Where do you find amateur live shows? (NY/BK)

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

erik5
Learning to Wiggle

Where do you find amateur live shows? (NY/BK)

Post by erik5 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:03 pm

Ive been patching for a little over 2 years now, but during that entire time I simply could not figure out where to find modular synth artists playing out!

Now when I say amateur, I just mean not going to see a modular gig from someone very notable like blawan or surgeon playing to a pretty big crowd in a club. I really want to be a part of that intimate modular performance scene where I can SEE the artist patching and really experience it fully. Maybe even have a conversation afterwards about the set and their performance rack.

I dont see any events based on google searches, meetup events, facebook groups. But I KNOW they are out there playing some gig every night.

Anybody have any leads or advice? I live in brooklyn, so I'm sure theres plenty of events going on. I've heard that people find a lot of their events through instagram, but I dont know who to follow in the NY modular scene either.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Where do you find amateur live shows? (NY/BK)

Post by authorless » Thu May 16, 2019 3:34 pm

I'd ask the folks at Control. They'd likely know.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

Reese P. Dubin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Reese P. Dubin » Fri May 17, 2019 7:27 pm

In the last 6 years gigs with people modularing in NYC have exploded
i cant tell you where exactly anymore cuz i dont pay any attention,but there is no shortage

calaveras
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by calaveras » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:06 pm

seconded Control on Lorimer.

They were doing shows in their space next door. But they moved into that space and someone else is taking over their previous space.

I think they are still doing stuff at Trans-Pecos in Ridgewood.
Dylan from Eastern Tapes was doing stuff at Muchmores for a while. He also does shows at a church up in Greenpoint.

One way I've found out about a few shows was from following Hiro Kone, Robert Aubrey Lowe and Dan SnazzyFX on twitter and instagram.

I really think there needs to be a list of shows like the Bay Area's 'The List' by Steve "List" Koepke. Or the defunct Squidlist.

Heck, maybe I just need to be that guy who does it.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”