I can't stand the spaghetti patch mess. Its driving me nuts.

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Ypsi Kid
Common Wiggler

Post by Ypsi Kid » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:26 pm

Great advice Steevio!

I gotta ask though, is that a switch matrix on the bottom right there with the big buttons? Looks like some type of switch matrix!

Love the new video you put out as well man, fantastic stuff (the AJH OSC's take the place of the Voyager with no problems at all!).

Cheers.

909one
Common Wiggler

Post by 909one » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:33 pm

Steevio wrote:velcro ties ! invaluable and a colour coded patch system that makes sense

its easy to repatch, you loosen the velcro tie, move the patch cable and re-tie.
If you need to do it fast, or the cable has a long convoluted route just have some extra cables on standby to do an un-tied swap.

also use as many switched multiples, switch Matrices etc. as you can so you dont need to repatch so much, just re-route.

also do a route schematic of your rig so that every module is in the optimum position to keep connections as short as possible.

also if you have alot of very long cables draping across from one side to another, think about using a pair of Doepfer 180-9 multicore modules. Two cables replace 14. (seen in the photo below connecting the two cases together)

invest in lots of cables so you can always have the correct length, and try to get hold of thin cables with memory, that stay where you put them, not fat rubbery floppy ones.. Analogue Systems are the best, but hard to find..

I play live a lot and never have issues.

Excellent! Thanks!
I tried the cable tie thing, it helped. I think I actually may have got the idea from strolling onto one of your vids on Youtube actually.

I think the cables I have were just way too thick and stiff. I just received some of those thin Noodles patch cables and they seem way better already.

Steevio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Steevio » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:33 am

Ypsi Kid wrote:Great advice Steevio!

I gotta ask though, is that a switch matrix on the bottom right there with the big buttons? Looks like some type of switch matrix!

Love the new video you put out as well man, fantastic stuff (the AJH OSC's take the place of the Voyager with no problems at all!).

Cheers.
thanks man!

yeah its a Hinton Instruments Switchmix, its a precision switch matrix, so you can use it as an 8x8 adder. I use it to create and distribute melodies by adding the CV outputs of the various sequencers and sending them to all the different VCOs, I've also used it to combine and distribute rhythmic patterns and also as a modulation Matrix. Unfortunately no longer available, I'm getting another one, the last one being made now.

Steevio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Steevio » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:38 am

909one wrote:
Excellent! Thanks!
I tried the cable tie thing, it helped. I think I actually may have got the idea from strolling onto one of your vids on Youtube actually.

I think the cables I have were just way too thick and stiff. I just received some of those thin Noodles patch cables and they seem way better already.
Nice one! yeah most of the commonly available patch cords are rubbish, if you can get ASys ones they are awesome, they literally stay exactly where you bend them to, ive got hundreds of them and in 10 years Ive never had one break. Unfortunately Analogue Systems dont sell them anymore, but they are available from Schneidersladen in Berlin

jfloftin
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jfloftin » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:25 pm

zeit wrote:I don't own any modular stuff *yet* so take this w/ a grain a salt but I've been eyeing this website for a while...there's some cool modules...no filters or vco's though...I might go for this when I can afford it. :p

http://www.hinton-instruments.co.uk/pap ... lar/pinmix
You can't go wrong with the link above's setup...

Plumbstone
Common Wiggler

Post by Plumbstone » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:16 am

That switchmix looks great. Slightly annoying only to discover it as the last one is being made.... Does anyone know of a similar product?

Steevio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Steevio » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:35 am

Plumbstone wrote:That switchmix looks great. Slightly annoying only to discover it as the last one is being made.... Does anyone know of a similar product?
I'm not sure there is anything similar, The PinMix someone listed above is the nearest, but for live work, you cant beat the Switchmix.
Maybe Graham Hinton could be persuaded to start production again, I think he might be looking for better switches to use, maybe its worth asking him directly.

Plumbstone
Common Wiggler

Post by Plumbstone » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:46 am

Steevio wrote:
Plumbstone wrote:That switchmix looks great. Slightly annoying only to discover it as the last one is being made.... Does anyone know of a similar product?
I'm not sure there is anything similar, The PinMix someone listed above is the nearest, but for live work, you cant beat the Switchmix.
Maybe Graham Hinton could be persuaded to start production again, I think he might be looking for better switches to use, maybe its worth asking him directly.
I live just round the corner from him and am just about to build a new Hinton powered case so might just have to ask him nicely if he could build one more.

Henfield
Better Chemistry through Sound

Post by Henfield » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Here is another option similar to the Hinton, which I believe is still in production:

https://www.ericasynths.lv/shop/eurorac ... rix-mixer/
For Sale/Trade: 14U 84 hp Euro case . Willing to trade towards MU Modules, Dotcom Box 11 case, and Moogerfooger and Minifooger pedals!

cafesinleche
Learning to Wiggle

Post by cafesinleche » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:56 am

Been using Velcro ties purchased cheaply on amazon and they work great and really freed up my workflow

Virusinstaller
Common Wiggler

Post by Virusinstaller » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:52 am

What Steevio said. Everyone, listen to Steevio.

Good positioning of modules, correct cable lengths, velcro ties.

minigmgoit
Common Wiggler

Post by minigmgoit » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:55 am

Be careful getting too hung up on the spaghetti, it was getting to me a while back and it started really impacting on my enjoyment, I pulled everything apart but didn't really come up with anything better. I guess what I'm getting at is there just isn't really a solution to the problem, cable ties or similar will help keep things moderately in order as will feeding cables around outside or down the middle etc. But really you're going to need to work on embracing the chaos a bit.

youwe9
Common Wiggler

Post by youwe9 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:29 am

Thank you!!

really helpfull words

minigmgoit
Common Wiggler

Post by minigmgoit » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:07 pm

I just bought a stack of extra cables and now have the ability to use the shortest cables possible, I also build a few mults from Thonk too rather than using those awful 5 way adapters. Between those changes my rig has cleaned it's self up no end.
Anyone have any idea where to get Velcro ties from?

DruidTek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DruidTek » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:00 am

Cable spaghetti is one of the worst things about modular, especially in a live performance situation. Tendrils help to make everything accessible, and you can transport your case fully patched, which saves a lot of time and stress at a gig.

ari ellis
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ari ellis » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:11 pm

DruidTek, I need to go off of the thread's topic for a second to say: that wooden case is a thing of absolute beauty.

Deepwave33
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Deepwave33 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:58 am

Tendrils are a game changer for me as far as playability.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”