Cable organizer for traveling modular users

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

jjmcclear
Wiggling with Experience

Cable organizer for traveling modular users

Post by jjmcclear » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Hey guys!

Do you think this would be a good idea for modular guys (like yourself) that play out, or travel with their systems? It would be like a tupperware-style portable cable organizer (KABLe BINZ, binz or euroware?). This is a first pass at the design, so I might make more tweaks. Just wondering if you think there would be any interest in something like this? Ya or nah?

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:24 pm

That's cool but honestly I think there's nothing better than a couple ziploc bags.
(Sounds)--> :eek:

beepetc.
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Cable organizer for traveling modular users

Post by beepetc. » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:04 pm

It's definitely a cool thing. I'm a bit unsure about the size though. It's sort of difficult to determine from the render. Perhaps, just an idea, it'd be nice to have a version for larger amounts of cables as well as a more neat, travel-friendly one. I'd love to bring all of my cables at once. I suppose people with larger systems often use cable hangers, which I really should do as well and thanks for reminding me. My floor looks like somebody dropped an enormous bowl of giant colorful plastic spaghetti. But anyway, I dig it.
Looking forward to see how the project turns out.
You can't fill a hat with maybes.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:18 pm

I admire your entrepreneurial spirt but the hinge looks a bit vulnerable in the render. Have you given any thought to how many cycles it might take?

Also I'd be amazed if there isn't an existing low-price container already out there that couldn't be adapted with a bit of imagination. Anyway, I shall follow thread with interest.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 am

Licudi wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:18 pm
Also I'd be amazed if there isn't an existing low-price container already out there that couldn't be adapted with a bit of imagination.
The phenomenon of "if you can bear to search your nearest IKEA for long enough, you'll find something that will do the job"?

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 am
Licudi wrote:
Also I'd be amazed if there isn't an existing low-price container already out there that couldn't be adapted with a bit of imagination.
The phenomenon of "if you can bear to search your nearest IKEA for long enough, you'll find something that will do the job"?
Yep. About half of my desktop rig is on Ikea stands these days. Plus much of Ikea's flotsam and jetsam is available online now; the end of the infamous Ikea Lost Weekend.

Arneb
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Arneb » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:56 am

Licudi wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:45 am
Kattefjaes wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:07 am
Licudi wrote:
Yep. About half of my desktop rig is on Ikea stands these days. Plus much of Ikea's flotsam and jetsam is available online now; the end of the infamous Ikea Lost Weekend.
Turns out their 10$ side tables are the right size for a 19" rig.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:09 am

I travel extensively and regard myself as an amateur packing whizz. I can easily get a week into carry-on including multiple pairs of shoes.

For me, I would want to see a thin rectangular shape with rounded corners, that is by far the best shape to pack, and probably why Bose makes its noise canceling headphones case that way and why the companies that make connectivity accessories holders do the same.

You don't need a flip top lid, a fully removable lid is more convenient.

Your cable holder has really changed my patching pleasure by the way.

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:04 am

dubonaire wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:09 am
You don't need a flip top lid, a fully removable lid is more convenient.
Absolutely this. Not only less likely to break use to stress of use, but less worry about it flapping around and getting in the way when open. Actually, if the lid has a detent-shape, so you can remove it, flip it over and then stand the container on it (so it doesn't go missing), that'd be nice too.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”