Drexciya

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

idontknow
Common Wiggler

Post by idontknow » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:56 am

gruebleengourd wrote:Well, I too am a bit less than moved by the new dopplereffekt. The glacial drones and basic beats approach doesn't really expand my auditory experience. When I compare it with something like Virtual Geisha the joy difference is enormous. Frankly, after 10 years of research time I was hoping for something a bit less bland.
Yep, totally on board with you here. I mean the album is good, but not that good. I've been listening to it a lot lately but yeah, It doesn't blew up my mind..
On the other hand, I think they managed to get the cleanest sound they ever had, which in this case is not an issue
(and should be noted as so, as one of the thing that made dopllereffekt sound so special was the subtle grittiness all over the sound)

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 am

New unreleased on clone :nana: :nana: :nana: :banana: :banana:
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

simonhold
Common Wiggler

Post by simonhold » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:24 am

Heinrich Mueller AKA Gerald Donald - “False Vacuum” 2LP containing several rare remixes just out on the Brussel's WEME Records.

https://wemerecords.com/shop/heinrich-m ... pre-order/

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:13 am

Thanks for the link. Preordered

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:56 am

I'm really caught down the rabbit hole with this one. Hadn't really paid much attention to Drexciya before. Whoa.

breadman
Common Wiggler

Post by breadman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:16 am

geremyf wrote:I'm really caught down the rabbit hole with this one. Hadn't really paid much attention to Drexciya before. Whoa.
You listen to them for a bit and it seems sort of obvious at first, then you hear a track like "Wavejumper" or "Hydro Cubes" and suddenly all their tracks make perfect sense and they're your favorite group.
Need a synth built? Get in touch!

email: jschnvr@gmail.com
IG: @jackssynthbazaar

geremyf
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by geremyf » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Something like that. I was listening to "The Mutant Gillmen" and the first minute of the song I was thinking "eesh this isn't one of their better ones" but it was one of my favorites by the time the song ended!

jeremisssx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jeremisssx » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:35 pm

A new project from Donald got released few months ago :

https://www.discogs.com/Xor-Gate-Conic- ... er/1349112

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:49 pm

I miss Kwote :zombie:
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

BailyDread
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BailyDread » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:15 am

Drexciya is real genius: inimitable, coyly simple, and loaded with the "magic" we're all chasing... they're practically their own genre, IMO.

RIP... respect and gratitude for all your artistic generosity while you were with us. your words were frank and concise, humbling and inspiring, and your music does nothing less than thicken and enrich our experience of living.

thank you fellas :waah:

depth of field
Learning to Wiggle

Post by depth of field » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Reading through the newly posted interview with James makes me love Drexciya and the other related projects even more.

http://drexciyaresearchlab.blogspot.com

Digesting all the music, over time, I've felt I've been able to pick out who does what. Or where the influencers are in certain sections. I'm glad Gerald is still working on things, but I often wonder if the loss of James still haunts him as his music has gotten so cold and melancholic and less funky and sarcastic.

I think my favorite release is the Shifted Phases album. Which I read in an interview with Carola from Tresor was a wedding gift from Gerald to James. That album feels more like a Gerald Donald record and the track titles as well lean more into the space theme rather than water.

Either way, there is so much to enjoy from all eras that fit any mood or thought process one may want to enhance and explore.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:42 am

depth of field wrote:I think my favorite release is the Shifted Phases album. Which I read in an interview with Carola from Tresor was a wedding gift from Gerald to James. That album feels more like a Gerald Donald record and the track titles as well lean more into the space theme rather than water.
Definitely my favourite album and I used to love DJing tracks from that album in that deep time around 4-5am to a receptive crowd, along with this https://www.discogs.com/Beroshima-Lost- ... ease/63704

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:06 am

depth of field wrote:Reading through the newly posted interview with James makes me love Drexciya and the other related projects even more.

http://drexciyaresearchlab.blogspot.com
Just listening to the interview, it's a thing about Drexciya that Drexciya was always in the future and the past at the same time, and listening to a 2002 interview for the first time is in that vein.

breadman
Common Wiggler

Post by breadman » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:12 am

depth of field wrote:Drexciya was always in the future and the past at the same time
Their music will be this way in a hundred or a thousand years as well.
Need a synth built? Get in touch!

email: jschnvr@gmail.com
IG: @jackssynthbazaar

CoreInside
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Drexciya

Post by CoreInside » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:48 pm

https://bleep.com/release/158503-abstra ... ct-thought

this is so good

3 amazingly haunting tracks from 2003

made by james stinson

naos