Live performance tutorial - Steevio

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Steevio
Ultra Wiggler

Live performance tutorial - Steevio

Post by Steevio » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:48 am

After publishing an improvisation called Steevio Live Improv 28-10-19 here a few days ago
I decided to explain my technique for note sequencing on my newly re-built rig. There's a brief intro then I continue on from where I left off after the above improvisation with a 5 minute rough jam, morphing the tune into something else on the fly, and then go into a detailed explanation for the last 10 minutes.

[video][/video]

Aaronautical001
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Aaronautical001 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:33 am

:yay:
For my money, some of the most interesting videos on the inter web. Thanks for posting Steevio :hail:

Lots to think about.

BlueWolfSe7en
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlueWolfSe7en » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Excellent Steevio, really well thought out system & great explanation, mucho appreciation for taking the time to put this together :yay:
Strange Beautiful Machines

waves_of_awesome
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Live performance tutorial - Steevio

Post by waves_of_awesome » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks steevio, always look forward to your videos. Looks like the switch mix is a much more intuitive method than using switched multiples for routing. I'm curious, how often do you change the routing around during a typical set?

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:35 pm

waves_of_awesome wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:07 pm
Thanks steevio, always look forward to your videos. Looks like the switch mix is a much more intuitive method than using switched multiples for routing. I'm curious, how often do you change the routing around during a typical set?
I'm interested in this as well Steevio.

I first though want to thank you for taking the time do such an explainer video. I just am starting on my modular journey. I've been goofing off with semi-modulars quite a bit and this 1) shows me a lot more to think about (envelopes changing sequences!) and 2) tells me that my first steps of mostly getting utilities for processing my semi-modulars is probably the right choice (as opposed to getting more oscillators). For example, I have thought of that same 4MS QCD to effect clocks and also chose Branches for some randomization of what gets fired within a rhythm. I started with a Nifty Bundle as my skiff (for what its worth) and have 2 SQ-1s, and Orb, and a Crazy8 for sequencing.

One more compliment before I go onto asking a few additional questions... I love the sort of afro-latin vibe you are getting. I mean it is very distinctive and sounds great!

So first question, is that a vibe you go for..? If you don't do that vibe always, what considerations do you make when you want to change vibes?

In this set you didn't change tempo. What is the primary way you think of changing tempo. My mind goes in two directions, one is changing a master clock, but I can also think of making a multiplication or division of a clock become more predominant as well which would make something drastically faster or slower, but come from out of the background...

What types of non-sequence changes do you find yourself doing? It sounds like they are less predominant than sequence changes. I know with my semi-modulars, I find myself adjusting filters, attacks, LFOs, and decays the most. (I vary the sequences mostly be turning on and off played notes in the SQ-1s.) So I am interested in what you do with the non-sequenced stuff.

Thanks again for sharing this (and any answers to above in advance)!

Cheers,
Paul
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Steevio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Steevio » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:31 am

waves_of_awesome wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:07 pm
Hi sorry it took me so long to reply, I havent been on here for a while, just too busy..

I change the routings constantly, this particular video I'm not doing much with it, due to not wanting to have too much going on to confuse things, but normally I'll change the routings 5 or 6 times per tune, so in a 90 minutes set probably over 100 changes.
I just experiment, so sometimes a routing might not work, but its real easy just to unroute it, and try something else, so as long as you dont do anything too radical, its quite easy to keep it all under control, just slight alterations and flavours.

I hope that helps!

Steevio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Steevio » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:01 am

pmboos wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:35 pm

One more compliment before I go onto asking a few additional questions... I love the sort of afro-latin vibe you are getting. I mean it is very distinctive and sounds great!

So first question, is that a vibe you go for..? If you don't do that vibe always, what considerations do you make when you want to change vibes?

In this set you didn't change tempo. What is the primary way you think of changing tempo. My mind goes in two directions, one is changing a master clock, but I can also think of making a multiplication or division of a clock become more predominant as well which would make something drastically faster or slower, but come from out of the background...

What types of non-sequence changes do you find yourself doing? It sounds like they are less predominant than sequence changes. I know with my semi-modulars, I find myself adjusting filters, attacks, LFOs, and decays the most. (I vary the sequences mostly be turning on and off played notes in the SQ-1s.) So I am interested in what you do with the non-sequenced stuff.

Thanks again for sharing this (and any answers to above in advance)!

Cheers,
Paul
Hi Paul, sorry for taking so long to respond...

I answered the other question from waves_of_awesome in my response to them.

1/ thanks for the kind words, I dont really go for a vibe, I kind of work mathematically and choose the maths for the mood I'm in, so I might work in a certain minor key if I'm feeling that way, but I wont stick rigidly to it, I'll experiment around it and if something jumps out at me as fresh sounding I'll go with that for a while.. I dont like to stick to the obvious western scales, I quite often work microtonally (not in this video) I love using 3 limit and 5 limit just intonation, and as far as rhythms are concerned, I've always used polymeters and polyrhythms since i started as the main basis for everything I do, so thats where the Afro-Latin thing comes from, as polyrhythms are the backbone of all that music, so again its mathematical.

2/ I quite often work at one tempo for a while and then use master clock to change it, but if you're working in polymeters /rhythms, just by emphasising one of the polymeters over the others for your main pulse, then you are effectively changing the tempo, if your kick drum is in 5 step the tune will sound slower then the clock suggests etc.. which is similar to what you're saying..

3/ I do everything, I only emphasised the sequence changing for this video as that was what I was trying to show, but when I'm playing live, I do everything you are saying, but also I have digital modules like the Erbverb and Chimera which have multiple parameter change possibilities, and I generally control them from envelopes as I do with the sequences. It gives you so much control especially if you use a polarising offset generator to vary the amount and polarity of the envelope you're sending as well as the ADSR settings (The Erbeverb has that built in for some parameters), so I treat these type of modules as individual instruments. I dont use LFOs much, only for slight variations over time, I mostly use envelopes or looped envelopes if I want an LFO type effect but with more control over shape. I'm not much of a random guy, I like to be in control but with enough potential complexity to keep it constantly interesting and evolving.

I hope thats some help man!

pmboos
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pmboos » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:02 pm

Steevio wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:01 am
...snip...

Hi Paul, sorry for taking so long to respond...
No worries, asynchronous comms are what forums are about!
Steevio wrote:

I answered the other question from waves_of_awesome in my response to them.
I appreciated that!
Steevio wrote:

1/ thanks for the kind words, I dont really go for a vibe, I kind of work mathematically and choose the maths for the mood I'm in, so I might work in a certain minor key if I'm feeling that way, but I wont stick rigidly to it, I'll experiment around it and if something jumps out at me as fresh sounding I'll go with that for a while.. I dont like to stick to the obvious western scales, I quite often work microtonally (not in this video) I love using 3 limit and 5 limit just intonation, and as far as rhythms are concerned, I've always used polymeters and polyrhythms since i started as the main basis for everything I do, so thats where the Afro-Latin thing comes from, as polyrhythms are the backbone of all that music, so again its mathematical.

2/ I quite often work at one tempo for a while and then use master clock to change it, but if you're working in polymeters /rhythms, just by emphasising one of the polymeters over the others for your main pulse, then you are effectively changing the tempo, if your kick drum is in 5 step the tune will sound slower then the clock suggests etc.. which is similar to what you're saying..

3/ I do everything, I only emphasised the sequence changing for this video as that was what I was trying to show, but when I'm playing live, I do everything you are saying, but also I have digital modules like the Erbverb and Chimera which have multiple parameter change possibilities, and I generally control them from envelopes as I do with the sequences. It gives you so much control especially if you use a polarising offset generator to vary the amount and polarity of the envelope you're sending as well as the ADSR settings (The Erbeverb has that built in for some parameters), so I treat these type of modules as individual instruments. I dont use LFOs much, only for slight variations over time, I mostly use envelopes or looped envelopes if I want an LFO type effect but with more control over shape. I'm not much of a random guy, I like to be in control but with enough potential complexity to keep it constantly interesting and evolving.

I hope thats some help man!
I super appreciate all of this... Between this and the video, I have a lot to mull over...

Thanks for taking the time to help others out!
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:52 pm

Thanks Steevio. I love your music, and I appreciate your incredible generosity in educating fellow musicians. You’re an inspiration on both.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

Steevio
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Steevio » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:39 pm

electricanada wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:52 pm
Thanks Steevio. I love your music, and I appreciate your incredible generosity in educating fellow musicians. You’re an inspiration on both.
aww thanks for the kind words!

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”