Doesn't anyone listen to Phillip Glass or Steve Reich ?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

paloverde412
Common Wiggler

Post by paloverde412 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Reich changed the way that I think about music, and every time I listen to Music for 18 Musicians, I feel like I'm going on a journey. Ironically, it's what I listen to every time I get on a train (unlike Different Trains).

It also inspired what's probably the best song of the 2000s:

[video][video][/video]

Sval-amb7
Common Wiggler

Post by Sval-amb7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:12 am

I'd love to hear somebody do a music for 18 modular synthesizers. I always thought his style would be conducive to the modular

Sval-amb7
Common Wiggler

Post by Sval-amb7 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:13 am

I think sextet might be my favorite after music for 18. so many colors...

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:21 pm

Minimalist bump! 'Cause I just had 3 lovely nights of Philip Glass and Steve Reich at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

Even better, the program was mostly pieces from the late 60s-80s, i.e. the good stuff: Reich's 18 Musicians, Sextet, and Piano/Video Phase and Glass's excerpts from Einstein, Glassworks, Music in 12 Parts, etc. It really was awesome. R and G played with each other on stage. I mean...each other's organ. Well, you get the picture. They also played with Nico Muhly and Timo Andres on Reich's Four Organs. Lovely performances all around, but my favorite was Music for 18 Musicians. I got so used to it being headphone music that it was refreshing to be reminded of the phyiscality of the piece.

Philip Glass and Steve Reich at BAM

Edit: Apparently FB pics don't embed so here are links

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 942c05fd8e

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8ce596512c

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... d41c7eb92a

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 2585f51843

_seph
Wiggling with Experience

Post by _seph » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:04 pm

I would have loved to have been in attendance at that concert, thanks for sharing your experience GuyaGuy

VinceL
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by VinceL » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:Minimalist bump! 'Cause I just had 3 lovely nights of Philip Glass and Steve Reich at the Brooklyn Academy of Music.

Even better, the program was mostly pieces from the late 60s-80s, i.e. the good stuff: Reich's 18 Musicians, Sextet, and Piano/Video Phase and Glass's excerpts from Einstein, Glassworks, Music in 12 Parts, etc. It really was awesome. R and G played with each other on stage. I mean...each other's organ. Well, you get the picture. They also played with Nico Muhly and Timo Andres on Reich's Four Organs. Lovely performances all around, but my favorite was Music for 18 Musicians. I got so used to it being headphone music that it was refreshing to be reminded of the phyiscality of the piece.
I was fortunate to have seen the Philip Glass Ensemble many times back in the late 70's/early 80's. I saw them at venues from the Bottom Line to NY Town Hall to Carnegie Hall. I've never had the privilege of seeing Steve Reich in concert.

You must have had a wonderful 3 nights.
VinceL

-------------------------------------------
To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper: It's MU or No U

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:54 pm

I have about 10 Glass albums and 4-5 Reich.

Favorites are Glass soundtrack to Koyaanisqatsi and still so fond of Reich's Music for 18 Musicians on ECM - a damn fine recording.

edit: I listen to PG's NorthStar more than any others though. 70's - nice.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

opsysbug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by opsysbug » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:56 am

http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/einst ... let-146813

Is it still streaming? Cant see it on my phone.

cretaceousear
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cretaceousear » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:03 pm

Yep saw Glass ensemble at the Albert Hall in about 1988 - I was joyously blown away by how loud it was.
Reich and Riley on my iPod, but Glass I play rarely.

I first heard minimalism on Soft Machine Third when I was a lad of 15. There's a shortish section of tape loopery minimalism on start of the track Out Bloody Rageous :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNKmimBN4ZM

A highly recommended album imho - jazz meets rock meets minimalism meets off kilter pop.
..the vessel was heavier because “dead sheep do not have the same weight as the live ones”

hydrophilos
Common Wiggler

Re: Repetition is the image of eternity in music

Post by hydrophilos » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:32 am

wmbb wrote:Steve Reich : "Repetition is the image of eternity in music."
I wonder if he borrowed that from Plato: "Time is the moving image of eternity."

tim gueguen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:46 pm

I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned Mike Oldfield's "North Star/Platinum Finale."

[video][/video]

He did a remixed version in 2012 that sounds a bit closer to Glass's original.

[video][/video]

Oldfield's 1977 album Incantations seems to have some Glass or Reich influenced passages.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:10 am

In October was fortunate enough to see the PG Ensemble perform Music in 12 Parts in NYC's Town Hall. PG even dragged out one of his old Farfisas for it. Delightful but at ~6hrs also exhausting.

Less than a week later I got to see a performance of his Satyagraha at BAM. The combination of small orchestra, operatic singers, and circus troupe shouldn't have worked but it actually did so quite well with the circus performers highlighting the themes of balance, etc. Plus gigantic loom onstage!

[video][/video]

woVERTICES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woVERTICES » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:36 am

I saw one of the original performances of Einstein on the Beach at the Metropolitan Opera in NYC in 1976...5 hours and NEVER a dull moment nor a bathroom break...simply a profound and breath-taking experience I will never forget.
Best,
John
www.johnjpotter.com

IanEye
Common Wiggler

best form of flattery

Post by IanEye » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:42 pm

[video][/video]

[video][/video]

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:18 pm

I haven’t seen PG since la belle et le bete in the 90s in Ithaca but (and especially to counter some of the dim bulbs who slammed him earlier in the thread), boy was that a good concert. Amazing, amazing music and seeting *him* play live was a big part of it. Peeved I missed him at BAM!

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:25 pm

woVERTICES wrote:Einstein on the Beach at the Metropolitan Opera in NYC in 1976...
...simply a profound and breath-taking experience I will never forget.
Ditto.

FYI, I heard Robert Wilson in an interview say it was unlikely they would do Einstein again anytime soon, mostly because its visual design depends on impressive amounts of glorious warm incandescent light which just cannot be reproduced with current HMI or LED fixtures. It would be very hard to gather enough of the old instruments and modern infrastructure is no longer designed to handle that much power.
:ripbanana:

naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:29 am

I haven't listned to any of them, but heard a lot about Steve Reich, so I took the opportunity to check out Music for 18 Musicians.

Fantastic music! I will have to look through a lot of music this coming month :)

lauprellim
Common Wiggler

Post by lauprellim » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Music for 18 is a fascinating and wonderful piece. I’ve really liked music by both these composers all my life, particularly Glass’s “Nixon”. I teach a lot of their techniques in my theory seminars and occasionally perform (Glass’s “String Out” is not his finest piece but it is fun to play it on the electric violin!). Reich’s “clapping music” is a good way to teach students how to adapt the T-Matrix — a technique ordinarily used to find common tones and invariances between two pitch-class sets — to find rhythmic invariances (read: “rests” and “overlaps”) in beat patterns.

veets
Wiggling with Experience

Post by veets » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:50 pm

I got turned on to Glass after hearing his soundtrack for Dracula (1931). I highly recommend the documentary, "Glass: A Portrait of Philip in Twelve Parts".

I only recently started listening to Reich.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:30 am

lauprellim wrote:Music for 18 is a fascinating and wonderful piece. I’ve really liked music by both these composers all my life, particularly Glass’s “Nixon”. I teach a lot of their techniques in my theory seminars and occasionally perform (Glass’s “String Out” is not his finest piece but it is fun to play it on the electric violin!). Reich’s “clapping music” is a good way to teach students how to adapt the T-Matrix — a technique ordinarily used to find common tones and invariances between two pitch-class sets — to find rhythmic invariances (read: “rests” and “overlaps”) in beat patterns.
Nixon in China? That's John Adams.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Doesn't anyone listen to Phillip Glass or Steve Reich ?

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:26 pm

Not sure if you all are familiar with the electronica band Poliça. I saw them live a couple of times and they're pretty cool. Anyhow I just found out that they did a "reimagining" of Reich's Music for Pieces of Wood together with s t a r g a z e. And it's actually pretty cool. It captures the spirit of his music but also combines it with some Dawn of MIDI vibes, tonal instruments, and synthy bits.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:58 am

ohh research thread! thanks!

i mix glassworks and reich early works when doing more artsy dj sets but still haven't got the balls to drop piano phase at the club yet.
often i end up at the studio playing similar repeating stuff by hand or hooking the modular up with a wierd sequence but always loose the vibe when trying to catch it to the main sequencer for developing it further.

on the way out i leave this here: https://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-Lov ... er/1102709
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:16 am

"Music is man, described to man, in the language of things."
"A tape is interesting when it's an interesting tape."
"It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New EP: étude @ strettara.bandcamp

Make sure to visit The Avant Garde Project

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by Severed head » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Opus110 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:21 pm
Can't stand Glass, but I'm a big fan of Steve Reich.
Ditto.
I can appreciate Phillip Glass in theory but god is that shit boring... and I’m super into really really repetitive music, like a 90min loop of one guitar riff. But glass is just boring uninteresting progression to me personally.

Reich, on the other hand is on another level.
I was fortunate enough to see his 70th birthday show as a surprise gift from my mom, it was Kronos 4tet playing different trains, the electric counterpoint, and music for 18musicians all I can say is WOW! Amazing!!!
WTB:, MA35 filter. -Mac recordings software from 2008/9
:help:

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:05 pm

I was introduced to Einstein on the Beach in high school by an art teacher...and have had a fondness for it every since. More so, because of the poems by the autistic poet whose name I forget, Hans the bus driver and the balls rolling, something about it moved something.

Anyway, wanted to post this Simpsons piece but can’t embed it:
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/529c44bc-f ... 554f5426ff
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Return to “Artist Discussion”