Krautrock?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

snevlida14
Common Wiggler

Post by snevlida14 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:27 pm

Cosmic Jokers !

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Out of curiosity, am I one of the very few who claim to like krautrock without enjoying early Faust and most albums produced by Can?

Common Wiggler

Post by 1977 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:44 pm

Scories wrote:Out of curiosity, am I one of the very few who claim to like krautrock without enjoying early Faust and most albums produced by Can?
Most probably :wow:

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:48 pm

1977 wrote:
Scories wrote:Out of curiosity, am I one of the very few who claim to like krautrock without enjoying early Faust and most albums produced by Can?
Most probably :wow:
I guess I have a hard time with that piercing guitar sound that's all over these records. Faust 3 is one of my favourite albums though. Future Days is nice as well.

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:15 am

Scories wrote:I guess I have a hard time with that piercing guitar sound that's all over these records. Faust 3 is one of my favourite albums though. Future Days is nice as well.
Now I'm going to have to find piercing guitar sounds on Tago Mago.. maybe Ege Bamyasi is harsh?
Faust Tapes ? :hmm:

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:33 pm

cretaceousear wrote:
Scories wrote:I guess I have a hard time with that piercing guitar sound that's all over these records. Faust 3 is one of my favourite albums though. Future Days is nice as well.
Now I'm going to have to find piercing guitar sounds on Tago Mago.. maybe Ege Bamyasi is harsh?
Yes, I was reffering to the Faust Tapes album. Faust 4 is nice too.
About Can : Damo can be quite annoying as a signer... though I do enjoy Spoon quite a lot.

I'd rather listen to some early Frank Zappa (eg. Lumpy Gravy, Uncle Meat) when I'm in the mood for good old studio-mess experimental rock music.

Atomicunderware
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Atomicunderware » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Gila 'Free Electric Sound' is excellent

bitbin
Common Wiggler

Post by bitbin » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Scories
I know what you mean about the super treble on these albums but maybe it was the coke!? ;)

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:57 pm

bitbin wrote:I know what you mean about the super treble on these albums
Hmm, I've only ever heard them on vinyl - I bet that takes the harsh edge away.
Damo annoying? Choke on keyboard..
So many masterpieces for me! Halleluwah

popvulture
Common Wiggler

Post by popvulture » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:37 pm

cretaceousear wrote:
Tago Mago's guitar sounds can pierce me anytime.

Also I tried to search this thread and don't think anyone's posted these guys yet... if one of you have, please forgive my newbness.

But yep, a band doing new Kraut stuff that's pretty damn solid (this song's VERY Neu but the rest of it diverges):

[video][/video]

kindredlost
5U skiff friendly

Post by kindredlost » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:06 pm

bitbin wrote:Scories
I know what you mean about the super treble on these albums but maybe it was the coke!? ;)
More than likely the unregulated loud performance levels of most music in the 70's - on. Hearing damage is a stigmata of almost all musicians from the decades before the 80's. I can recall many mixing nights with fellow musicians who insisted on annoying high-end levels due to hearing loss and of course thinking the new availability of ADAT and better tape quality was reason enough to over-compensate for what was missing from generations of limited fidelity recordings prior.

diophantine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by diophantine » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:54 pm

Similar situation here. I do enjoy the first two Faust albums, but I've never heard anything by Can that I enjoyed.

:hide:

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:05 pm

I've got Ege Bamyasi and Soon over Babaluma here. Super nice sleeves, inspiring titles, glowing reviews, but as I put theses records on, I feel nothing. I tried numerous times, always with the same results.

Though Cluster is instant love for me. Faust is 50/50. Neu3 is sweet.

Just want to share... to go against the concensus that every musician must love every krautrock record. :confused:

Eme
Common Wiggler

Post by Eme » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:14 am

Scories wrote:Just want to share... to go against the concensus that every musician must love every krautrock record. :confused:
Oh, that is not a concesus at all. I don't like every krautrock record nor every song from the krautrock bands I like.

In fact, in my opinion one common characteristic of every 'experimental' genre is that requires some 'work' to enjoy it. I mean, if I approached kraut without any prior knowledge of the historic context and the philosophy of the musicians involved, I would have said something like 'meh', and moved away. But I was really attracted to that philosophy, so probably gave it more chances just for that reason. And as a result I genuinely started to like it and got used to that lo-fi, poorly recorded sound.

Does it mean that I instantly love every song?. No way, and I think that's nearly impossible in a genre like this, where lots of crazy stuff were done (like recording the sound of a concrete mixer, animals, extreme dissonancies...).

Ok, here ends the rational part. Now, DUDE, YOU DON'T LIKE EGE BAMYASI!!?? WTF?? :woah: :lol:

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:07 am

If you don't like Ege Bamyasi or Soon over Babaluma, you need to try Future days and Tago Mago :tu:
Me I'm not that bothered about T Dream.

Subby
1-Post Wiggler

New Krautrock

Post by Subby » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Check out this new release "Tin" by Voitcamp.
The song "Lasting Chance"--very krautrock sounding.

echoes_of_wind
Learning to Wiggle

Post by echoes_of_wind » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:47 pm

i'm kind of there as well... like Guru Guru, Dom, Kalacakra, Holderlin, Ougenweide... Ash Ra Tempel, Popol Vuh, Agitation Free... T. Dream, Schulze of course... many others... I don't mind the more experimental stuff but honestly don't listen to it too often. more into it for the psych vibes.

also I like the swedish prog even better -- Bo Hansson, Algarnas Tradgard etc.
Last edited by echoes_of_wind on Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idunno
Common Wiggler

Post by Idunno » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:34 am

I like alot of Krautrock, been getting into it more over the years. Amon Duul ll, Can (shows what having a world class drummer can do for a band), Agitation Free, Cluster, Popol Vah, Ash Ra Tempel and others.

I never got on much with the Neu, Faust, Tangerine Dream stuff I’ve heard. Musical taste is such a funny selective thing.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Someone reposted BBC4's Krautrock doc on YouTube last month. Don't know how long it will stay up.

[video][/video]

Tun
Common Wiggler

Post by Tun » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:28 am

Adminius wrote:Thought I'd take a look at this thread to see if I could add anything, but all of my fave KR bands/artists have already been mentioned - all early stuff.

I just have to big up Ashra, though. Manuel Goettsching was very influential in my musically formative years.
Same here, all my mates were into the Jam but I was obsessed with MG at the time!

lilnoah95
Common Wiggler

Post by lilnoah95 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:26 pm

I love Faust and also a lot of industrial like throbbing gristle was heavily influenced by kraut

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:19 am

nostalghia wrote:Hey-for all you Michael Rother fans (Neu, Harmonia, solo), there's a great interview with him in the latest issue of Tape Op (available by free subscription as PDF or print mag, also some newsstands & music stores have it-got this one at local Gtr Center, used to get the mag bi-monthly by mail).
He tells some stories about the sessions in the woods of Forst with the Cluster guys for the Harmonia albums, playing live, early days with Neu, etc.

Here's the teaser for the article (subscribe free to read all of it):
Tape Op-Rother interview (partial).
Well worth getting the whole issue-special focus on 70's and 80's UK and EU electronic music.

And if you don't know about it, there's a 5-lp box set from Harmonia "Complete Works" with some unreleased material, 36 pg booklet and poster (currently sold out at Amazon, etc):
Harmonia Complete
I really enjoy his Katzenmusik (cat music) album.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:56 am

Good thread this - as a bit of a dabbler it's given me plenty of stuff to dig into.

Have any of the Kraut aficionados on here read Electri_City by Rudi Esch, and if so, what did you think? It's essentially a account of two generations of Dusseldorf bands - Kraftwerk / Neu / La Dusseldorf and DAF / Die Krupps / Propaganda - told as an oral history built out of tons of interview material.

I found it really interesting, but I'd like to know what people who are more knowledgeable than I am about the era thought. For instance, the only member of Kraftwerk who contributes is Wolfgang Flür, which means that you end up with a strong sense of Ralf and Florian basically being assholes - albeit assholes with some great ideas - which might come out differently in other tellings of the story...

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:20 am

Except for a few songs I have a hard time getting into Faust, seems a bit weird for the sake of being weird at times, I do appreciate this quote from Peron about firing the original drummer:

“"he discussed things, because he had flat buttocks and an absolutely beautiful girlfriend, because he practised every day, because he always kept his room neat and woke up every morning to first wet a cloth he'd put in front of his room to keep the dirt out, because he played such a hard 4/4th that we had to travel into the tongue, ready to drop, ding dong is handsome top."”

FiltroMan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FiltroMan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:35 pm

[video][/video]
[video][/video]

[video][/video]
:yay:
Last edited by FiltroMan on Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Artist Discussion”