Athena Synth

Discussion and support for the AMSynths range of analog synthesizer modules.

Moderators: Kent, emuarc

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:40 am

emuarc wrote:Athena Update 02/02/14
Prototype VCA/ADSR/AR board has tested successfully, with a new VCA based on the LM13700, much quieter!! And this weekend the LFO board has been populated and works well, just waiting to get some 10m resistors and then the S&H will be finished. So that completes the individual tests and I can now layout a single main board and get this tested by end of February. I also started the panel and PCB design of the 1613 sequencer..I will post some pictures and rig up the 4 Athena boards so I can play some sounds and put them online..
This is very exciting, looking forward to it very much,...I really loved the Odyssey, just the originals sliders were terrible after 30 years of use...and thanks to work on the 1613, this is one of the must fun and easy to access sequencer (and quantizer...)

InfraXpert
Common Wiggler

Post by InfraXpert » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:06 am

I would love if you kept it modular instead of one big board.
In that way I could add a VCO to the left and an EG to the right.
That would be super cool: 8_)
Really good music starts with a solder iron

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:10 am

emuarc wrote:The sliders samples have arrived from our manufacturer and they are of a high quality with smooth response and a dust cover, we will be conducting further tests. We have used over 2000 sliders from our Chinese manufacturing company in our modules and had no problems at all, and no DOA.
Thank you, that's great to know!
There will be a beta programme where a small number of customers will build the kit and comment on quality, snags, etc., before we do the main shipments.
I suppose you have a group of old customers lined up already? I could be interested if not, even though it's looking really busy with synth DIY this spring...

Signed: missing my old Odyssey II already! :hihi:
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

bartleby
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bartleby » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:39 am

great to see this is making good progress!
emuarc wrote:Please keep the questions coming
bartleby wrote:how about adding an audio input, though?
seriously, an external audio input seems to be the only thing missing. or is it really me missing something instead?

p3t0r
Wiggling with Experience

Post by p3t0r » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:36 am

super cool. is it possible to pre-order?
Mix of vintage and Eurorack and Buchla. Some sounds at: http://soundcloud.com/p3t0r

scorbie
Common Wiggler

Post by scorbie » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:00 am

OMG HURRY UP!!! :)

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:06 am

Tight "competition" from Korg coming in format of ready-made Odyssey clone it seems. I suppose they'll be able to price it quite competitively, but pretty sure I'd rather DIY one...
Warm thank you to everyone for the past 10 years. I'm not active here anymore for personal reasons, so for those I've had the pleasure of dealing with please send an e-mail instead of PM if you wish to get in touch.

leeski
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by leeski » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:25 am

I'll take a white one :tu:

emuarc
Common Wiggler

Post by emuarc » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:16 am

Hi
I am sure you have all seen Korg announce an ARP Odyssey clone for release later this year. The Athena project is alive and well, we are focusing on getting the main PCB designed, now that we have proven all the sub modules. The Athena PCB will be THD with fat traces and a variety of design elements to make a very usable and high quality sounding synth, it is not an Odyssey clone.

The Athena will be launched as a SDIY product, with the single main PCB and a professional powder coated 6U panel. A BOM will be available in April. The synths is controlled via CV/gate/trigger and there will be a DIY kit to convert Roland 4-octave master keyboards (PC180) from MIDI to CV/gate/trigger. We are also developing a 1x16 channel sequencer with software memories, analog clock, as a 3U companion.

An initial run of 50x Athena's will be manufactured. Here is a picture of the VCF to be going on with. Pricing will be attractive, completed synths will be under 500 GBP.

Rob Keeble
Owner & Designer
AMSynths

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:16 am

I was just reminded of the Athena this morning. Becoming more and more certain I'll be in for building one after I finish the TTSH if only I can afford to get the PCB + panel when they're available. Really loved how my old Odyssey felt to use. I hope further kit availability, pricing, slider etc. info will be announced soon!

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:07 pm

Any update???

emuarc
Common Wiggler

Post by emuarc » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Latest News 26/04/14.

The single main production PCB is being laid out for the first time, with a test PCB ready by end of May. All the component tests have completed successfully. 2000 custom sliders are being ordered next week, 45mm with same format as Bourns but will take coloured slider caps. Sample sliders are perfect, very smooth. I don't anticipate offering a slider LED option, too bling, increases current consumption and the sliders I am having manufactured are perfect.

More pictures and sound samples will follow in May, along with a BOM and cost estimate. 50x Production PCB's and panels should be ready to ship June/July. No pre-orders or waiting, stock will be loaded on the web site and shipped immediately. :omg:
Rob Keeble
Owner & Designer
AMSynths

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Yay!

bkbirge
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bkbirge » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Nice!

Modular & Dork Rock:
https://bkbirge.bandcamp.com/
Racks:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/88730
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/89177
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/379579

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." ~ Puck, 1903

dimifrag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by dimifrag » Thu May 01, 2014 3:05 am

emuarc wrote:Athena Update 22/12/13
The 6U Front Panel has been designed with all the switch and potentiometer locations finalised. A prototype aluminium panel will be made in January.

Picture of the panel mockup is below.

The VCO prototypes are being built and tested over Xmas, and the potentiometer samples should arrive in early January.
Thats Good :)

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sat May 03, 2014 8:02 pm

Looks fantastic!
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/2SynthCube

synthcube webstore www.synthcube.com/cart
music from outer space: www.musicfromouterspace.com
blacet research: www.blacet.com
MOTM DIY Analog Synthesizers: www.motmsynthesizers.com
music from outer space euro smt: www.mfoseuro.com

emuarc
Common Wiggler

Post by emuarc » Sat May 17, 2014 7:44 am

Latest News 17/05/14

Picture of the Athena PCB...

Rob Keeble
Owner & Designer
AMSynths

StillNotWorking
Veteran Wiggler

Post by StillNotWorking » Sat May 17, 2014 9:02 am

Nice :tu: What size is it?

emuarc
Common Wiggler

Post by emuarc » Sat May 17, 2014 9:10 am

PCB is 320 x 435mm, fits into a 6U EuroRack style rack, Rittal, Schroff, etc. Or it can be mounted in a custom case using Z-rails.
Rob Keeble
Owner & Designer
AMSynths

InfraXpert
Common Wiggler

Post by InfraXpert » Sat May 17, 2014 10:45 am

Nice, when will it be available to buy?
Really good music starts with a solder iron

emuarc
Common Wiggler

Post by emuarc » Sun May 18, 2014 3:31 am

Aiming for customer shipping in July for an initial run of 25, no need for pre orders, in will be an in stock project with sliders, panel and PCB for sale via the web store. A sequencer will follow and we will manufacture to demand.
Rob Keeble
Owner & Designer
AMSynths

Jop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jop » Sun May 18, 2014 10:21 am

Looking forward to this one, any samples to share already Rob?

Thanks.

samuraipizzacat29
adadadadadadadsr

Post by samuraipizzacat29 » Sun May 18, 2014 7:31 pm

bump for recently discovered interest from the ttsh thread :)
"You can't rule the world by going at it all scattershot." - Pearl Forrester, "The Final Sacrifice"

Always stuff for sale. Pm me, add me on facebook. Send a carrier pigeon. Fox me.

emuarc
Common Wiggler

Post by emuarc » Mon May 26, 2014 11:12 am

Update 26/05/2014
The main PCB has been ordered as a 1st full sized prototype from our PCB supplier. This will enable testing of the complete synthesizer, some samples to be recorded and put online, and hopefully just a few corrections before the production PCB's are manufactured. Testing should start mid June and the 45mm non-LED Sliders should be arriving in the UK by the end of May.

The initial BOM is looking like 200 GBP for all the parts plus the price of the PCB and Panel which we are aiming to keep under 200 GBP. 15V power supply and case are not included but customers should be able to build an Athena for 500 GBP total.
Rob Keeble
Owner & Designer
AMSynths

flts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flts » Thu May 29, 2014 3:12 am

Excited!

Return to “AMSynths”