Small Modular System for Live Performance

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

BDProject
Common Wiggler

Post by BDProject » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:37 pm

ambientnoise wrote:I’m really questioning about these small modulars for a live performance. I would like to myself but is it possible to do a 30-55 minute techno set with a 3u 84hp rack with sampler and drum machine? I don’t see how without the ability to do program changes and changing patterns on the fly.
I'm working on an even longer live set than that, and I think that if you use a sample/drum machine, you should be ok, as long as you sequence your modular with these machines (I'm trying to use the Digitakt for that at the moment, with the help of a midi to cv module). With that small of a rack, you're probably looking at 1/2 voices on top of your machines, sequenced externally, that you'd bring in and out during your set.

With such a sequencing solution, the changing sequences/patterns issue is solved. Now you only have to worry about changing sounds. Digital OSCs might be useful for that (Braids or Plaits for instance), and you could make changes while playing other voices with your machines and bring these changes in.

Esgal
Common Wiggler

Post by Esgal » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:37 pm

ambientnoise wrote:I’m really questioning about these small modulars for a live performance. I would like to myself but is it possible to do a 30-55 minute techno set with a 3u 84hp rack with sampler and drum machine? I don’t see how without the ability to do program changes and changing patterns on the fly.
I’ve been thinking on this. I think it really depends on the style of music. Bass House for example could be awesome with a small modular rig. Not everyone needs to be Richard Devine lol
ESGAL - BORGASM - TOBIAS KELLER - BLAZE OR BUST
Https://www.kunstwerkmultimedia.com
https://www.blazeorbust.com

FS/FT: Bastl DC Motor, Erica Black Stereo Mixer v2, Beatstep Pro

orbita
Common Wiggler

Post by orbita » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:48 pm

I performed a short improvised techno piece for the first time the other day. I could only take what would fit in my backpack so I took my O-coast and 60hp moog case, which after 4hp for the RowPower didn't leave much!

In the end I took...

- ALM HP0 (headphone out)
- ALM Pamelas Workout,
- Malekko Voltage Block
- Malekko MIX4
- NE BIA
- Mannequins 3 Sisters
- 2HP Freeze

Still had 1hp left!

Pams and VB give loads of clocking & hands on modulation, BIA goes a long way. 3sisters works as filter or source. Ocoast adds extra full voice + random and CV mixer.

A few considerations to save space..

- Avoid mixers by using vcas with mixers.
- Avoid envelopes with LPGS
- Avoid VCAs and Envelopes and by choosing VCOs with built in VCA/envelopes mode
- Ocoast is very small to fit in a bag and brings a lot of useful extras!
- Disting probably very useful for tuning and then doubling as something else.

Someone else on the night was using ansible and grid which is also quite a good space saving option for a light rig, since ansible is low HP and grid itself is compact and provides a lot of sequencing power.

Some other thoughts I've had, particularly for longer sets.

For more structured sets:
- VCO with presets could be useful - like Shapeshifter.
- Digitakt probably useful as sequencer for track structure and also as sampler
- I've seen NerdSeq used for more structured longer sets

For more improvised:
- Grids + Marbles make good playable beat/melody generators

A lot depends on how structured vs improvised you want to be.

Worth watching Mylars videos on his live setup. Lots of good ideas in there.

bobdylan
Common Wiggler

Post by bobdylan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:13 am

orbita wrote:I performed a short improvised techno piece for the first time the other day. I could only take what would fit in my backpack so I took my O-coast and 60hp moog case, which after 4hp for the RowPower didn't leave much!

In the end I took...

- ALM HP0 (headphone out)
- ALM Pamelas Workout,
- Malekko Voltage Block
- Malekko MIX4
- NE BIA
- Mannequins 3 Sisters
- 2HP Freeze

Still had 1hp left!

Pams and VB give loads of clocking & hands on modulation
I like that selection! I too am using a Voltage Block / Pam's combo but with an O_C for melody/gate sequencing.

This is the 4u 104hp rack I've put together for live performance. I have a lot of menu intensive modules in here obviously but I've taken steps to alleviate that with plenty of offsets to serve as controls, and a couple more performative hands on modules like Maths and the VB.

3 channels from the VB go into the O_C in Quantermain mode (with Pam's providing gate sequencing and being the trigger for the O_C) into Plaits and 2 other voices with the 301. I have a couple offsets controlling the euclidean parameters, and random skipping on the Pam's for quick live rhythmic manipulations and dynamics.

I've only played one short show with it so far, but it went well. And building more quicksaves and channel presets within the 301 will allow for lots of flexibility live. Also it should be noted I also use an MPC 1000 for drum machine duties. I used to use it as a sequencer too but it wasn't very easy to manipulate live and I'm really enjoying the Pam/VB/O_c combo right now. This thread is giving me lots of ideas though. :love:
experimental and ambient pop made w/ euro, er 301, mpc 1000, op-1 and other goodies!
https://www.instagram.com/tangolima.music/

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”