MODULAR: The Documentary

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:00 am

s o l v e n t wrote:
essex sound lab wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote: Belgium is not feasible for us though...
Have you seen his Polyfusion? You may change your mind. :hihi:
That's cool and all, and of course I would love to see that, but the purpose here is to make a film / tell a story, not to compile the ultimate gearslut gallery of modulars!
I said it mostly tongue in cheek. I know your documentary isn't a gearslut chronicle. But as good as Morley would likely be over the phone I'm guessing that in his studio would be even better. I can think of places I've been where you feel that history of the artist and their machines, in a way that's different than if you converse with them remotely (not naming names). But again, I was mostly ribbing...

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:18 am

essex sound lab wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:
essex sound lab wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote: Belgium is not feasible for us though...
Have you seen his Polyfusion? You may change your mind. :hihi:
That's cool and all, and of course I would love to see that, but the purpose here is to make a film / tell a story, not to compile the ultimate gearslut gallery of modulars!
I said it mostly tongue in cheek. I know your documentary isn't a gearslut chronicle. But as good as Morley would likely be over the phone I'm guessing that in his studio would be even better. I can think of places I've been where you feel that history of the artist and their machines, in a way that's different than if you converse with them remotely (not naming names). But again, I was mostly ribbing...
Same here - I wasn't meaning to come off as crabby about it, so sorry if I did! I am sure that his studio would be jaw dropping, and we could compare notes on our half-working Polymoogs

dude
fuck yeah!

Post by dude » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:38 pm

bump for jazz.

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Herr Doepfer, Grant Richter, and Jurg Oldani (Technosaurus) were the ones who had systems in the second part of the 90s. Doepfer even before that...
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:25 pm

Peake wrote:Herr Doepfer, Grant Richter, and Jurg Oldani (Technosaurus) were the ones who had systems in the second part of the 90s. Doepfer even before that...
And PAiA! :tu:

solitaryzen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by solitaryzen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:25 pm

And John Blacet :blacet:

sydilaxe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sydilaxe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:58 pm

And Rex...although building STS panels out of Oakland at the time.

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:45 am

All wonderful candidates for interview, for those doing it when the rest of us were (mostly) all DX-7 worshippers.
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:59 am

David Morley is certainly a notable modular user of that late 80's early 90's period.

If you're filming people at NAMM (good idea) you should book a nice hotel room now (ahead of time) and set up your filming rig there.
The floor is crazy with sooo many people and so much noise.
It's traditional for side events to take place in hotel rooms, and anyone wanting to have a serious meeting or conversation uses a hotel room.
I read the rest of this thread a few weeks ago and can't remember all the names mentioned, but just in case, some slightly less obvious names: Pat Gleeson - (solo, Herbie Hancock, Apocalypse Now), Roger Powell - (solo, Utopia, early Moog salesman), Malcolm Cecil - (Tonto).

solarmodulars
Common Wiggler

Post by solarmodulars » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:03 am

rather buy shoes for children... classic.

:tu:
Random curve.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:34 am

chrisso wrote:Pat Gleeson - (solo, Herbie Hancock, Apocalypse Now)
He also did an album of Holst's The Planets, on a polyphonic Emu modular(?). I :love: that album unfortunately some high school friend I loaned it to never gave it back! :mad: I got a vinyl copy off of Ebay a few years ago but I don't think it ever made it onto CD???

jules
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jules » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:35 am

You should start a campaign like these guys:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Anyone-Can-Play-Guitar

Funding wise, that would be a good portion of the fine people hanging around here.
Dieter: "who needs all this??!!??"
tak poo-poom

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:45 pm

Yes we are about to announce a Kickstarter campaign for the film.
jules wrote:You should start a campaign like these guys:

http://www.indiegogo.com/Anyone-Can-Play-Guitar

Funding wise, that would be a good portion of the fine people hanging around here.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:59 pm

chrisso wrote:If you're filming people at NAMM (good idea) you should book a nice hotel room now (ahead of time) and set up your filming rig there.
The floor is crazy with sooo many people and so much noise.
Good tip - thanks for that!

chrisso wrote:I read the rest of this thread a few weeks ago and can't remember all the names mentioned, but just in case, some slightly less obvious names: Pat Gleeson - (solo, Herbie Hancock, Apocalypse Now), Roger Powell - (solo, Utopia, early Moog salesman), Malcolm Cecil - (Tonto).
to re-quote myself:

"Please, no suggestions for people to talk to... unless you have direct contact information for me. I know that Trent Reznor is in LA, I know that Richie Hawtin is in Berlin, I know that Radiohead is in the UK, etc etc. We live in the same city as Deadmau5 & we haven't even managed to make direct contact with him (yet)... These people are difficult to get into contact with and have very busy schedules! Direct contact info is really the only useful information to pass on to me."

People have to understand that the list of people we could & perhaps should talk to, in order to create *THE DEFINITIVE MODULAR DOC* could go on and on and on, so it's often going to depend on who we can easily get in touch with, through direct leads. That being said, I know that Robert tried to set up a meeting with Malcolm Cecil during both of his NYC visits, and was unable to make it happen.

Personally, I think we should be concentrating more on what is happening now, the resurgence of modulars, than on telling the origins and history of it. Some history is required in order to tell that story, but anyone who's interested in the early history of modular synthesizers should be well aware that there are already a # of films and books covering that.

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:08 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:Yes we are about to announce a Kickstarter campaign for the film.
Bueno...I'll likely kick in.

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:12 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:Personally, I think we should be concentrating more on what is happening now, the resurgence of modulars, than on telling the origins and history of it. Some history is required in order to tell that story, but anyone who's interested in the early history of modular synthesizers should be well aware that there are already a # of films and books covering that.
Agreed! :tu: Sorry for all the name dropping . . it is easy to get caught up in it! :oops:

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:37 pm

JohnLRice wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:Personally, I think we should be concentrating more on what is happening now, the resurgence of modulars, than on telling the origins and history of it. Some history is required in order to tell that story, but anyone who's interested in the early history of modular synthesizers should be well aware that there are already a # of films and books covering that.
Agreed! :tu: Sorry for all the name dropping . . it is easy to get caught up in it! :oops:
Cool thanks for understanding. And for your enthusiasm I hereby offer thee 1 dancing bacon + 3 heavy metal bananas

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:40 pm

BTW we have a new name for the film:

"I Dream Of Wires - A Modular Synthesizer documentary"

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:55 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Cool thanks for understanding. And for your enthusiasm I hereby offer thee 1 dancing bacon + 3 heavy metal bananas
:despair: :cry:

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:11 pm

JohnLRice wrote::despair: :cry:
Sorry let me try to explain that a little better:

:bacon: :nana: :nana: :nana:

JohnLRice

Post by JohnLRice » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:05 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:
JohnLRice wrote::despair: :cry:
Sorry let me try to explain that a little better:

:bacon: :nana: :nana: :nana:
:party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper: :party: :hail: :goo: :sb: :nana: :yay: :guinness: :hyper:

lag
Learning to Wiggle

Post by lag » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:58 pm

:hihi:

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Mr. Numan would be proud.
s o l v e n t wrote:BTW we have a new name for the film:

"I Dream Of Wires - A Modular Synthesizer documentary"

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:51 pm

I've started a new thread for this, on account of the name change and some announcements:

http://muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 320#587320

LektroiD
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LektroiD » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Looking forward to seeing this too. What an awesome idea for a documentary!

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”