MIDITRIBE Discussion Thread

Support and discussion for Amazing Machines products.

Moderators: Kent, Amazing Machines

SG88
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SG88 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Love the miditribe - great work guys

mankzula
1-Post Wiggler

Post by mankzula » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:24 am

Does anyone know of a tutorial for drilling the proper sized holes for the midi connections? Sorry of this has already been answered, but i cannot search until i post. Hope this counts!

Amazing Machines
Common Wiggler

Post by Amazing Machines » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:33 am

mankzula wrote:Does anyone know of a tutorial for drilling the proper sized holes for the midi connections? Sorry of this has already been answered, but i cannot search until i post. Hope this counts!
Hi Mankzula,

There is a tutorial here:

http://www.bebetterstudios.com/blog/201 ... ification/

And another one here:

http://plattenfilet.com/musik/korg-mono ... tribe-mod/

Cheers,
Gabriel Rodrigues,
Amazing Machines

gwash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gwash » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:59 pm

There is a tutorial here:

http://www.bebetterstudios.com/blog/201 ... ification/

And another one here:

http://plattenfilet.com/musik/korg-mono ... tribe-mod/

Cheers,
Gabriel Rodrigues,
Amazing Machines
This is exactly what I came here to ask, thanks. Love the miditribe!

allochthon
Learning to Wiggle

Pitch problems sending MIDI via MIDItribe...

Post by allochthon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:09 pm

First off, I am super happy with the MIDItribe - it's been 100% effective for using the Monotribe with other MIDI gear, until I came across some weirdness...

I am sending MIDI via the MIDItribe to a Doepfer Dark Link and then to a "Moog" MG-1, which actually works!! What gets really bizarre is that depending on the note value I set on the Monotribe, the resulting pitch on the MG-1 will be wildly out of tune.

Example: If I play a D on the 16' octave the resulting note on the MG-1 may or may not be out of tune. Fine. I can plug the MG-1 into a tuner and adjust the pitch to D. If I then do the same for the octave up, the pitch is significantly sharp. Tune then go an octave up - sharp again.

I'm not sure if this is a Monotribe issue, a Dark Link issue or an MG-1 issue, but it takes a really awesome thing and makes it... well... not so awesome.

Any suggestions welcome.

Amazing Machines
Common Wiggler

Re: Pitch problems sending MIDI via MIDItribe...

Post by Amazing Machines » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:57 am

allochthon wrote:First off, I am super happy with the MIDItribe - it's been 100% effective for using the Monotribe with other MIDI gear, until I came across some weirdness...

I am sending MIDI via the MIDItribe to a Doepfer Dark Link and then to a "Moog" MG-1, which actually works!! What gets really bizarre is that depending on the note value I set on the Monotribe, the resulting pitch on the MG-1 will be wildly out of tune.

Example: If I play a D on the 16' octave the resulting note on the MG-1 may or may not be out of tune. Fine. I can plug the MG-1 into a tuner and adjust the pitch to D. If I then do the same for the octave up, the pitch is significantly sharp. Tune then go an octave up - sharp again.

I'm not sure if this is a Monotribe issue, a Dark Link issue or an MG-1 issue, but it takes a really awesome thing and makes it... well... not so awesome.

Any suggestions welcome.
Hi allochthon,

First, thank you for the positive feedback on the MIDITRIBE Kit :0)

The MIDITRIBE is not to blame in this case, what could be happening is one of the following issues:

1 - The Dark Link is set to a different standard than that of the MG-1 (Volt/Octave, Hertz/Octave)

2 - Maybe your MG-1 needs to be calibrated

3 - The Monotribe outputs Pitch Bend messages when you record sequences or play the Ribbon in Flux Mode, to send straight notes via the Ribbon or the Sequencer you must turn off Flux Mode

I hope that helps, feel free to ask any questions you may have!
Cheers!
Gabriel Rodrigues,
Amazing Machines

allochthon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by allochthon » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:05 am

Thank you for the quick and insightful response, Gabriel!

To address your three suggestions:

1. The MIDI to CV standard may very well be the issue. I plugged a microKORG into the Dark Link and experienced the same exact same thing. As an aside (if anyone ever picks this up on a search), to get the note on/off to work correctly for a Moog, one needs to pull the J1 jumper on the Dark Time circuit board to make the CV respond appropriately.

2. I had it serviced by an electronic wizard recently. Besides having noise, it hasn't shown any quirky pitch problems.

3. I never have Flux on.

The Dark Link wasn't necessarily designed for doing what I'm doing, but Doepfer knows that there are more than one application for their product (e.g., they address the gate problem explicitly). I will research the discrepancy between voltage and frequency with the Dark Link further.

Thanks again in helping me design the poor man's modular.

Amazing Machines
Common Wiggler

Post by Amazing Machines » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:58 am

allochthon wrote:Thank you for the quick and insightful response, Gabriel!

To address your three suggestions:

1. The MIDI to CV standard may very well be the issue. I plugged a microKORG into the Dark Link and experienced the same exact same thing. As an aside (if anyone ever picks this up on a search), to get the note on/off to work correctly for a Moog, one needs to pull the J1 jumper on the Dark Time circuit board to make the CV respond appropriately.

2. I had it serviced by an electronic wizard recently. Besides having noise, it hasn't shown any quirky pitch problems.

3. I never have Flux on.

The Dark Link wasn't necessarily designed for doing what I'm doing, but Doepfer knows that there are more than one application for their product (e.g., they address the gate problem explicitly). I will research the discrepancy between voltage and frequency with the Dark Link further.

Thanks again in helping me design the poor man's modular.
Hey allochthon, you are very welcome :0)

I think you just have to check the Dark Link manual to find out how to select the appropriate voltage standard for your Moog, also have a look at the MG-1 manual, Moogs are usually Vol/Oct but you never know until you know...

Cheers!
Gabriel Rodrigues,
Amazing Machines

allochthon
Learning to Wiggle

Post by allochthon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Gabriel -

I was able to figure out my problems - they can be blamed on the MG-1.

I performed a complete calibration of the MG-1, which included calibrating the "stretch tuning". This solved the problem of notes being out of tune over octave ranges. However, the big problem remains that the source (monotribe) and the MG-1 do not play the same notes. It turns out the MG-1 scales from F = 0 volts, while the monotribe scales from C = 0 volts., resulting in everything being off by five notes. Uhg..

The way to solve this is by offsetting the CV voltage. There are modules available for this exact purpose, but this has to be a fairly simple circuit. I'll post elsewhere on this forum and hope for the best.

One question that I had, that I don't remember being addressed in the MIDItribe documentation is how the MIDItribe handles clock info. If it is using a MIDI clock, does it send this data to the MIDI out?

Cheers,
John

Amazing Machines
Common Wiggler

Post by Amazing Machines » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:00 am

allochthon wrote:Gabriel -

I was able to figure out my problems - they can be blamed on the MG-1.

I performed a complete calibration of the MG-1, which included calibrating the "stretch tuning". This solved the problem of notes being out of tune over octave ranges. However, the big problem remains that the source (monotribe) and the MG-1 do not play the same notes. It turns out the MG-1 scales from F = 0 volts, while the monotribe scales from C = 0 volts., resulting in everything being off by five notes. Uhg..

The way to solve this is by offsetting the CV voltage. There are modules available for this exact purpose, but this has to be a fairly simple circuit. I'll post elsewhere on this forum and hope for the best.

One question that I had, that I don't remember being addressed in the MIDItribe documentation is how the MIDItribe handles clock info. If it is using a MIDI clock, does it send this data to the MIDI out?

Cheers,
John
Hi allochthon,

It's on the manual, page 14, the Monotribe will sync to MIDI Clock and Output MIDI Clock via the MIDITRIBE I/O's Output Port, you can also mix and match with the builtin Sync I/O on the Monotribe, so you also get a converter with the MIDITRIBE I/O, it converts from Sync Pulse to MIDI Clock and from MIDI Clock to Sync Pulse using the built in Sync I/O.

About the tunning issues, if the scaling is working now, can't you simply tune the MG-1 to 0V = C?

There must be a fine tune trim pot inside the MG-1 to set the overall tuning...

Cheers!
Gabriel Rodrigues,
Amazing Machines

Return to “Amazing Machines”