Live Improvisational Rack Walkthrough & Jam

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

_RFJ
Learning to Wiggle

Live Improvisational Rack Walkthrough & Jam

Post by _RFJ » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:15 pm

Put together a walkthrough and demo of my Eurorack Livecase. First video is the walkthrough and short jam, second video is the jam only should you have no interest in the other stuff. My original goal with the modular was to do a generative ambient setup. I quickly found out, that’s not actually what I want to do. Over the last 5 months the rack has morphed into what you see here. It’s basically a live improv industrial techno rack that I’m super stoked about. Very minimal pre planning with the jam, only basic practice with the patch, pretty much created on the spot with the exception of tuning.

In hindsight, I really feel I missed some really important points in the walkthrough video. Especially on more broad issues like why a setup like this makes sense over more traditional groove boxes and such. I really wanted to focus on the benefits of the system for live use, and the way the sequencer and other utilities contribute to that. But, it took several takes to even get what I have here, and by the time I got that last take I just went with it. It's also important to note the benifits of the BIA / Manis in a small case like this, and the way they really free up space, being as they come with on board envelopes.

If there's any interest, maybe I’ll make another one sometime where I discuss some of those points in more detail. Anyway...

Enjoy!

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Live Improvisational Rack Walkthrough & Jam

Post by Cryosion » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:31 am

Nice walkthrough! I'm also really inspired by Steevio and MylarMelodies. Love their stuff. If I weren't totally rethinking my entire setup at the moment I'd say I should do one of these too, lol! Any chance you have a modulargrid link to your current setup?

You gave me some ideas too, specifically the numeric repetitor as a simple gate generator. Right now I have the WMD Metron, but I'm thinking it may be way too much for what I need at the moment. I love it though, so it's a really tough decision.
www.youtube.com/cryosion I make live improv-ish music on my modular. Sort of house-techno-bass music or something.

_RFJ
Learning to Wiggle

Post by _RFJ » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Cryosion wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:31 am
Nice walkthrough! I'm also really inspired by Steevio and MylarMelodies. Love their stuff. If I weren't totally rethinking my entire setup at the moment I'd say I should do one of these too, lol! Any chance you have a modulargrid link to your current setup?

You gave me some ideas too, specifically the numeric repetitor as a simple gate generator. Right now I have the WMD Metron, but I'm thinking it may be way too much for what I need at the moment. I love it though, so it's a really tough decision.
Hey thanks for the reply here and the comment over on YouTube. Sorry for the delay in reply here. I was super stoked reading your feedback.

Yes I do have a link to the system on Modulargrid -

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1012087

Glad seeing the system has given you some ideas. I wish there was more content like this on the web, walkthroughs and whatnot as I enjoy watching them quite a bit.

You mentioned Numeric Repetitior as a simple gate generator, which is totally doable and something I considered doing. But gate duties in this system are being handled by the Arpitecht > Integra Funkitus.

Arpitecht gate being sent to the Integra Funkitus which is a really cool module. It takes the Arpitecht gate and makes 4 copies that can be manipulated in a semi random fashion. Super useful in a small system like this.

So, you are rethinking your system you said?Curious to know how so.

Cryosion
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Cryosion » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:13 am

Well, I like to collect things in general, so I've started putting modules into my plan just because they're interesting to me, not necessarily because they're useful in performing live, which is my main goal. So I'm really trying to think through each module I choose to make sure it's going to be fun and useful (at least as far as I can tell without using it). I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll be buying and selling modules until I get a solid rack, and that will likely take a while!
www.youtube.com/cryosion I make live improv-ish music on my modular. Sort of house-techno-bass music or something.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”