Live set up and Compressors

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Live set up and Compressors

Post by r05c03 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:18 am

So, I am 1/2 of a synth pop duo that will hopefully be playing soon. The other 1/2 is the vocalist. I use primarily Elektron gear and some modular. I am not sure how I will ultimately cable everything up for playing out. I could cable everything to itself through the external inputs (which is nice because I would not need to haul out my mixer and it offers a certain set of sonic/compositional advantages) and feed a stereo pair to the sound guy, and let him handle the vocalist separately. Alternatively, I could haul out my mixer (which allows other advantages such as quick level adjustments and a different set of compositional / performance advantages) and feed him out the entire mix ass it comes out of the mixer and is how we rehearse. In either case I am curious as to your thoughts about utility of a compressor strapped across the main outs (it actually is mix out inserts).

I guess a third option would be to feed him all the signals as they come out of the various sources but that is a lot to expect him to mix, potentially, and a compressor would not be needed, by me, at any rate.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

Hovercraft
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Live set up and Compressors

Post by Hovercraft » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:58 pm

If you have the option of running a compressor on your main bus, I think it’s a great option for controlling the sound of your mix. Some light compression or analog limiting works wonders, as far as I’m concerned. Unless you know and trust the person running sound at the venue, I’d use your own mixer—-as long as you have good monitoring in place.

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:07 am

Hey! thanks for the input. I appreciate that.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:56 pm

I'd sum it up in 3 options.

1. You know or trust the mix engineer and let him handle everything.
2. Send him the stereo and let him be the one to apply compression and eq the "master"
3. Literally turn the engineer into a volume fader.

I personally almost go for the 2nd because no one knows the music better than yourself and mixing can change a HUGE deal about how people perceive your songs. BUT if you know the guy and enjoy his work, he'll always have a better perception of the venue than you due to his placement plus he probably works there every other night.

IF you know the guy and don't like his usually live mixing, that's where option 3 kicks in xD

blownauratone
Common Wiggler

Post by blownauratone » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:34 pm

I use a Bugbrand Stereo Compress (kinda wacky SSL mix buss comp clone) on my live setup, and I just love it. Helps to rein in errant signals, and I like the feeling of "togetherness" it brings to my output. I make subtle changes to the settings throughout the set to bring a bit of different texture to parts, too. It's a nice thing to have control over.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:22 pm

It's always easier to do a live set with a mixer especially to get your levels right, and also to kill a machine quickly if something goes pearshaped. Pulling out a wayward part and restarting it is much less obvious to a crowd than trying to audibly recover. It also means you can cue the individual instruments in headphones.

Zargzorg's advice is good. If the house has a compressor using a compressor yourself can cause problems. The only thing you might think of is a limiter on your modular output if you occasionally do things with it that can cause big volume spikes.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”