Doesn't anyone listen to Phillip Glass or Steve Reich ?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

odecahedron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by odecahedron » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:59 pm

^^may as well... those diddlie mantras can get stuck in your head like that for days.

lukescheybeler
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lukescheybeler » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:48 pm

I always find the idea of both Glass and Reich more appealing than the actual experience of listening to them. I know it's kind of missing the point, but I just end up getting bored.

Glass's Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack is amazing, but only in tandem with the visuals. It just seems absurdly pompous otherwise.

In terms of a pure listening experience Arvo Part is for me more interesting, although he's really not doing the same sort of stuff. 'Summa' is really beautiful:

[video][/video]

Alternatively, (and I realise 'psychedelic, minimal, folk' sounds f*ckin' terrible) Spiro are really interesting. Their album Kaleidophonica is excellent. Sort of like a cross between Reich and Planxty.

[video] [/video]

On the electronic, looped, Krautrock side of things, Harmonia have some very hauntingly beautiful stuff, not really classic 'minimalism' but great.

[video][/video]

lloydcole
Veteran Wiggler

Post by lloydcole » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:12 am

18 Musicians is maybe my favourite piece of music and I almost always find something to like in Reich's work. Glass, I struggle with.

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Re: Doesn't anyone listen to Phillip Glass or Steve Reich ?

Post by Monobass » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:21 am

wmbb wrote:I haven't examined the whole thread but was surprised to see all the kind of heavy metal and other non-electronic stuff that folks were listening to. I like a lot of that myself but wanted to let you guys know, if you don't already, that the most electronic non-electronic music you'll ever hear if by Phillip Glass and Steve Reich (try anything before 1978 first - like Music for 17 Musicians by SR or Einstein of the Beach by PG).
I think the reason you don't read about them is that at least one or the other is probably fairly ubiquitously adored by most wigglers, the minimalist elephant in the room :)
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

haiku-ish
gigwilling with dilsexy

Post by haiku-ish » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:31 am

I use to love them both, but now i listen mostly to Steve Reich.
Piano phase !

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:50 am

Organ Phase :love:
Thonk - CLICK HERE - Modular Synth DIY + Eurorack Accessories Store

odecahedron
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by odecahedron » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:58 am

marimba phase?

langley
Wiggling with Experience

Post by langley » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:00 am

Saw reich a few weeks ago playing radiohead amongst other things. Love both of them. Glass and shankar did a great album together (passages).

xclark
Veteran Wiggler

Post by xclark » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:22 pm

What Radiohead songs and how we're they performed?

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:33 pm

xclark wrote:What Radiohead songs and how we're they performed?
He did a thing based on 'Everything in it's right place' and 'Jigsaw falling into place' - very little of those songs made it into the Reich compositions!

They weren't my favourite pieces of his, but it was an interesting evening.

Amazing Reich piece that hasn't been mentioned yet is 'Different Trains', about WWII and the holocaust, built around snippets of speech recordings, using the pitch of the speech as a basis for the melodies in the pieces.

twincities
Wiggling with Experience

Post by twincities » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:41 pm

huge glass fan! he's one of the big things that got me into piano based music years ago. i got to see him perform twice last year. lovely man to hear speak.

stk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stk » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:49 pm

I went through a "phase" (har har) many years ago.
In the end I grew tired of them, and tend to prefer the "heavy metal and other non-electronic stuff" :tu:

synchro1
Common Wiggler

Post by synchro1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Have listened to both extensively since my youth in the 60s along with Riley, Young, Mother Mallard. The Met Opera HD broadcast of Satyagraha a few years back was quite good, not sure if it would work on the small screen. Would travel a long distance if anyone hears of an excellent production of Akhnaten.

If only for Music for 18 Musicians, I prefer Mr. Reich. Saw him with So Percussion down at Stanford not long ago & he looked healthy & happy, joining in on Clapping to open.

Growing up in NYC & NYU 75, you get used to seeing famous people. Once had a ride in a cab Philip was driving near mid-town.
Memory believes before knowing remembers.

Backroads
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Backroads » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:25 pm

I love Reich and Riley. I recently bugged a friend really into Glass what to check out that is more stereotypically "minimal" but he had no idea. Good thread :tu:

thebrotherspus
Veteran Wiggler

Post by thebrotherspus » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:12 am

It's gonna rain!!!!!

I like both composers a lot.... Although both have produced work I don't like as well.
I saw Einstein on the Beach live in Toronto last year. It was awesome! 4 and a half hour opera.... Lots of arpeggios :hihi:

wmbb
Common Wiggler

Post by wmbb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:55 pm

[quote="xpander"]i vividly remember hearing my brother play "Glassworks" on the stereo one weekend morning when i was in high school, i connected with it immediately. since then i've seen him perform and lecture. i dig Reich, too, but to a lesser extent.

[video][/video]

Yes, doesn't that cut make you feel just ... exuberant ?

I remember my "first time" very vividly too.

I heard it on New Years Day 1984 on a show called "Good Morning Mr. Orwell" that was hosted by another very interesting artist, Laurie Anderson (and ... I'm not sure... William Burroughs?)

This cut was in a video that included a koyaanisqatsi type flyover taken from a low flying airplane with a rotating sort of 3 dimensional geometric figure in it. I don't think I have ever seen it again.

Well, I stand corrected. Wikipedia says the show was made by Nam June Paik and Laurie Anderson was on it but does not appear to have hosted it. BTW John Cage was also on it.

Anyway, I rmember my 1st time too. Great cut, powerful music!

wmbb
Common Wiggler

And Look What I Found !

Post by wmbb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:57 pm

And look what I found on another thread!

[video][/video][/quote]

Phased phrases (see Terry Riley's Rainbow in Curved Air) - phrases that very gradually expand and contract, get louder, quieter, faster, slower, higher, lower in a delightfully predictable manner. It is so rewarding to be able to see these processes occurring, see what is coming from a mile away, and then disappear or mutate just as gradually- as Reich said, like observing sand at a beach gradually accumulating around around your toes.

This music is not electronic though - but check it out, if you haven't already, and it will almost certainly change your ideas about electronic music forever. Your conception of sequences may never be the same.I

I could be evangelistic about this.

:hail: :hail: :hail:

wmbb
Common Wiggler

Post by wmbb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Deleted duplicate post - sorry
Last edited by wmbb on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wmbb
Common Wiggler

Repetition is the image of eternity in music

Post by wmbb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:09 pm

Steve Reich : "Repetition is the image of eternity in music."

traveler
Common Wiggler

Post by traveler » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:02 pm

My go to Steve Reich album is Different Trains. An absolute classic. My mind was blown when I found out that the Kronos Quartet was playing all the music in real time and they weren't samples looping!

pianoscope
Common Wiggler

Post by pianoscope » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:43 pm

i think this is amazing, rinsing out the prophet V

[video][/video]

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:13 am

Love them both and listened to their stuff all the time as a kid as it was some of the easiest stuff to find here as far as electronic and experimental music goes. Also listened to a lot of electronic new age as well as a kid as again was easiest stuff to find.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:00 am

richard wrote:I think there is really no such genre as minimalism and I find these two composers have nothing in common and actually shouldn't ever be mentioned in the same breath. I really like Music for 18 Musicians and many of Reich's pieces. But I once made the mistake of going to see a Glass opera - seriously one of the most depressing evenings of my life.

The only Glass I really like is Koyaanisqatsi because his sad, hopeless, depressing music fits exactly with the sad, hopeless, depressing imagery of the film, which is an amazing achievement in its way.
I'd agree that Reich's process music, which he's moved way beyond since the seventies/eighties, has little to do with Glass's ostinatos. Glass can be very effective as film music (the qatsi trilogy, The Truman Show) but doesn't really hold my attention for long as listening music. Reich, on the other hand, is always fascinating and new.

On the other hand, I did once see Glass at the Albert Hall (I think) in the eighties, and it was a very impressive experience. Never yet had the opportunity to see Reich.
"Music is man, described to man, in the language of things."
"A tape is interesting when it's an interesting tape."
"It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New EP: étude @ strettara.bandcamp

Make sure to visit The Avant Garde Project

gwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by gwaidan » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:49 am

Saw Steve Reich and musicians at the Sydney Opera House in Feb 2003-Percussion Pt 1, Piano Phase/Video phase (a guy playing midi triggers and going out of phase with his own projection) and Different Trains, plus Q&A with him after the show, where he admitted doing a lot of his compositions on a MIDI rig!

Music for 18 Musicians (ECM) is magic-right up there with Gavin Bryars' original Sinking of the Titanic for me.

And if you ever listened to a lot of Tortoise then you were listening to Steve Reich... :hide:

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:47 am

pianoscope wrote:i think this is amazing, rinsing out the prophet V
LOVE that clip. Saw Philip Glass Ensemble at Union Chapel last year, he still does the head-nod thing

Part 1 is even better:

[video][/video]

Return to “Artist Discussion”