Instruments of Things – Performance Tools

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

instruments of things
Learning to Wiggle

Instruments of Things – Performance Tools

Post by instruments of things » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 am

A short performance demonstration of our motion sensors and 2.4SINK interface module. The sensor on the right hand is connected to Mutable Instruments ‚Plaits‘ module, shaping the timbre and morph parameter of the ‚Two operator FM‘ and the sensor on the left hand triggers percussion sounds on the ‚Plonk‘ module by Intellijel.

Could you imagine using new interface methods, such as motion sensors, to creatively expand your setup, develop new performances or make music in an interdisciplinary way? What kind of applications, control units or sensors do you find exciting in this context?

Feel free to ask questions and give input, we are always open for discussions, suggestions and ideas. We will upload more performance videos in this thread in the future.

https://instrumentsofthings.com

rduif
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Instruments of Things – Performance Tools

Post by rduif » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:01 am

I think this is awesome! I remember watching a video by LMNC where he hooked up two toy lightsabres with accelerometers to control his modular. First thought that crossed my mind then was how awesome it would be to have a professional dancer hooked up with a bunch of motion sensors and trying to create music through dance, rather than dancing to music.

Unfortunately I didn't (and still don't) have the expertise required to design or build any of it, but it seems that you've taken that problem away :party: . Now all I need is funds...

What would be the range on those sensors actually?

instruments of things
Learning to Wiggle

Post by instruments of things » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:08 am

Thanks for the positive feedback!
rduif wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:01 am
First thought that crossed my mind then was how awesome it would be to have a professional dancer hooked up with a bunch of motion sensors and trying to create music through dance, rather than dancing to music.
This is exactly part of our idea. We have already made a video together with a dancer. The sound was recorded live and is controlled by her movement:

rduif wrote:
Unfortunately I didn't (and still don't) have the expertise required to design or build any of it, but it seems that you've taken that problem away :party: . Now all I need is funds...
Yes, we have developed a customized firmware for Movesense motion sensors for music applications and an Eurorack interface, that can receives the data of up to seven sensors + Bluetooth MIDI signals and OSC over Wi-Fi.
rduif wrote:
What would be the range on those sensors actually?
Right now the max range is about 10 meters. However, we are currently using a very small antenna, which will soon be replaced by a larger and more powerful one to increase the range. We can give an update on this shortly. We are also working on a repeater mobile-app that connects to the sensors via Bluetooth and to the Eurorack module via Wi-Fi, which theoretically allows a range of up to 100 meters.

rduif
Learning to Wiggle

Post by rduif » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:45 am

instruments of things wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:08 am
This is exactly part of our idea. We have already made a video together with a dancer. The sound was recorded live and is controlled by her movement:
I figured you might have! :mrgreen: Looks very cool, I'd love to see what an extensive collaboration between two artists could result in.

I see that the sensors can map each of its three axes independently, which is nice considering you could actually create compound modulations this way that would not be possible with just two hands. Are there also more complex relations for the sensors within the firmware? I'm thinking differentiation between small and large movements for instance, like a subtle twist of the wrist vs the swing of an arm being mapped differently, or to different channels.

instruments of things
Learning to Wiggle

Post by instruments of things » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:08 am

rduif wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:45 am

I see that the sensors can map each of its three axes independently, which is nice considering you could actually create compound modulations this way that would not be possible with just two hands.
Exactly, so it's also a powerful tool in the studio to record complex modulations intuitively.
rduif wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:45 am
Are there also more complex relations for the sensors within the firmware? I'm thinking differentiation between small and large movements for instance, like a subtle twist of the wrist vs the swing of an arm being mapped differently, or to different channels.
Currently, only the three axes of the sensor can be mapped independently on the 2.4SINK outputs + you can switch between unipolar, bipolar and trigger mode on each axis and adjust the sensitivity. But we will definitely implement more possibilities in future updates.

instruments of things
Learning to Wiggle

Post by instruments of things » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:39 pm

Ableton Push + Eurorack System (wirelessly connected via 2.4SINK)

We developed a Max for Live device to connect Ableton Live wirelessly and easily with our 2.4SINK Eurorack interface. This also enables, for example, the use of the Push controller for your Eurorack system. Transmittable signals: Gate, pitch, velocity, aftertouch and pitchbend. Motion sensors can be used simultaneously. The Max for Live device will be published soon on our website for free.

In this video we use the 2.4SINK module in combination with the 'Plaits' oscillator by Mutable Instruments.

instruments of things
Learning to Wiggle

Post by instruments of things » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:59 am

The acceleration mode of our sensors is perfect for triggering sounds. So use your robot moves to become an instrument yourself.

What is your favorite dance style? Let us know and we will combine it with our motion control sensors.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”