MODULAR: The Documentary

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:27 am

wow Node... I remember that - the London subway modular extravaganza. Good suggestion...

diophantine wrote:Looking forward to this! The Subotnick interview clips in particular had me wanting to see (hear?) a lot more.

You should definitely try and interview Ed Buller (Node, Psychedelic Furs, etc.) Pretty sure he's based in London at the moment. He's active here (as, oddly enough, "ed buller"), has an AMAZING synth, and even better: he makes fantastic music with it.

futureworlder
taking tiger mountain

Post by futureworlder » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:42 am

I work for a music magazine and we have been in touch with Anthony Gonzalez (M83) who will be touring to support his new album. Anthony is a big modular user and has even brought a custom-built system with him on his last tour. I for one would love to see him take part in this project. I'll PM you his info.

opsysbug wrote:Please tell me they like each other so I can go try to scramble up yet another 3K of my retirement funds to waste on blinking leds and motorcycle sounds.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:44 am

if your going to analog haven why not stop by big city music? I think they are very close to each other in california. can you interview metasonix while he is building and testing a module. I dont think he should be overlooked simply because of what some people think of him.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Yes please do. I see that he is coming to Toronto in November.
futureworlder wrote:I work for a music magazine and we have been in touch with Anthony Gonzalez (M83) who will be touring to support his new album. Anthony is a big modular user and has even brought a custom-built system with him on his last tour. I for one would love to see him take part in this project. I'll PM you his info.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:52 pm

We have been in touch with both BCM and Metasonix. We haven't been in touch with AHaven though - got no response when I inquired.

EATyourGUITAR wrote:if your going to analog haven why not stop by big city music? I think they are very close to each other in california. can you interview metasonix while he is building and testing a module. I dont think he should be overlooked simply because of what some people think of him.

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:44 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:Are there any modular-using artists besides yourself in Seattle that we should talk to?

We are really lacking in live modular performance shots - you perform with a modular right? Wonder if we could try to get a gig lined up to coincide with our visit?

computer controlled wrote:Will be interesting to see some of the Seattle interviews =o] If there's anyway i can help, let me know.
That is an interesting idea. We should def try to make that happen. I'm sure someone here will be open to this.

I know Infradead uses a modular as well. George Mattson has a friend who built an MMM in a floor sitting case to use with his Bass Guitar.
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

KNYST
hiding in the forest

Post by KNYST » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:42 pm

An interview with Serge Tcherepnin would be the ultimate thing IMO.

and, a moment with Tom Bugs (BugBrand) wouldn't be to shabby either!!
NOISE HEALS.
patch responsibly.
LISTEN | WATCH

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:37 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:Are there any modular-using artists besides yourself in Seattle that we should talk to?

We are really lacking in live modular performance shots - you perform with a modular right? Wonder if we could try to get a gig lined up to coincide with our visit?

computer controlled wrote:Will be interesting to see some of the Seattle interviews =o] If there's anyway i can help, let me know.

There have been some new live happenings in Tacoma (about 30 miles south of Seattle) lately that might be of interest. I think they are both going to be regular (weekly or monthly?) events:

Tacoma Noise Rodeo
http://www.weeklyvolcano.com/entertainm ... in-tacoma/

http://nwtekno.org/showthread.php?t=163255

Tacoma Noise Rodeo exists because there is no outlet for in Tacoma for who make music that tends towards the drone and noise. The idea behind the noise rodeo is to locate this venue. Esoteric electronic music has always had a hard time finding a place and a time.

That place is Caffe Dei. The time is Saturday Sept 17th 8pm.
...The price? Free.

Full On
Full On has been responsible for deafening ears and expanding horizons since 1999. From ethereal ambient eloquence to harsh noise and beaty chunks of goodness in between, Full On pulls segments from the Chaos to heal the masses. All that's required is an open heart, open mind, and open ears.
http://soundcloud.com/full-on

Firedrill
Firedrill has been making his own wacky style of chipmusic in the Northwest for the past 5 years. Shifting through various styles of chiptune, he remains unphased and unjaded. He will be entering the Tacoma Noise Rodeo armed with a Commodore 64 and a fistful of bananas.
http://freedrool.us/

Bagger288
Bagger288 makes noise and drones, with special focus on space (outer), harmonic textures and relationships. At the noise rodeo he will be droning on fretless (buddha) guitar.
http://www.bagger288.com/

Infradead
Infradead sings songs for the silenced 56k modems in the world. His plan for noise rodeo involves a modular synthesizer and plenty of patch cables he creates conduits for the control voltage to flow.
http://www.soundcloud.com/infradead

música electrônica - Electronic Music Night at Metronome
Time Saturday, September 24 · 8:00pm - 11:00pm
Location Metronome Coffee
6th & Union
Tacoma, WA

Created By Kord F Taylor

Come out for a night of varied and adventurous electronic music at Metronome Coffee. Metronome has great coffee, snacky stuff and beer/wine. It *is* ALL AGES so bring the family if ya want!

The players are:

NICK FRANCIS
... + the Choppertone
Live remixing and mash-ups with classic jazz cuts, pop fusions and more.

Nick has hosted a melange of radio programs spanning a number of styles and is the musical director at KPLU. His love of jazz, electronic music and taste for musical adventure has led him to creating and performing jazz-infused compositions with his homemade, custom, MIDI controller called the "Choppertone".

His music and the Choppertone has been getting lots of attention from the electronic music community, with videos and interviews at Create Digital Music (http://createdigitalmusic.com/2011/05/a ... eton-live/) and elsewhere.

Check it out in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/musicinablender

INFRADEAD
Call it 8 bit or call it Chiptunes, but you have to call it heritage.

The sounds of 80's video games are embedded in at least one generation's heads and new tracks are showing up in today's media.
Face it, blips and bleeps just sound really cool!

Chris Lehfeldt uses Game Boys, FX and other bits to construct walls of textured sound. He's also known to whip out a tasty, boutique analog synth module to add some analog ying to his digital yang.

Music at: http://soundcloud.com/infradead

grüvtron
Driving beats, ambient space, melodic spice and sound bytes selected with love.

Aaron and Kord like to make music with their little touch screen gadgets (and actually create the music apps they use as part of the company Sound Trends).

Their company info is at: http://www.soundtrends.com/

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:37 pm

There are a few players in Seattle/Tacoma and the PNW in general. There are new venues appearing (like the Noise Rodeo events in Tacoma) and of course there are more than one modular maker in Seattle - Synthwerks, Flight of Harmony, The Harvestman, Division6, Mattson Modular, and more. Worth the trip for sure.
-James
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:27 am

ersatzplanet wrote:There are a few players in Seattle/Tacoma and the PNW in general. There are new venues appearing (like the Noise Rodeo events in Tacoma) and of course there are more than one modular maker in Seattle - Synthwerks, Flight of Harmony, The Harvestman, Division6, Mattson Modular, and more. Worth the trip for sure.
-James
Yes this Seattle visit is pretty much confirmed. What we discussed with George Mattson was arranging some kind of manufacturer roundtable discussion with all of these companies invited to participate. You'll be hearing from us once we have a better idea of exact dates - likely January-ish

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Low-Gain » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:49 am

s o l v e n t wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:There are a few players in Seattle/Tacoma and the PNW in general. There are new venues appearing (like the Noise Rodeo events in Tacoma) and of course there are more than one modular maker in Seattle - Synthwerks, Flight of Harmony, The Harvestman, Division6, Mattson Modular, and more. Worth the trip for sure.
-James
Yes this Seattle visit is pretty much confirmed. What we discussed with George Mattson was arranging some kind of manufacturer roundtable discussion with all of these companies invited to participate. You'll be hearing from us once we have a better idea of exact dates - likely January-ish

Sweet!

jw112
Common Wiggler

Post by jw112 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:58 am

i cant wait to see this

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:53 am

Sorry if it's already been suggested or you are on top of it but you should definitely take a trip down to Texas and talk to Paul at Synth Tech and Roger at Synthesizers.com since, IMHO, they along with Doepfer and Modcan were THE main driving forces that jump-started the new modular revolution. Maybe even do a layover in San Fran CA to talk to Cynthia at Cyndustries?

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:00 am

JohnLRice wrote:Sorry if it's already been suggested or you are on top of it but you should definitely take a trip down to Texas and talk to Paul at Synth Tech and Roger at Synthesizers.com since, IMHO, they along with Doepfer and Modcan were THE main driving forces that jump-started the new modular revolution. Maybe even do a layover in San Fran CA to talk to Cynthia at Cyndustries?
Perhaps talking to some of the artists who jump started the need for people to build modulars again would be good too!
I remember in the late 80's loads of people I was working with and around had modulars when nobody else cared...

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:19 am

We're not going to Texas. HOWEVER, we have just realized (thanks to mr Circuit Abbey) something that should've been obvious to us before: so many of the manufacturers are going to be @ NAMM in January, so we are going to be there too. Paul @ Synth Tech has already confirmed that he will be there. Not sure about Roger @ Dotcom but we'll definitely check.
JohnLRice wrote:Sorry if it's already been suggested or you are on top of it but you should definitely take a trip down to Texas and talk to Paul at Synth Tech and Roger at Synthesizers.com since, IMHO, they along with Doepfer and Modcan were THE main driving forces that jump-started the new modular revolution. Maybe even do a layover in San Fran CA to talk to Cynthia at Cyndustries?

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:26 am

Morley wrote:
Perhaps talking to some of the artists who jump started the need for people to build modulars again would be good too!
I remember in the late 80's loads of people I was working with and around had modulars when nobody else cared...
If you can pass any names of people with contact info to me, please do... a PM or an email to solvent [at] solventcity [dotcom]. It's really no use to me to name names unless you can also give me contact info. Mr Morley pls remind me (via PM/email) where in the UK you are, because if we can make it to you, we would be more than happy to include you in this.

Out of personal curiosity I'd be interested to know which of your associates were using modulars during that time. Assuming that you were working with other UK ambient/techno/electronica producers during that era, I'm guessing you are referring to people like Pete Namlook, Mark Van Hoen, the Orb, etc...?

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:30 am

Didn't want it to sound like I want in on it! I doubt I am relevant enough (but glad to offer any insight) but honestly just want the documentary to cover the scenes that were important for the modular revival.
I fully appreciate the builders etc but they were driven buy an emerging market caused by producers wanting modulars again.
I'll see what e-mails I have and drop them to you
I am in Belgium.

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:32 am

Yes I am thinking of those people. Mark used an Aries for his early stuff and Robert Leiner too. from 1990 on I had an ARP 2500 and other modulars soon afterwards. Am racking my brain for any other people worth talking too.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:36 am

Morley wrote:Yes I am thinking of those people. Mark used an Aries for his early stuff and Robert Leiner too. from 1990 on I had an ARP 2500 and other modulars soon afterwards. Am racking my brain for any other people worth talking too.
MVH lives in NYC now though, and I'm guessing he doesn't use that stuff much, if at all, anymore. I am a HUGE fan of early Locust, and Autocreation, BTW... that is some of my favorite music to come out of the whole early techno/electronica scene.

Anyway, no need to rack your brain too hard - we are not coming to the UK until something like March/April next year!

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:38 am

MVH sold it all quite early on and moved into protools. still interesting music. sOme great but I have a soft spot for his early stuff too. He's still offer a great insight into that era of modular revival though.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:43 am

Morley wrote:Didn't want it to sound like I want in on it! I doubt I am relevant enough (but glad to offer any insight) but honestly just want the documentary to cover the scenes that were important for the modular revival.
I fully appreciate the builders etc but they were driven buy an emerging market caused by producers wanting modulars again.
I am in Belgium.
I didn't take it that you wanted in on it. But it's nonsense that you wouldn't be "relevant enough"! It would definitely be interesting to talk to some musicians who were buying/using modulars during that era when they were unwanted cast-offs from the era of prog-rock wizards. Belgium is not feasible for us though...

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:04 am

s o l v e n t wrote: Belgium is not feasible for us though...
Have you seen his Polyfusion? You may change your mind. :hihi:

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:06 am

PS Robert is going back to NYC so I am going to look into the possibility of him interviewing Mark Van Hoen. Thanks David for reminding me of him. This early-90s period of people rediscovering the modular, particularly techno/electronica producers, is a piece of the puzzle that we have not covered as of yet, so this could be a really valuable interview.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:16 am

essex sound lab wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote: Belgium is not feasible for us though...
Have you seen his Polyfusion? You may change your mind. :hihi:
That's cool and all, and of course I would love to see that, but the purpose here is to make a film / tell a story, not to compile the ultimate gearslut gallery of modulars!

Morley
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Morley » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:47 am

s o l v e n t wrote:
Morley wrote:Didn't want it to sound like I want in on it! I doubt I am relevant enough (but glad to offer any insight) but honestly just want the documentary to cover the scenes that were important for the modular revival.
I am in Belgium.
I didn't take it that you wanted in on it. But it's nonsense that you wouldn't be "relevant enough"! It would definitely be interesting to talk to some musicians who were buying/using modulars during that era when they were unwanted cast-offs from the era of prog-rock wizards. Belgium is not feasible for us though...
Cool
Perhaps we could Skype anyway so we can at east chat about things!
I'll drop you a mail
David

David

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”