Need Ideas for Routing/Switching FX

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

geokid
Learning to Wiggle

Need Ideas for Routing/Switching FX

Post by geokid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 am

Greetings Wigglers! I have a 4-voice live techno rig and need some ideas on switching and routing FX. I don't currently have many FX in my rack, just a Clouds and a Disting, but I want to beef up the FX section. I fell in love with the ErbeVerb and I'm just waiting to hit the lotto to purchase one because it will require a case upgrade as well. I've also considered adding a Chronoblob and a Distortion module but before I upgrade my case and drop more coin in expensive modules, I want to figure out how to implement them in a useful and "musical" way, which may require some additional utility modules. I currently use Clouds on the master bus and manually dial in the wet/dry as need. I much prefer to use the FX like sends and be able to send an individual voice as need instead of the whole master bus. I have two switched multiples modules available but haven't found an easy way to implement them for this purpose. How do you guys deal with FX routing? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Wiggle on brothas and sistas!

P.S. I did consider upgrading my mixer to a Hexmix or WMD mixer but they're both large and out of my budget.

bedhed3000
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Need Ideas for Routing/Switching FX

Post by bedhed3000 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:12 am

Check out Qu-bit Mixology. 4 channels w/ clickless mutes, send/return, panning, all voltage controllable, cheaper and smaller than the Befaco and WMD mixers. I love mine. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/qu-bit-el ... x-mixology

geokid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by geokid » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 pm

Oh man...that looks almost perfect except there's no PFL for cue. I recently picked up that Erica Synths Black Mixer w/ PFL but it has no sends....uuuhg. Was really hoping to find a small channel strip or something with 4 send/returns so I wouldn't have to replace the mixer again but I don't know that something like that even exists. :bang:

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:09 am

Tesseract sliders + master section + fx aid can be nice Combo for effects sends in stereo + master output.

geokid
Learning to Wiggle

Post by geokid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:36 am

now we're talking! looks like a great solution, thanks for sharing :yay: I haven't run across their modules yet but they look nice and are priced well. Do you own any? Curious about the build quality...

b.aCattoday
Learning to Wiggle

Post by b.aCattoday » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:09 am

Have you looked into Matrix mixers? I’m currently looking at the exact same dilemma and it seems that people really love them! I even thought that a matrix mixer coupled with switched multiples may be a good way to do some instantaneous routing switching, but I haven’t quite figured out the best way to implement it yet. Thanks for making the thread, basically just what I was looking for and can’t wait to hear what others have to say!

Zerius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Zerius » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:25 am

geokid wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:36 am
now we're talking! looks like a great solution, thanks for sharing :yay: I haven't run across their modules yet but they look nice and are priced well. Do you own any? Curious about the build quality...
I don’t own them personally but regarding yours specs I believed it could do the job. Cheap prices and for very low hp.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:57 pm

5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

SCREW IT ... PULL THE PIN

daveyc
1-Post Wiggler

Post by daveyc » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:36 pm

I use my switchblade for a lot of routing duties with playable control:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/acid-rain ... witchblade

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”