Headphones and long hair

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Arneb
Veteran Wiggler

Headphones and long hair

Post by Arneb » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:23 pm

Hi all,

ok, this is probably looking like a shitpost, whatever.

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for submix monitoring in live jams. Now I'm not an audiophile and who cares about submix sound quality anyways when your main mix' sound quality is constricted by sub-par room acoustics when at home and by whatever the fuck little local club sound systems are doing when on the road, so the first thing I did is to just buy some cheap semi-open Superlux phones and be done with it. And I actually kinda like them, except for one tiny detail: I have rather long hair and whenever I do that DJ movement thing where you put the phones down around your neck to hear the main mix my hair gets tangled in the Superluxes' wiry frame...

So, I'm wondering what kind of frame is best for the purpose of submix monitoring when your looks never quite got out of that early '00s thrash metal phase. Anyone else with that problem?

Arneb

(P.S.: No, I won't tie my hair up. I'm not a 5U performer.)

zenith
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Headphones and long hair

Post by zenith » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:33 pm

*chuckles*
IG: @jamesmatthewday
http://circulant.bandcamp.com

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:44 pm

AKG k240s. Girlfriend has hair down to her waist, uses them all the time for live stuff with me, never been a problem. You could also get someone to sew a sleeve that fits over the superlux frame. Thick cotton should keep your hair from tangling.
Arneb wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:23 pm

No need to do the tied back ponytail look. Modular hipsters out here go man-bun strong all the time for performances.

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:48 pm

NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:44 pm
AKG k240s. Girlfriend has hair down to her waist, uses them all the time for live stuff with me, never been a problem. You could also get someone to sew a sleeve that fits over the superlux frame. Thick cotton should keep your hair from tangling.
Arneb wrote:

No need to do the tied back ponytail look. Modular hipsters out here go man-bun strong all the time for performances.
Your mileage may vary, because I use this model for tracking and am constantly having strands of hair painfully tugged from my head. My hair is a sort of unruly wavy texture, so that may be a factor. I even rock a (semi-tasteful?) ponytail sometimes these days, which does help a bit. This is a weird topic I’ve thought about a lot lately and would also like a solution other than cutting my hair lol.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:49 pm

wear a hat. no I'm not kidding.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:51 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:49 pm
wear a hat. no I'm not kidding.
We're all wearing tin foil ones around here.

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:57 pm

Michael O. wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:48 pm
NeolithicElectrophones wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:44 pm
Arneb wrote:

Your mileage may vary, because I use this model for tracking and am constantly having strands of hair painfully tugged from my head. My hair is a sort of unruly wavy texture, so that may be a factor. I even rock a (semi-tasteful?) ponytail sometimes these days, which does help a bit. This is a weird topic I’ve thought about a lot lately and would also like a solution other than cutting my hair lol.
Aaah yeah her's is straight as it comes. I agree with Rex, a hat could probably help with unruly type hair. Yu can get rather subtle large tams hats that don't have traditional Rasta colors. I've yet to see a male performer with french braids. Maybe its time?

Edit: have you guys thought of tying it up in a head wrap with a thin sheet of cotton?
Last edited by NeolithicElectrophones on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NeolithicElectrophones
Common Wiggler

Post by NeolithicElectrophones » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:01 pm

Quoted instead of editing, my bad.

SIN_formant_A1472V
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SIN_formant_A1472V » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:47 pm

I have this same problem, the thrash metal hair, like the dude from suffocation, anyways, right now I use the Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro headphones, really nice and so worth it.
Pretty much any of the Beyerdynamic stuff is good with long hair, nice thick heavier bands and softer cups, low on mechanical parts.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”