Post your live modular performances here (Audio and Video)

Live patching, designs, and techniques that push the performance envelope.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:37 pm

Wow, thank you, Worwell and DonaldCrunk. Glad you dug it. It was a great experience.

TECHTAX
Learning to Wiggle

Joystick Performance

Post by TECHTAX » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Lately, I've been playing around with different uses for my V2 Joystick from BL. on live stuff.
In this Performance it is controlling:

-Bi-Polar pitch quantization on 4 different Osc.
-Cutoff Frequency with random Woggle FM input on 4 Separate Filters

It makes for a pretty neat "One Knob to Rule Them All" type of performance tool.

https://soundcloud.com/techtax/unrest

Let me know if you have any questions, and I will try my best to explain in more detail?

mün
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mün » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:23 am

Here's my first public appearance drenched in melancholy and based on my 7u case.
As you can see I'm still wiggling with caution :oops:

[video][/video]

Any thoughts or feedback would be highly appreciated! :razz:

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:19 am

mün wrote:Here's my first public appearance drenched in melancholy and based on my 7u case.
Thanks a lot for sharing. I found it an ethereal, floating journey, and I thought it was very evocative.

I think it'd be even more of an intense journey if it was half the length. My primary feedback would be to focus on concision. The different movements wouldn't wear out their welcome. I also wished for a few more really deep bass bits, and perhaps in future compositions more dynamism in density, tone, or energy might be worth exploring. (For some reason I found myself thinking of Eno's The Ship).

But as a set of moody, tonal soundscapes with clear melodic anchors, I dug it. :tu:

mün
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mün » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:36 am

noisejockey wrote:
mün wrote:Here's my first public appearance drenched in melancholy and based on my 7u case.
Thanks a lot for sharing. I found it an ethereal, floating journey, and I thought it was very evocative.

I think it'd be even more of an intense journey if it was half the length. My primary feedback would be to focus on concision. The different movements wouldn't wear out their welcome. I also wished for a few more really deep bass bits, and perhaps in future compositions more dynamism in density, tone, or energy might be worth exploring. (For some reason I found myself thinking of Eno's The Ship).

But as a set of moody, tonal soundscapes with clear melodic anchors, I dug it. :tu:
Thanks for great insights noisejockey!
My next appearance is in couple of weeks, will try to pay attention to the things you mentioned while preaparing for it!

ume pop
Learning to Wiggle

monorain live @ 33C3 / Chaos Computer Club

Post by ume pop » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:24 am

Rebelfilm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Rebelfilm » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:16 am

My first live performance on my Eurorack system.
This was during the January session of Modular on the Spot in Los Angeles.

colossus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colossus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:08 am

[video][/video]

Did this last night. First solo synth show. I think it went fairly well. Just a 104hp skiff with some Turing sequencing and some sines.

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:40 am

My first live performance on my Eurorack system. This was during the January session of Modular on the Spot in Los Angeles.
Tight and rich for a first time out! A short set with lots of detail makes a strong impression. Yay for the BitBox!
colossus wrote:Did this last night. First solo synth show. I think it went fairly well. Just a 104hp skiff with some Turing sequencing and some sines.
Nice, Ryan! It's an extremely nice way to wake up with a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning. I love that you constrained yourself to such a small setup for a 15-minute set; that's something we should all aspire to, and it'd be nice to see your ModularGrid layout for this set. Kind of wish the samples changed more over time, but the energy crescendo made sense as an organic evolution, so that was effective.

I liked the period footage, too - unusual but pastoral, I think it fit very well. A bit disappointed that Kepler wasn't part of the projection. That cat is epic. :lol:

colossus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colossus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:30 pm

colossus wrote:Did this last night. First solo synth show. I think it went fairly well. Just a 104hp skiff with some Turing sequencing and some sines.
Nice, Ryan! It's an extremely nice way to wake up with a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning. I love that you constrained yourself to such a small setup for a 15-minute set; that's something we should all aspire to, and it'd be nice to see your ModularGrid layout for this set. Kind of wish the samples changed more over time, but the energy crescendo made sense as an organic evolution, so that was effective.

I liked the period footage, too - unusual but pastoral, I think it fit very well. A bit disappointed that Kepler wasn't part of the projection. That cat is epic. :lol:[/quote]

Thanks, Nate. Yeah, I totally agree about the samples. My plan was to record four tracks on a looping cassette and mix them in real time but the looping cassette didn't want to take four tracks and I just ran out of time. This was a kinda last minute set.

This was the rig, minus the chord organ and plus a Bubblesound Diod filter:

Also had a Ditto Looper and EHX Cathedral reverb.

sammy123
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Sample & Fold Performance

Post by sammy123 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 am

Hi everyone. Here is a Quadraphonic performance by my trio Sample & Fold from Sunday. We performed live at MKESYNTH.02, which was/is a synth meetup in Milwaukee.

The recording has been remixed to stereo.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/317186497" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

olan
Learning to Wiggle

Post by olan » Tue May 09, 2017 5:20 pm

since I went 100% eurorack recently, I'd like to share two performances with you. An improvised techno set and an experimental / groove jam.

first the techno set:
[video][/video]

and this is the experimental set:
[video][/video]

metel909
Common Wiggler

Post by metel909 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:53 pm

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/327787416" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Last edited by metel909 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sersch
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sersch » Sat May 27, 2017 6:17 am

Last Friday I had a gig here in Hamburg, Germany, at a bar called "Golem", they have a really tiny cinema downstairs, on the screen were video sequences by Roland Barkey, who also filmed the evening and made the video (thanks, Roland!).

[video][/video]

I have a handful of patches on the Buchla which serve as "starting points" for my improvisations, which I loop live on the Octatrack, so there are no pre-produced sequences or audio files – I literally fly by the seat of my pants (not being a native speaker, I hope I got the right colloquialism).

Hope you enjoy it nevertheless.

EDIT: updated broken video link

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:29 pm

Here is from 13 July, 2017. Just modular and Eventide pedals plus Ableton Live for looper, recording, and giving mixing flexibility that I haven't found a hardware mixer that is capable of.

http://soundcloud.com/authorless/live-7132017
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

Tubefund
Common Wiggler

Live techno set from live stream

Post by Tubefund » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:19 am

Someone let me use their studio so i was happy to play over a large PA system to really get those subs banging. Nothing fancy but had a lot of fun. Small pre patched modular. No pre sequences, did that on the fly and some just before recording. Sequenced with beat step pro and baby8 seq. volca beats and some samples played from radio music and disting Mk4 thru clouds, spring reverb and mixer FX.
First 18 minutes just wiggling and tuning osc and things.

[video][/video]

johny_gtr
Veteran Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:52 am

noisejockey wrote:Second live show at Binary Society 05, performing "Submerged Cities."

Footage by Danny Kim and Vectrex visuals by SineBrave. 15U Eurorack, Eventide Space, Red Panda Particle, OP-1, and iPad with Samplr.

BTS scenes intercut when audience crossde in front of camera. ;-)

[video][/video]
it's really good show! :tu:

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:18 pm

sersch wrote:Last Friday I had a gig here in Hamburg, Germany, at a bar called "Golem"
I liked this very much! Lots of moments of violin-like articulations, like around 21 minutes, that are really quite poetic (and yes, you nailed the "flying by the seat of your pants" aphorism perfectly). Really liked the imagery projected during your show, too.

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Live techno set from live stream

Post by noisejockey » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Tubefund wrote:Someone let me use their studio so i was happy to play over a large PA system to really get those subs banging. Nothing fancy but had a lot of fun.
Lemme fix that video link for you (you must remove the S from "https"):
[video][/video]

I am always a sucker for sweeping ambient soundscapes with beats, so that was cool. Kind of wish you had your video a lot bigger in-frame; the TV is a nice gag at first, but it gets in the way of us seeing your performance in meaningful detail. We're all nerds here, we wanna see what you're doing! :bananaguitar:

Tubefund
Common Wiggler

Post by Tubefund » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:57 pm

Thanks for fixing that link. your right about the tv-canvas, that stream was the only thing not in my control :driving:

Damasene
Learning to Wiggle

Introducing Mutant Modular

Post by Damasene » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Hey wigglers! Hexinverter Électronique have recently started a new video project, inviting electronic artists to have a jam with the full range of Mutant Drums, the rest of our modular system, and whatever else they fancy. We're calling it Mutant Modular.

You may have already caught the first instalment via our fb page or matrixsynth, a slice of moody, atmospheric techno from Josh Korody aka Nailbiter, filmed a few weeks ago in our Montreal studio. Anyway, lots more is in the pipeline!

[video][/video]

seanrieger
Learning to Wiggle

My livestream

Post by seanrieger » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:40 pm

This is my livestream performance from last Friday.

[video][/video]

RadioTelefonik
Common Wiggler

Post by RadioTelefonik » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:29 am

From this past June.

[video][/video]
Last edited by RadioTelefonik on Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Damasene
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Damasene » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Hey guys. Mutant Modular #2 is here. Mateo Murphy came down to Hexinverter HQ and brought his Elektron A4 along. Hope you enjoy it!

[video][/video]
[/video]

kdjupdal
Common Wiggler

Post by kdjupdal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Recorder and modular, from a concert in Oslo organized by Nymusikk. Quite experimental sound-based piece. I used mostly Clouds and a delay in different modes.

[video][/video]

Return to “Play Out! Performance Modulars”