Improvised techno anyone?

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Vcoadsr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Vcoadsr » Sun May 15, 2016 11:27 am

Here's a recording of my last improvised modular techno liveset from last week.

First time I'd gone all out improvised with nothing prepared in advance of the performance using just a 10U Eurorack modular and a Mackie mixer. (Last year my live rig was centred around a Cirklon which I've now retired from this new live rig - see photo's below of new setup).

Overall I was pretty happy with how it went both in terms of trying to keep things moving along and the audience response, people were noticeably getting into it which definitely helped.

Getting my excuses in early - there were quite a number of things that were not ideal about the gig including an almost catastrophic failure of the PA and zero monitoring so some of the mixing and sounds (in particular the kicks tone which should have been lower in pitch but which I couldn't hear :cry: ) could have been better but you live & learn for the next time.

https://soundcloud.com/vcoadsr/vcoadsr- ... 11-05-2016

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/264214700" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Mooko
Common Wiggler

Post by Mooko » Sun May 22, 2016 4:50 am

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:28 am

Let's revive our favorite thread, shall we?

54-minute long session, all improvised as usual. Duophonic modular voicing and new for this time—and all my recent live sets,—custom signature drum samples. I patched all of those from scratch and uploaded to my volca sample okgo, from where I sequence them. Alongside it I still use volca beats, but now more on supplementary role (clap, crash.. kick sometimes), so most of what you hear drum-wise is my personal sounds.

http://soundcloud.com/technopark_me/rad ... odcast-027

Will be happy to answer any questions!

:drums:
Witness 60 minutes of audio-visual industrial psy-techno
jam-offering (and press like so this wipes away minecraft
videos clean from the trends and we get to see
some proper rave action there, FINALLY):

/ My electro-rap debut!! (video)
/ Analog & modular videos
:smoke:

Lineofcontrol
Common Wiggler

Post by Lineofcontrol » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Shameless self promotion-
Live set at the Toronto Sound Festival

Berlin School meets Synthpop meets early Industrial vibes;

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/364929

try and imagine a blind man dreaming...Bret Easton Ellis.

Sold:
Analogue Solutions Cv2midi
Cylonix CycleBox II
Doepfer VCDLFO
Intellijel Metropolis
Intellijel uStep v2
Kilpatrick K4815 pattern generator
Kilpatrick KMidi
Koma SVF 201
Lightstrip LS1
Mutable instruments Grids
Mutable instruments Shelves
Mutable instruments Warps
Make Noise Function
Malekko VCO2
Synthrotek Dirt
WMD/SSF Mini Slew

Spacey Blurr
Common Wiggler

Re: Improvised techno anyone?

Post by Spacey Blurr » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:51 am

radiokoala wrote:Hey guys, a quick question.

The situation is, I'm playing techno all from scratch live.

That comes as far as no patterns recalled, all melodies played live and looped, beats programmed in real time etc. Never anything prepared.

Now the question is... Does anyone else in the world do something like that?

:eyes:
radiokoala wrote:Yup! Thanks :party:

Not necessarily modular, tho.

Drumbrute through modular synthesizer. Not always techno though. I played a psytrance event last week. Completely improvised, used a radio through the phonogene also. and a 0-coast.

The organizer of the event had never seen or heard anything like it before and said he didn't know how to describe it other than interesting as hell.

Lineofcontrol
Common Wiggler

Re: Improvised techno anyone?

Post by Lineofcontrol » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:57 pm

Spacey Blurr wrote:
radiokoala wrote:Hey guys, a quick question.

The situation is, I'm playing techno all from scratch live.

That comes as far as no patterns recalled, all melodies played live and looped, beats programmed in real time etc. Never anything prepared.

:eyes:
The organizer of the event had never seen or heard anything like it before and said he didn't know how to describe it other than interesting as hell.
Very very brave of you to go 100% improvised and live. I am too much of a control freak and need to know exactly what is going on in my set to go this way. Nothing random in my rig or set ever!

Any links to your Psytrance set?

stromcat
Veteran Wiggler

Post by stromcat » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Forgive me for crossposting this which is also in it's own thread, but it's relevant!

Just played at Cymru Beats doing improv techno, all went well (largely) despite the odd error...plus it took a little while to settle into it.

FULL SET:
[video][/video]

BEHIND THE SCENES INTERVIEW:
[video][/video]

I'm making a series of videos about the development of the case, see 'em here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... eMfr1sELJ6

Paxxx
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Paxxx » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:30 am

100% improvisation

dubstephead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dubstephead » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:46 am

I think techno is probably the most made-on-the-spot music played with modular's live. There really perfect for it imho.
I've Been seriously considering trying this except with hard techno/drum-n-bass/breakcore/gabba/glitch/basically 200bpm madness.

Anyone doing anything remotely like this?
:nana:

Siete
Common Wiggler

Post by Siete » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:46 pm

Vcoadsr wrote:Here's a recording of my last improvised modular techno liveset from last week.

First time I'd gone all out improvised with nothing prepared in advance of the performance using just a 10U Eurorack modular and a Mackie mixer. (Last year my live rig was centred around a Cirklon which I've now retired from this new live rig - see photo's below of new setup).

Overall I was pretty happy with how it went both in terms of trying to keep things moving along and the audience response, people were noticeably getting into it which definitely helped.

Getting my excuses in early - there were quite a number of things that were not ideal about the gig including an almost catastrophic failure of the PA and zero monitoring so some of the mixing and sounds (in particular the kicks tone which should have been lower in pitch but which I couldn't hear :cry: ) could have been better but you live & learn for the next time.

https://soundcloud.com/vcoadsr/vcoadsr- ... 11-05-2016

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/264214700" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

That tags on the mixer :hail:

Futuresound

Post by Futuresound » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am

Paxxx wrote:100% improvisation

Yeah, that's good.

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:42 pm

Great stuff, I agree – Quality execution :tu:

Here's the most recent performance I did, captured most of the set:

[video][/video]

:*: Patch notes: https://llllllll.co/t/performing-modular-live/8296/8

Cheers!

:guitar:

tarik_
Learning to Wiggle

Lady Starlight & Surgeon - Live@Mutek 2017

Post by tarik_ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:42 pm

In case anyone is interested, here is the Surgeon & Lady Starlight performance from Mutek 2017:

https://soundcloud.com/dynamic-tension/ ... mutek-2017

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:05 pm

All for techno sets that are actually performed as to most "live" sets that are just playing back pre-determined tracks.

One thing that does bother me with the improvised sets, including Surgeon, is the lack of drum sound diversity. In my own personal efforts I've gravitated to drum modules that have presets or sample players like the EuroTrash player which have easy displays and large storage. With a couple quick changes you can have a completely different sounding 'kit".

Nothing kills a set like the same kick and hat sounds for a whole hour.

That said, I think it's a huge move in the right direction that people are actually making things live in dance music contexts. We have the technology.
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

M4R71N
Common Wiggler

Post by M4R71N » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:12 am

Last gig recording. 100% improvised techno:

:deadbanana: https://soundcloud.com/martinmestres/li ... ember-2017 :deadbanana:

Rack used:

+ Mackie Mixer
+ Eventide Space
+ Beatstep Pro
+ CV.OCD

I sold my BIA after the show and switched for a FR Transient because it did fit with my live workflow (and i didn't liked it's sound...). Now i am about to buy a HH module (maybe the mutant one). It will free some space because at the moment i have to use Dixie + noise + Rubicon just for making that HH sounds :hmm:

acidhouseforall
Learning to Wiggle

Post by acidhouseforall » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:42 am

Yes ! And replacing tedious arranging sessions by electronic instruments pratice has changed everything for me. More fun.

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Great techno live set by mr. VCOADSR at Modular Meets.

Much recommended! :tu:

[video][/video]

MatMillion
Common Wiggler

Post by MatMillion » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Count us in!

Everything 100% improvised. Drums are sequenced via monome / ableton, all the rest from the modular.

also http://www.soundcloud.com/hashtaginstantboner

Cheers

bonjourmyfriends
Common Wiggler

Post by bonjourmyfriends » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Here's my latest. I made another topic on it with lots more details and pictures here too.

[video][/video]

https://soundcloud.com/casey-anderson/live-shenzhen
Last edited by bonjourmyfriends on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jorshi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jorshi » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:17 am

Played a set this summer where I challenged myself to do everything improv! Created a patch on the fly while I was setting up on stage and sequenced everything from ableton - it was a trip and so fun. The venue was a really chill afternoon on the beach so it was perfect for some improvisation. For more serious club venue stuff I'm a bit more prepared - I like the idea of having a section for complete improvisation framed within a planned set to fall back on though ;)

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:57 am

Here’s two my most recent live sessions taken from new album — ‘ Eloquencer Sessions’. Available in lossless. :party:

Official press release & everything:
34MAG.NET/PIARSHAK/RELEASES/RADIOKOALA-ELOQUENCER-SESSIONS

MUFF's threads (patch info & pre-history): Thread 1 | Thread 2
Download: Bandcamp :boat:

http://soundcloud.com/34magnet/radiokoa ... ribal-tech
http://soundcloud.com/34magnet/radiokoala-b2-bell-tower

goldkalb
Learning to Wiggle

Post by goldkalb » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Thank you folks so much for this great and inspiring input!!!!!
For me the possiblility to completely improvise an liveset with a modular was the main reason to start with eurorack. It´s a huge missed opportunity and a misunderstanding of the electronic music scene (at least a LOT of people who go to techno clubs every weekend) and not knowing how this music is REALLY made. Most people think DJing is all there is. Only very few (at least in my expierience) have a clue that there is a difference between a DJ and someone who perfomes live electronic music. In every other music-genre the community knows exactly how the music is performed and that there is a difference between a live concert and a song that is played in radio or by a dj.
So I had my first live gig a couple of weeks ago, it was on a small electronic festival with maybe 200 people. Im talking about young party people who listen to electronic music all their life. Before I started to play, I could see that almost nobody had an idea what the heck Im doing. Some asked me if it is a bomb or a time travelling machine or why I use different gear like the other DJs. I explained to everybody who wanted to hear it that Im performing live, and it´s completely improvised. And that it is a bomb that can travel through time.
The response was really good, people got interested and I really was keen to show the live aspect of techno music. It worked fucking well. For my first gig it was a big success. On the next festival I am thinking about giving a little modular workshop to have people play with the modular and have some experience with it.
I would have never thought that as a complete modular beginner (started about a year ago) and with no musical background at all I could share my knowledge and do musical education.
The modular thing has been sooo much fun for me so far, I´m really glad I can provide something useful to others. Makes it even more fun :yay:
Here is are 2 recorded and improvised live sessions, very close to what I performed on the gig. Please be gentle with me, I still do a lot of noob mistakes, but with this 2 sessions I´m quite happy so far. :roll:
Hope you like it!
:bananaguitar:

https://soundcloud.com/goldkalb/canape- ... jam-august

https://soundcloud.com/goldkalb/porridg ... jam-august

radiokoala
must. build. jacuzzi

Post by radiokoala » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:08 am

Yo yo yo!! Let's keep it alive, shall we?! Last post in August... Do you guys not play out anymore?! :omg:

Here is my latest:

[video][/video]

Patch notes & ol' time memoirs below in the MI thread:

Mutable Modules Thru 25-Kilowatt Venue PA

Also check out a free chapter of my book – 'PORTABILITY VS MONSTROSITY' – some insights as far as what size your system should be if you are just starting out. :roll:

All the best! Glad you dig the thread goldkalb! Nice jams there, like the plucky strings in this kind of music. Karplus-Strong'y stabs will save techno from stagnating, to be sure: I love me some weird phase-modulating pwm-y phys-modellin' or what have you... Actually your first track is developing rather nicely, in interesting ways, could've been as well released on tape or vinyl: better than a better half of various lackadaisical house loops ppl make a fortune with on beatport. You know. :guinness: Keep it up!

wirlebenmarlene
1-Post Wiggler

Post by wirlebenmarlene » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:39 pm

here is one hour of completely improvised industrial technoi recorded one year ago...we are a duo though, that was one of our first try...100% eurorack

https://soundcloud.com/la-moral/la-mora ... extract-01

all the posts before that one on our soundcloud are also totally improvised.

of course it helps to be 2 but we also started performing solos each other but nthg on internet yet...

the recent add of marbles is great for improv...but we're considering to record some sequences

if you are interested and depending your location, we tour this summer in paris, belgrade, sofia, istanbul and somewhere in romania in the black sea.

enjoy :)

minigmgoit
Common Wiggler

Post by minigmgoit » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:09 am

So in relation to the opening post I think we can all agree there are plenty of people doing it. I use a 12u 126hp case and I augment it with a DFAM and 303 clone. The majority of the case is full of drum and drum type modules and sequencers. I prefer the sequencing capable in a modular world to that of a standalone drum machine. I also found incorporating a decent amount of fx to help with keeping things moving. I watched Surgeon's talk about his rig and felt really shit about all the gear I insist on dragging around with me and have experimented with smaller rigs but I can't get it to gel.

I have 1 row with 4 synth voices and 3 filters (2 of which are doubles) and a quad envelope and VCA. After that its all drums, mixers sequencers and fx. I'm looking into decreasing the drum modules but I really do use them all. I've seen many people say drums in modular is madness and I definitely get that but I love the hand on and flexible sequencing modular gives. I've recently rediscovered my love of modules like the Taiko and Alter which are just crazy with the right kind of modulation.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”