Doesn't anyone listen to Phillip Glass or Steve Reich ?

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Doesn't anyone listen to Phillip Glass or Steve Reich ?

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:39 am

Steve Roach + Suso Sáiz + Glen Velez from Reich’s ensemble + others made this album in the 80s and it was just reissued. Nice combination of Reichian rhythms and ambient. This is the Reichiest of the tracks.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:51 pm

I met a guy who programmed Glass’s synths. He told us once Glass was interviewed on Fresh Air and Terry Gross asked him about a synth sound that this guy came up with. He said Glass gave some BS made up answer about his inspiration for the sound. Anecdotal yes, but not sharing credit is the sign of a true self involved asshole. Perhaps character shouldn’t matter, but that and other anecdotal comments about the man color my opinion of his music, and just how much of it is indeed his.

Reich on the other hand is an original and his ideas and courage are worthy of respect.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:08 pm

We saw Steve Reich with Bang on a Can doing 18 Musicians (and other stuff) at the Royal Festival Hall about ten years ago, which was pretty amazing.

There was a Q&A session with Reich afterwards, and one thing that I remember particularly was a question about the relatively high degree of crossover between classical minimalism and popular electronic music, and his response was that (paraphrasing slightly) "the closing of the window between the concert hall and the street" has really only happened for a tiny part of the history of music, and (paraphrasing more) that we're hopefully realising that having the window open again is a more natural state of things - I thought that was a very cool sentiment.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:27 pm

Here's some more minimalism that was on at a thing that we went to recently:

Interesting in that it's simultaneously more elaborate than a lot of Reich or Glass in that there's a lot more surface detail, but also simpler in that it's essentially about being locked in to the frozen moment of the (more-or-less) repeating figure rather than having a dramatic structure that plays out in slow-motion.

woVERTICES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woVERTICES » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:44 pm

I saw EINSTEIN ON THE BEACH many years ago at Lincoln Center. It still find it a compelling listen filled with incredible arpeggiated bliss!
Best,
John
www.johnbjpotter.com

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Fri May 22, 2020 12:29 pm

Lovely unearthed golden-era Glass piece Music in 8 Parts is available now. It was recorded in lock down and compiled by M Riesman.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re:

Post by commodorejohn » Fri May 22, 2020 1:04 pm

Savage wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:32 pm
VinceL wrote:I think you've described the minimalisms well...but I can't agree that the Glass/Reich/Riley stuff is "tunes you can hum." I've never tried to hum Music in 12 Parts. :lol:
Oh, sure you can! Just hum, "Doodlie-diddlie, doodlie-diddlie, diddlie-diddlie-diddlie-diddlie, doodlie-diddlie, doodlie-diddlie, diddlie-diddlie-diddlie-diddlie..." :hihi:
No, I'm pretty sure that's "Fracture" by King Crimson.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Fri May 22, 2020 1:09 pm

GuyaGuy wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:39 am
Steve Roach + Suso Sáiz + Glen Velez from Reich’s ensemble + others made this album in the 80s and it was just reissued. Nice combination of Reichian rhythms and ambient. This is the Reichiest of the tracks.
Fantastic album, thanks.
"Music is man, described to man, in the language of things."
"A tape is interesting when it's an interesting tape."
"It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New EP: étude @ strettara.bandcamp

Make sure to visit The Avant Garde Project

Return to “Artist Discussion”