How to prepare for a liveshow - practical tips

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

trm
Common Wiggler

How to prepare for a liveshow - practical tips

Post by trm » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:27 am

I know this video comes at a rough time as many people find themselves in isolation and live shows are being cancelled across the globe! I still wanted to share this video though, because I like to stay positive and assume we’ll overcome this. So now is the time to prepare for liveshows we will all enjoy together in the future. This is mostly aimed at people starting out with performing live, if you have additional experience please share extra tips and thoughts you might have, and stay safe!

snevlida14
Common Wiggler

Re: How to prepare for a liveshow - practical tips

Post by snevlida14 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:40 am

Awesome video. Shows me how much work I have to do, haha 👍

trm
Common Wiggler

Post by trm » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 am

Thank you Snevlida14! Im experimenting a bit with this new series while in lockdown, good to hear it's apreciated!

Dennis
Common Wiggler

Post by Dennis » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:28 am

hey awesome idea! thanks for making that video its really helpful!

for me playing live, helped me to ''loosen up'' to forgive myself any mistakes i made. tho - i often have to remind me: its all live and don't have to be perfect

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:37 am

Hey great video! I was gearing up for another tour this summer, but Covid has out all that on hold. I think the biggest thing you can do is make sure you have as much fun as possible! Nothing is ever going to go how you expect, so being prepared is key! As we say in motorcycle racing, dress for the crash, not for the ride!

Again, thanks for this! It’s great!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Sun May 03, 2020 9:47 pm

Bring extra adapters and cables of various types. For example, in the US we have grounded and non grounded ( old) electrical outlets. My power strip has grounded and I’ve played places with only non grounded outlets. No adapter, no power. Also I can’t say how many times someone else playing has needed an adapter of sorts, or had a cable go bad. Needed a screwdriver etc. bring this extra crap (and make sure you get it back). Your peers will be thankful for it. The people running the venue will appreciate your preparation too. Also, if it’s a DIY show, help clean up, help lift the PA speakers etc. or at least offer. Some people don’t allow other people helping with their gear. Some will greatly appreciate the help and others will appreciate the offer. Nothing like making the DIY venue holder feel like it’s not worth it anymore because he/she has to clean up and do all the lifting after everyone leaves or is hanging out. Of course there’s time where you need to get on the road, but if you don’t, be helpful.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”