How to perform live

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Jd1979
Common Wiggler

How to perform live

Post by Jd1979 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:49 pm

I have never performed live with my modular systems, but was really curious how people prepare for a live performance and how they execute an hour worth of modular music. What types of equipment are you using, are you using daw or hardware sequencers? Would really love to understand.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Re: How to reform live

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:16 pm

This of course depends on a multiple of things. Things as simple as "Are you playing solo?" to "What kind of music do you play?" to "Do you plan on only modular or other instruments allowed?".

Playing solo is of course the hardest, whether you have lots of gear or not. Having another member playing allows for re-patching time. The type of music will dictate a lot too. An improvisational gig allows for a lot of different directions and the more abstract the music is the easier it is to be flexible with dynamics and change. If you allow non-modular machines like desktop instruments, it can be done a lot easier.

I, myself play a mix of abstract and melodic in mainly an improvisational setup. I use a lot of Wav players and granular players in my rig so I can have a lot of very complex sounds and textures easily waiting for me to bring up an modify in realtime with the modular. For the melodic sections, I use players like the Tesseract Nutella which acts just like Ableton in a module, multiple tracks of sequencing and bass/drum loops that can be played and modified in realtime. Playing a recording of a sequence is no different to me than playing the sequencer itself if you modify/filter/chop/etc. in realtime using manual controls. The main difference is they it will be in tune and in time and uses much less modules. My live rig has turned into a few players (Nebulae's, 4ms STS, and the Nutella) and a TON of filters, VCAs, and controllers.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

sparood
Wiggling with Experience

Re: How to perform live

Post by sparood » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:31 pm

Can you tell us what you already working with at the moment?

Jd1979
Common Wiggler

Re: How to perform live

Post by Jd1979 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:07 pm

sparood wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:31 pm
Can you tell us what you already working with at the moment?
Sure, for starters thanks for responding guys. Right now I am sporting an Elektron Rytm, Analog Keys, Digitone, which are all synced. For modular I am working with a serge animate and animoo, Wiard 300 system, an oberheim sem, a SE Omega 8 and Se-1x. Everything is all routed together as a nervous system. The SE synths are being controlled via midi from the digitone, the Wiard and sem are being controlled via cv by the Elektron analog keys and the rytm is controlling tempo.

I love play a lot of different electronic music, in the more funky downtempo realm I guess. Here is a little sample of some of my system at work so you can get a sense of my style.

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”