Legendary Pink Dots

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

deadrose
Learning to Wiggle

Post by deadrose » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:03 pm

Tago Mago wrote:
cycad73 wrote:Eyeless in Gaza
:tu:
:tu: :tu:

I spent so long without finding another Eyeless in Gaza fan, I began to think I'd hallucinated the band.

pulsewidth
Common Wiggler

Post by pulsewidth » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:54 pm

One more Eyeless In Gaza fan here...

scuto
Wiggling with Experience

Post by scuto » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Thanks for sharing recommendations, all--I have six LPD and related CDs, which makes me feel like a beginner! And now I get to check out Eyeless in Gaza... :sb:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:55 am

I have Maria Dimension and Poppy Variations.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

HighLordFixer
Ultra Wiggler

Post by HighLordFixer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:06 am

last time saw them was in Chicago at lounge ax
across the street from wax trax on lincoln
maybe 96/97?
awesome show
my old friend was pals with Ka-Spel
thinking we got put on guest list or something
ended up helping them load out that night

Wray
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Wray » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:55 pm

New Edward Ka-spel on Des Astres d'Or
http://www.des-astres-dor.com/category/edward-ka-spel/

InsectInPixel
Common Wiggler

Re:

Post by InsectInPixel » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Scot Solida wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:15 pm
The Dots are old friends of mine. I first saw Edward's solo gig opening for Skinny Puppy back in 1987 (egads. 22 years ago!), and we befriended the Dots on their first US tour a couple of years later (as a three piece). They stayed over at our place on a couple of the early tours and we hung out quite a bit, going to a number of shows, driving to the Grand Canyon, record shopping together (Edward bought me my first Magma album). We haven't been in touch over the past few years, but we share a label (beta-lactam ring records). I built Edward a theremin yonks ago (after he saw me play mine during an opening slot for LPD).

LPD collectors have probably seen some of my illustration in various Dots vinyl releases. I did the poster that came with the vinyl of "Perfect Mystery" (art and printing) and the gatefold and back cover of Edward's "O'er a Shalabaster Tyde". I printed the sleeves and stickers for the Perfect Mystery vinyl, too. Also, did a neat t-shirt art/print and insert for "Absence of Evidence".

I've watched their gear change over the decades. From Ensoniq and Alpha-Junos to K2000, Wavestation and MS-10/20 to MS2000 and V-Synth.

I've always dug what they do. My favorites are Edward's solo "Eyes China Doll" and LPD's "Shadow Weaver, pt 1" and Asylum. I've got quite a few rarities, including a number of extra copies of the vinyl of A Perfect Mystery (anyone wants a copy, let me know. I have around a dozen of them left).

I've seen dozens of LPD shows. The absolute best ever I saw was the first show they did in Denver, at the Mercury Cafe back when
"From Here You'll Watch The World Go By". Truly immense performance (and a great album).
I have that on vinyl and still have the t-shirt!
I make UnderBridge for the Elektron Analog Keys. https://youtu.be/dowAKQkFAE0

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Legendary Pink Dots

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:37 pm

I remember picking up Any Day Now out of a whim in the late 80's. This was on a class trip to Stockholm, i had money for just 1 album and i was super into bands like Depeche Mode and Kraftwerk but i wanted to find other synth bands (which could be quite difficult at the time, very little info and even quite hard to even find these, at the time, "alternative" bands in stores, unless you went to a bigger city). Anyways, it was in the "Synth" section so i just went for it and hoped for best.

The music really surprised me and didn't grab me at first, i found it really odd and not similar to e.g Kraftwerk or DM.. but this was back when you couldn't just click "next", it really paid off to listen to it multiple times, to this date one of my favorite albums. It's somewhat hard to listen to these days, i find it too emotional, doesn't bring BAD feelings but overwhelming ones that i'm bad at handling i guess.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Legendary Pink Dots

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:32 pm

I only really know that Frosty song.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Return to “Artist Discussion”