Did IDOW Work?

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

bitocity
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bitocity » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:42 am

It worked I guess. Was one more thing to push me into buying a new soldering iron!

Slinky
Common Wiggler

Post by Slinky » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:34 pm

It's the reason I am here and trying to work out the basic's after playing around with the new mono synth's that have been coming out. I have always been fascinated by modular gear ever since discovering early klaus Schulze records and seeing him surrounded with all that gear.

This forum and it's sticky links have really helped.
https://soundcloud.com/slinkydisc

https://m.mixcloud.com/SlinkyCee/

https://soundcloud.com/groups/melbourne ... electronic

Illustration by TheBritishRule.etsy.com

Ice King: Cooool. Whaddaya think, Finn? Can we pull back the veil of static and reach into the source of all being? Behind this curtain of patterns... this random pattern generator... So clever... right here in every home, watching us from a one-sided mirror...

Plumbstone
Common Wiggler

Post by Plumbstone » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:49 am

It worked in as much as its made me want much much more modular. I;ve only just watched it and am about to order up most of an oakley 5U system I think... At least DIY might keep the cost down a bit...

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Chickenbone » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:35 pm

does the blue ray release have more content than the dvd?

Felnyrii
Common Wiggler

Post by Felnyrii » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:44 pm

A bunch of people at my university like to talk to me about IDOW since it hit Netflix. Not much more interest from them besides the ability to talk to me about what they watched however... Pretty much, "Hey I saw a movie about people who make space noises like you!" For myself, I got into Eurorack previous to IDOW's release (not by much), but the Buchla and Moog sections were nice informational bites for me.

One of my professors is a Fairlight dude who enjoyed being able to catch up a bit on newer manufacturers and the scene in general.

Though, was the goal of IDOW to pull people into the modular scene or more to document and discuss the scene with and for people already in it?

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:54 pm

Felnyrii wrote:Though, was the goal of IDOW to pull people into the modular scene or more to document and discuss the scene with and for people already in it?
Neither one of these describes what the goal was, which was:
to explore the history, demise and resurgence of the modular synthesizer.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:58 pm

Chickenbone wrote:does the blue ray release have more content than the dvd?
There are 2 cuts of the film: "I Dream Of Wires: Hardcore Edition" came out on DVD and BluRay in 2013. It is 4 hours long so it contains at least 2.5 hours more material than "I Dream Of Wires" - the 96 minute cut which is the 1 streaming on Netflix, iTunes, etc, and also avail on DVD (though not on BluRay).

"I Dream Of Wires: Hardcore Edition" was off the market for about 8 months, but we are once again selling our remaining stock copies (approx 150 left):

http://www.science-with-synthesizers.co ... dvd-bluray

thanks

Jason

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Chickenbone » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:07 pm

What's the deal with the "no usa and Japan delivery"?

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:23 pm

Chickenbone wrote:What's the deal with the "no usa and Japan delivery"?
it's due to distribution terms with our USA and Japan distributors

Felnyrii
Common Wiggler

Post by Felnyrii » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:29 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:Neither one of these describes what the goal was, which was:
Great explanation. From what I was reading here, people seemed concerned with how IDOW interacted with an audience more than what the content of the film attempted to discuss. :despair:

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Felnyrii wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:Neither one of these describes what the goal was, which was:
Great explanation. From what I was reading here, people seemed concerned with how IDOW interacted with an audience more than what the content of the film attempted to discuss. :despair:
But you wondered what the goal of the film was, stating two possible motives, neither of which actually was the intended goal ("was the goal of IDOW to pull people into the modular scene or more to document and discuss the scene with and for people already in it?"). So, as one of the film makers, I am answering the question. Our goal in making the film was to explore the history, demise and resurgence of the modular synthesizer... and to add to that a bit, to highlight the enthusiasm/passion that musicians, enthusiasts, makers have for modular synthesizers, a passion that we also share.

Felnyrii
Common Wiggler

Post by Felnyrii » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:03 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:
Felnyrii wrote:
But you wondered what the goal of the film was, stating two possible motives, neither of which actually was the intended goal ("was the goal of IDOW to pull people into the modular scene or more to document and discuss the scene with and for people already in it?"). So, as one of the film makers, I am answering the question. Our goal in making the film was to explore the history, demise and resurgence of the modular synthesizer... and to add to that a bit, to highlight the enthusiasm/passion that musicians, enthusiasts, makers have for modular synthesizers, a passion that we also share.
Sorry, yeah, I understood what you meant. Didn't mean to be confused.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:07 pm

Felnyrii wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:
Felnyrii wrote:
Sorry, yeah, I understood what you meant. Didn't mean to be confused.
Cool... I guess it's a bit confusing in the context of the thread itself, which seems to suggest that the goal of IDOW was to sell people people buying modulars. Of course, I understand that IDOW has had that affect, but that's really a product of our enthusiasm for the subject, and the enthusiasm that comes across from the people we interviewed. It's not like we really had anything to gain from more people getting into modulars.

thebanffcentre
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thebanffcentre » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:20 pm

For those in Melbourne, Keith Whitman + Robin Fox, Dec 18 http://www.keithfullertonwhitman.com/events/

solidstatedisaster
Learning to Wiggle

Post by solidstatedisaster » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:36 am

IDOW wasn't what got me into the idea of modular synthesis, but is sure tipped my scale of making the plunge. I always thought it would be too far out of my reach, but it made me want to twist knobs, and build stuff so I could have my own modular set up.

Slinky
Common Wiggler

Post by Slinky » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:11 am

Got tickets for the Whitman show :banana:

Looking forward to it.
https://soundcloud.com/slinkydisc

https://m.mixcloud.com/SlinkyCee/

https://soundcloud.com/groups/melbourne ... electronic

Illustration by TheBritishRule.etsy.com

Ice King: Cooool. Whaddaya think, Finn? Can we pull back the veil of static and reach into the source of all being? Behind this curtain of patterns... this random pattern generator... So clever... right here in every home, watching us from a one-sided mirror...

walter23
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Did IDOW Work?

Post by walter23 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:46 pm

southphillysynths wrote:I was just thinking about IDOW today...

I got into modular just when IDOW was entering it's third funding phase. I watched the trailer and thought, I really hope they get funding and then forgot out it... I'm very happy that it came out and I got a pre order for the hardcore edition.

Obviously there has been much media coverage etc. about it since then and it seems to be reaching new people that are not necessarily in the modular/music scene at all which seemingly is the intent of it.

I was wondering how many of you are here because of it or perhaps made the plunge after watching it after it rekindle your interest. Has it helped spark interest or teach understanding to the people around you?
I've long been into all varieties of electronic music but especially industrial & EBM (e.g. kraftwerk, frontline assembly, the orb, welle:erdball, royksopp, the knife, project pitchfork, front 242, orphyx, this morn omina, to give a random sample), but grew up when digital synths and workstations were The Thing. Analogue mono-synths were nice sounding but annoyingly limited, especially for kids on a budget like I was. An all-in-one sampler & synth workstation made way more sense, and of course soft synths were even better from a practical perspective because you could just fire up your laptop, open up Jeskola Buzz or whatever you felt like, and start working without needing to buy any gear.

Since watching "I dream of wires" the fetish factor of modulars is strong in me, although I'm not sure how to handle it. I'm building, but it's more a technical exercise than a musical one. I expect it'll be fun to fiddle around with. I like how the signal paths and various components have "edges" where things get into non-ideal and chaotic behaviour, and I like playing different modulation sources against each other (particularly interesting semi-chaotic periodic behaviour like the interaction between LFOs of two different frequencies). Soft synths and digital workstations don't really have those weird chaotic regions that you can tweak into, although they have many similar (and perhaps more elaborate) algorithmic & periodic possibilities. So I'm sort of enjoying that aspect of imperfect analog circuitry.

I built a little drone box for the hell of it last week, and a cool side effect was that I pick up a lot of RF noise in my basement including some radio station. I'm treating it as a feature, as it adds some interesting grit and unexpected chaos to a machine that is really designed to just make ambient noise.

https://soundcloud.com/sailor1234/rever ... 1-21-41-40

Maybe I'm just jumping on the trend bandwagon here, but I think this aspect excites me much more than the musical capabilities of modular synths. I'm a long time Coil fan (RIP Jhonn Balance & Peter Christopherson), and while I'm an atheist, I think I like to imagine that these machines have a spiritual life of their own, and dialing in the behaviour at the edges of chaos is where that life starts to reveal itself.

For music, soft synths and workstations are much more capable (although in some respects, removing limitations also makes it harder to do anything because you've got too many possibilties in front of you).

ColossalOstrich
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ColossalOstrich » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:43 pm

After falling away from regular old piano, since reading music is a huge challenge for me, IDOW has really helped me get back into wanting to do stuff with music. Initially I was looking at big workstation keyboards, but those are way too expensive and I'm garbage at understanding the kinds of displays they have. Looked at bass guitar cause I love the rich deep sound they have, but I'm absolute crap at even contorting my fingers into the correct place the play the thing. Modular synthesis is exactly every sound I love all packaged together into a fairly cheap in comparison and super fun looking case.

SUPER looking forward to getting myself my first Mother-32, by the way

shredsickgnar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shredsickgnar » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:58 am

It for sure worked for me. I've dabbled with analog modeling synths for a long time but then sold most of my music gear when I got married. I've been slowly rebuilding my gear and I saw IDOW it sparked my interest to get back into it. It's been a goal of mine to build a synth for a while and I saw all the DIY resources on here and ordered some MFOS stuff and then followed it up with some synthrotek kits!
https://soundcloud.com/advancedelectric
Latest Ambient youtube performance vid::
https://youtu.be/xfWiDTkIyKo
[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=695091456 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

Maxx mayhem
Common Wiggler

Post by Maxx mayhem » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:49 pm

I actually had no idea this all existed (other than the great Moog redux project of 2014 which I found to be unbelievably cool if unaffordable) After a bit of digging around for further info, well, there's a modular system on my desk... :75: :75: :75: :75: :75: :75:

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:24 pm

Maxx mayhem wrote:I actually had no idea this all existed (other than the great Moog redux project of 2014 which I found to be unbelievably cool if unaffordable) After a bit of digging around for further info, well, there's a modular system on my desk... :75: :75: :75: :75: :75: :75:
You're saying you had no idea that new modulars existed until seeing IDOW? Cool if so!

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:16 pm

I finally saved up to buy a bunch of synth stuff and then this popped up...and suddenly the synths weren't enough and this was the plunge I wanted to take. I've always focused on new sonics with guitar, mostly making synth kind of tones, so why not just get synth with the options for maximum exploration.

Willowhaus
Common Wiggler

Post by Willowhaus » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:27 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:I finally saved up to buy a bunch of synth stuff and then this popped up...and suddenly the synths weren't enough and this was the plunge I wanted to take. I've always focused on new sonics with guitar, mostly making synth kind of tones, so why not just get synth with the options for maximum exploration.
Kinda the same here - I've always considered the electric guitar as a kind of synth anyway, especially when you start messing around with pedals & such. I saw the doc on Netflix as well, around the time I'd been looking for something more than the usual pedals & such (which I've messed with for years & years), as well as spending the last year & a half getting deep into Ableton & deciding that I wanted to understand synthesis. The modular approach dovetails with all this pretty nicely - I'm taking my baby steps now (started with the Mother 32) and figuring out how to integrate all this stuff together & explore some new territory.

bamusser
Common Wiggler

Post by bamusser » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:51 pm

Going to agree with a lot of posts here. The documentary certainly completed it's goal. Even the 1.5 hr edition covered a pretty detailed history of contemporary synthesis without being exhausting (my partner's feelings...she has no background or heavy interest in synthesis). Despite the lack of intent of stimulating modular sales, I certainly agree that more people getting into wiggling is a good thing. It promotes littler companies and small business gaining momentum and also stimulates logic skills within the brain. Having average musicians use modulars will get them to reconsider signal path and potentially result in more interesting song writing for all types of music.
Hats off to Solvent for chiming in here and there to clarify intentions for the film.
Personally, it pushed me from lurking into planning last year and watched it again two months ago and pushed me into finally buying a case and some modules. I was already familiar with the Moog systems, mono synths, and a lot of synth history, but having a full film dedicated to the passion that the interviewees have for modular certainly rubbed off on me hard.

Rogangosh
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Rogangosh » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:18 pm

My interest in Eurorack was greatly advanced by this documentary.

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”