. Gabi was even briefly part of the punk band Charly's Girls who became the notorious Mittagspause. However, the background of DAF is much more broad since they grew up with anglo-american popular music.

Mind you any possible Krautrock influence is rather present in those recording made by DAF prior those above mentioned three albums.

Ein Produkt der Deutsch-Amerikanischen Freundschaft from 1979
[video][/video]

Die Kleinen und die Bösen album from 1980
[video][/video]

Frankly speaking, back then I loved, adored Die Kleinen und die Bösen (and liked Ein Produkt der...) but any later work of them is plain...

I'll leave it here. :hihi:

Norman_Phay

Post by Norman_Phay » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:00 am

Norman_Phay wrote:
matttech wrote:“full moon on the highay” is a great track
It is a great track. I really like the bit where the second time the line "full moon on the highway" is sung, there's this totally rad swirly skronk noise mixed in behind the vocal, a great headfuck spot effect. .
Ha, I got mixed up, was thinking of "Hunters and Collectors", listen (0.07):

[video][/video]

"Full moon on the Highway" still great though.

Return to “Artist Discussion”