Powering your modular in the middle of nowhere

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

carlotter
Common Wiggler
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:58 am

Post by carlotter » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:52 am

Does anyone know if it would be possible to power an Intellijel TPS30 MAX directly with one of these:



I currently power it with a Meanwell 15V 2.67A

User avatar
Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1121
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:22 am
Location: DC

Post by Hovercraft » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:25 pm

carlotter wrote:Does anyone know if it would be possible to power an Intellijel TPS30 MAX directly with one of these:



I currently power it with a Meanwell 15V 2.67A
It should power a small system for 1-2 hours. I'd set it to output 16V.

carlotter
Common Wiggler
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:58 am

Post by carlotter » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:52 am

Hovercraft wrote:
carlotter wrote:Does anyone know if it would be possible to power an Intellijel TPS30 MAX directly with one of these:



I currently power it with a Meanwell 15V 2.67A
It should power a small system for 1-2 hours. I'd set it to output 16V.
Thanks. So 16V wouldn't damage the TPS30 MAX? I couldn't find any info on its input requirements...

User avatar
Phil999
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 648
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:59 pm
Location: Cavardiras

Post by Phil999 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:27 am

these are good. I have three of them, although from a different brand, but the same. I can power my mobile rack with a single one. I usually output 12V for the 4ms Row Power 40.

edit: and then I saw this one



That's the highest capacity I have seen in a portable rechargeable battery, 50000 mAh! And separate 12V and 19V outputs. What it does not say is if it can be charged while outputting.

And you have good prices in UK. In my country such things cost double. I wonder what you pay for expensive triple layer solar panels.

carlotter
Common Wiggler
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:58 am

Post by carlotter » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:18 am

Got an answer straight from the horse's mouth (Intellijel):
Our power supplies require a DC input of 15-18V, see the diagram on this page for reference:

https://intellijel.com/product/triple-p ... -busboard/

lily_green
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 11:07 am

Post by lily_green » Wed May 23, 2018 11:11 am

Would a power line conditioner be helpful? It can help maintain the voltage and frequency within normal tolerances and minimize interference.

Lily


User avatar
wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2719
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:20 pm
Location: near Boston Massachusetts USA

Post by wsy » Thu May 24, 2018 5:49 pm

lily_green wrote:Would a power line conditioner be helpful? It can help maintain the voltage and frequency within normal tolerances and minimize interference.

Lily

NOOOOO !!!

I was involved in a situation where an inverter was being used to power some radio astronomy hardware and
in an attempt to "clean up" the squarewave, they put a power conditioner in the line.....

... which caught fire several hours later.

The problem is that a modified squarewave inverter output has huge amounts of harmonics, which are dissipated
in the power conditioner as heat. Lots of heat.

The situation was resolved by going to a true sine inverter.

- Bill
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

Luap
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1104
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:41 pm
Location: North'ish London, UK

Post by Luap » Fri May 25, 2018 3:10 pm

^ Its spam.

User avatar
Jericho
Common Wiggler
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:33 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Jericho » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:38 am

I want to power my intellijel 7u 104hp with a mobile setup and high capacity powerbanks are looking promising.

The intellijel has a tpsmax80
https://intellijel.com/product/triple-p ... -busboard/
Outputs: +12V output at 3000 mA, -12V output at 3000 mA, +5V output at 1500 mA

According to modulargrid my case has a power consumption of 2100 mA +12V | 543 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V

A powerbank like this




outputs 12V/16V/20V 4.7A (max)

I should be fine, if i got it right.

What really astonishes me is the amount of time the powerbank will last with 2,2a consumption. Almost 23 h! Did I make a mistake?

User avatar
Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1121
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:22 am
Location: DC

Post by Hovercraft » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:17 pm

@jericho

Keep in mind, the TPS80 uses a DC-DC power converter to derive +12V, -12V, and +5V from the input voltage (16V or 20V in this case). The converter isn’t 100% efficient, so some of the current will be lost as heat—maybe 20%? Even so, a 50 AH pack should power your modular all day.

User avatar
Jericho
Common Wiggler
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:33 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Jericho » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 am

Thanks @hovercraft.
I will give it a try and report the results.

User avatar
Phil999
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 648
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:59 pm
Location: Cavardiras

Post by Phil999 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:22 am

Jericho wrote: A powerbank like this

this powerbank looks absolutely great. It's a similar kind to what I use since years, only double the capacity. What it doesn't say is if it can charge while providing power, but I'm pretty sure it can.

User avatar
matthewjuran
Common Wiggler
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:59 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by matthewjuran » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:45 am

Oops didn’t see this thread, I had started another one here: viewtopic.php?t=206201

This other one was mentioned there: viewtopic.php?t=206430

A deep cycle battery I looked at (used for freshwater fishing boat trolling motor) was in the 90 amp hour range, but it can’t be tipped. Supposedly there are more expensive kinds that can tip without spilling.

I’d like to run something like 100W of speakers too. It sounds like there are inverter issues to look at, but with a 150W setup then perhaps I’m looking at maybe five portable sessions before a recharge is required. The recharge takes another piece of gear and over eight hours.

I’m not very familiar with speaker tradeoffs, anybody have experience with those on batteries? A propeller motor sounds like it would be a similar load, so those deep cycle batteries might be a good fit.

User avatar
wsy
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2719
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:20 pm
Location: near Boston Massachusetts USA

Post by wsy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:28 am

matthewjuran wrote:Oops didn’t see this thread, I had started another one here: viewtopic.php?t=206201

This other one was mentioned there: viewtopic.php?t=206430

A deep cycle battery I looked at (used for freshwater fishing boat trolling motor) was in the 90 amp hour range, but it can’t be tipped. Supposedly there are more expensive kinds that can tip without spilling.

I’d like to run something like 100W of speakers too. It sounds like there are inverter issues to look at, but with a 150W setup then perhaps I’m looking at maybe five portable sessions before a recharge is required. The recharge takes another piece of gear and over eight hours.

I’m not very familiar with speaker tradeoffs, anybody have experience with those on batteries? A propeller motor sounds like it would be a similar load, so those deep cycle batteries might be a good fit.
Yes, and yes. Get a deep-cycle AGM battery (not a gel-cell, a real AGM, meaning "absorbed glass mat").

The acid in the battery is soaked into a fiberglass mat; there's no free liquid to spill and the battery lifetime is around a decade.
Bonus, you can jump start your gig van. :-)

Optima makes good ones but they are PRICEY. Others may be nearly as good and half the price (maybe $100).

Charge at ten amps overnight with an automatic shutoff charger and you'll be good for a few hours at least.

- Bill
"Life is short. But we can always buy longer patch cords" - Savage

User avatar
matthewjuran
Common Wiggler
Posts: 249
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:59 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Post by matthewjuran » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:55 pm

Reminder: don’t experiment with electricity, it can kill or injure.

Thanks for the response Bill.

User avatar
Paraphonique
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: A few acres of snow

Post by Paraphonique » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:12 pm

Sorry to resurrect this. @Jericho. Did you tried the configuration you have suggested ? Any update ? Thanks !

-N
Jericho wrote:I want to power my intellijel 7u 104hp with a mobile setup and high capacity powerbanks are looking promising.

The intellijel has a tpsmax80
https://intellijel.com/product/triple-p ... -busboard/
Outputs: +12V output at 3000 mA, -12V output at 3000 mA, +5V output at 1500 mA

According to modulargrid my case has a power consumption of 2100 mA +12V | 543 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V

A powerbank like this




outputs 12V/16V/20V 4.7A (max)

I should be fine, if i got it right.

What really astonishes me is the amount of time the powerbank will last with 2,2a consumption. Almost 23 h! Did I make a mistake?
///////////////////////////////////////////
http://soundcloud.com/paraphonique

Latest vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRJJKHdZopM

helder
Common Wiggler
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:47 am

Post by helder » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:18 am

Hi there,

I am looking for a portable solution for my Intellijel 7u 104hp case. Do you think any of these 2 would work?



https://www.batteryupgrade.com.pt/shopB ... uIQAvD_BwE

I already got some portable speakers, just missing the power supply :)

Thanks.

Post Reply

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”