Live improv performance modules

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

dangayle
Learning to Wiggle

Live improv performance modules

Post by dangayle » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi all. I'm curious what your favorite modules for live improv performances are. I've basically been going the "Baseck+" route with a Manis Iteritas + Voltage block combo as the heart of my system, a BIA for kicks, a Plaits clone and a DNIPro Dot sequencing three drum tracks on my Bitbox. I swapped my Varigate for Bastl Knit rider, and I'm much happier with it.

I find the Bitbox makes a great tool for live performance, because I can get a second kick, ambient sample, or other sounds going while I transition my other modules for the next section. I might get a second Dot sequencer for it, because it is just so handy.

What other tools do you have that make for great live performances?

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Re: Live improv performance modules

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:41 am

You are talking about modules to play, not controllers to play other modules, right? If that is the case, the Nebulae is the one I play with the most. A huge range of different sounds and timbres are possible with it.

If you are talking about controllers, I basically make a full line of different ones and I use them all.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

dangayle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dangayle » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:00 pm

ersatzplanet wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:41 am
You are talking about modules to play, not controllers to play other modules, right? If that is the case, the Nebulae is the one I play with the most. A huge range of different sounds and timbres are possible with it.

If you are talking about controllers, I basically make a full line of different ones and I use them all.
I think I meant both. For instance, I have the Voltage Block. Killer for live performance. Or the Bishop's Miscellany, I've been eyeballing that one. For voices, it's to me if you can get a variety of sounds out of it without having to completely re-patch everything.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:31 pm

Doepfer A-198 ribbon controller.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

blw
Common Wiggler

Post by blw » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:59 pm

I get a lot out of a couple of Soundmachine LS-1’s and Mutable Ears for control. I usually use 1010 bitbox/toolbox into a Magneto and Modcan Dual Delay for drums or ambient textures, and then work with a few modules for a lead sound. That’s about the amount of stuff I can get my head around in a live set, and the 1010 modules’ memories help a ton to vary things up.

ZargZorg
Common Wiggler

Post by ZargZorg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:03 pm

Rene MK1 or Mk2. The touch controller is butter to use live

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”