Drexciya

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

jimmyedgar
Ultra Violet Vibrator

Post by jimmyedgar » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:49 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:
jimmyedgar wrote:I grew up a massive dopplereffekt fan, Drexciya wasn't until later for me but still before James died. He was a truck driver, died of heart attack just after he made other people's place. Gerald is still around, I've collected some of the most bizarre stories of him. He's an enigma around detroit with the generation older than I

They did use modular. I know bmg was letting Gerald use his studio for awhile, he would take the bus over there. They had arp sequencers and korg stuff. Moog synths and pro one was used a lot, sh101 too. They did a lot of tape pitching that's why some of 808s sound different. They used sk1 and whatever they could get

We did another show recently at berghein and he uses a triton exclusively for arpanet. He plays live on it too.
Hey Jimmy what makes you think they used modular? I've been to BMG's studio in the early 2000s and he had no modular stuff, so if you mean that they had access to modulars through BMG, that wouldn't be the case - lots of great analog synths, but no modular. I was told from someone in the know that Pro1 and Mono-Poly were the 2 main synths with these guys, along with a Juno for the chords. In addition to the obvious 808 & 909, there were some infamous stories of early Dopplereffekt shows where there would be very long pauses between songs while the next songs' sounds were loading up on an Emulator. With the massive punch on those drum samples, it's not hard to believe that an old Emu was the source.
jason, this was before 2000.. from what i know they used an arp sequencer and korg ms20, which is more semi-modular. apparently there was another studio they were using that had some additional stuff, more of the digital technology. this is coming from gerald years ago, so who knows really.. but yeah youre right

pro1 and monopoly are definitely the main synths used on gesamkuntswerk

hello from sweden

poorpot
Common Wiggler

Post by poorpot » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:32 pm

just read the discography of gerald donald and was really surprised that i own so much of his work. so many different aliases and groups.

japanese telecom - virtual geisha
is a gem

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:17 am

obiex wrote:[video][/video]
This is the real raw Stinson shit - yours on vinyl for only a few hundred bucks I believe...
I don't like this version... I was given another version of this track years ago.

.....but yeah the record is super rare, and think about the time it was made- hear any other rap tracks with this type of score? History

....and by the way every drexciya track was recorded live

drox
Wiggling with Experience

Post by drox » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:51 am

awesome thanks

drox
Wiggling with Experience

Post by drox » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:57 am

jimmyedgar wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:
jimmyedgar wrote:I grew up a massive dopplereffekt fan, Drexciya wasn't until later for me but still before James died. He was a truck driver, died of heart attack just after he made other people's place. Gerald is still around, I've collected some of the most bizarre stories of him. He's an enigma around detroit with the generation older than I

They did use modular. I know bmg was letting Gerald use his studio for awhile, he would take the bus over there. They had arp sequencers and korg stuff. Moog synths and pro one was used a lot, sh101 too. They did a lot of tape pitching that's why some of 808s sound different. They used sk1 and whatever they could get

We did another show recently at berghein and he uses a triton exclusively for arpanet. He plays live on it too.
Hey Jimmy what makes you think they used modular? I've been to BMG's studio in the early 2000s and he had no modular stuff, so if you mean that they had access to modulars through BMG, that wouldn't be the case - lots of great analog synths, but no modular. I was told from someone in the know that Pro1 and Mono-Poly were the 2 main synths with these guys, along with a Juno for the chords. In addition to the obvious 808 & 909, there were some infamous stories of early Dopplereffekt shows where there would be very long pauses between songs while the next songs' sounds were loading up on an Emulator. With the massive punch on those drum samples, it's not hard to believe that an old Emu was the source.
jason, this was before 2000.. from what i know they used an arp sequencer and korg ms20, which is more semi-modular. apparently there was another studio they were using that had some additional stuff, more of the digital technology. this is coming from gerald years ago, so who knows really.. but yeah youre right

pro1 and monopoly are definitely the main synths used on gesamkuntswerk

hello from sweden
thanks for a little bit of insight jimmy. I've also wondered many times which synths may have been used in many of their productions

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:00 am

Well I like this one as well. It's killer :love:

[video][/video]

Check Mate
Aquatic Beta Particle

Post by Check Mate » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:43 pm

The reissue of the Transllusion LP and 12" is available now.
The LP is also available as 3x12" with 2 unreleased tracks only available on CD before!

http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=25944

vanjorny
Learning to Wiggle

Anyone knows the type of deep organ sound on this track?

Post by vanjorny » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:22 am

Anyone knows the type of deep organ sound on this track?

I guess FM?

Somebody knows where to get nice FM Patches especially for Sequencing stuff?
(I am too lazy)

BTW I am using a DX 21.

THANKS muffwigglies!

:bananaguitar: :bananaguitar: :bananaguitar:

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sat May 07, 2016 8:44 pm

I'm surprised there haven't been more posthumous releases
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

venus_3036
Common Wiggler

Post by venus_3036 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:07 am

hmm i feel like there have been tons of posthumous releases, or at least reissues

pelican
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pelican » Sun May 08, 2016 5:18 pm

yeah reissues
WTB: Yamaha dx-11 manual

toothless_wonder
Wiggling with Experience

Post by toothless_wonder » Sat May 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Lets not forget The Other People Place ‎– Lifestyles Of The Laptop Café , Jimmy mentioned it , such a lucious album !!!

prae
Wiggling with Experience

Post by prae » Tue May 17, 2016 10:53 am

Someone played an all Drexciya set at Bloc festival this year. To a swimming pool of fucked up ravers. With a wave machine.

It was awesome.

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:33 am

prae wrote:Someone played an all Drexciya set at Bloc festival this year. To a swimming pool of fucked up ravers. With a wave machine.

It was awesome.
Swimming pools and fucked up ravers sounds like a really bad combo! (I speak from experience .)
Last edited by zolar_czakl on Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

zolar_czakl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zolar_czakl » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:39 am

I recently fell into a deep Credits rabbit hole. Their music is fantastic! Can't believe i never heard much if anything from them in my early 90s raver days. I also dig Juan Atkins stuff a lot.

freqout
Common Wiggler

Post by freqout » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:36 pm

very good 2 hour mix of all Drexciya and Drexciya-related material here:

https://soundcloud.com/vlr/return-to-bubble-metropolis

iamnothuman
Common Wiggler

Post by iamnothuman » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:03 am

So many excellent insights in this discussion, so thank you. Whenever I listen to Drexciya, I'm always baffled by the degree of stylistic/aesthetic assimilation between Donald and Stinson, to the point that sometimes it's hard to pinpoint exactly what is being done by whom, especially after listening to individual side projects. They both can be either harsh and experimental, or deeply tender, and they're both extremely committed to that unequaled "electro" sound they so carefully polished. Stinson does lean a bit more to the openly emotional, but I'm afraid I'm somewhat biased (and mystified) by the tragic circumstances surrounding his last moments on this earth.

turin horsey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by turin horsey » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:16 am

Love Drexciya, was really surprised to see their records displayed at a contemporary art exhibition here in SF called the Ocean After Nature (https://www.ybca.org/whats-on/the-ocean-after-nature). They were actually in a closed glass exhibition case, and had the music playing through headphones that people could pick up and listen to, unfortunately the volume was incredibly low and the headphones sounded like crap anyway.

From the high art community to fucked-up-raver-pools, that's saying something.

slow_riot
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slow_riot » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:44 am

prae wrote:Someone played an all Drexciya set at Bloc festival this year. To a swimming pool of fucked up ravers. With a wave machine.

It was awesome.
https://soundcloud.com/epm-music/epm-po ... /live-sets

mackster
Common Wiggler

Post by mackster » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:16 am

If anyone's interested I recently did an electro podcast with a lot of Donald Simpson - Drexciya (Der Zyklus/Dopplereffekt etc.) tracks and other assorted classics old and new.

Usual drill for these podcasts - all vinyl 2 decks and a mixer.

https://soundcloud.com/hierophant/state ... -sept-2016

venus_3036
Common Wiggler

Post by venus_3036 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:11 am

heres a fantastic extension of Sighting In The Abyss..

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/173582731" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

brianobush
Common Wiggler

Post by brianobush » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:41 pm

richardm123uk wrote:This track is perfect

Yes, this track is amazing, right before he died. RIP Stinson.

gimber
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gimber » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:09 am

brianobush wrote:
richardm123uk wrote:This track is perfect

Yes, this track is amazing, right before he died. RIP Stinson.
This is one of my favorite tracks as well :love:

sopresada
Common Wiggler

Post by sopresada » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:42 am

The Drexciya sound is *all* about the Super Jupiter

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/mks80.php

Although Gerald Donald is a Korg workstation power-user these days.

Heavy Metal Kid
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Heavy Metal Kid » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:02 am

sopresada wrote:The Drexciya sound is *all* about the Super Jupiter

http://www.vintagesynth.com/roland/mks80.php

Although Gerald Donald is a Korg workstation power-user these days.

I'm getting quite a few Drexciya sounds from my MKS50, s well.

Return to “Artist Discussion”