MODULAR: The Documentary

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

miditerranean
Veteran Wiggler

Post by miditerranean » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:30 pm

richard wrote:looks great, didn't Schneider's make a movie too? I haven't seen it though
Yep, "Totally Wired" is a pretty good documentary but I have a feeling this new one with be way better!

rayce
Veteran Wiggler

Post by rayce » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:05 pm

I'm looking forward to this. Neat to be able to put faces to a bunch of names.

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Hoping this will be a bit more of a rounded effort than Totally Wired, which was good but felt like it could have benefited from either a wider scope or deeper focus.

yipe
Common Wiggler

Post by yipe » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Where can a fella catch totally wired on the web? Also, kids need shoes now? My modular doesn't even have shoes yet! Priorities people!
Sell me your q107

sunsinger
Watcher of the Skies

Post by sunsinger » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:49 pm

Have'nt seen the doc yet, but Winkle's story made me weep.
My wife completely supports, and is impressed with my modular, and the music I make with it. Something must be wrong with her! :lol:
She even likes my monitors.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:12 pm

I"m not sure what question was asked of the interviewees, but very little of it was of any interest to me. Bruce Duncan had some relevant things to say. Not much else was really very interesting.

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

yipe wrote:Where can a fella catch totally wired on the web?
http://www.realeyz.tv/en/niamh-guckian- ... t1319.html

Also, some of the interview segments are up on YouTube.

kraku
Common Wiggler

Post by kraku » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:57 pm

richard wrote:looks great, didn't Schneider's make a movie too? I haven't seen it though
You can watch the documentary online here:
http://www.realeyz.tv/en/niamh-guckian- ... t1319.html

I can hardly wait this new documentary to be released though :) (the one this whole thread is all about)

EDIT:
Whoops! Seems like essex sound lab beat me to it...

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:07 pm

i'll pay big money for a one on one drew vs. nelson sit down vid, Charlie Rose style...

CursedFrogurt
Square Enthusiast

Post by CursedFrogurt » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Chuck E. Jesus wrote:i'll pay big money for a one on one drew vs. nelson sit down vid, Charlie Rose style...
Don't you mean Nelson and Milton sit down vid . . . oh I'm sorry, almost sit down vid.

sydilaxe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sydilaxe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:37 am

What? No Peter Grenader?

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:10 am

sydilaxe wrote:What? No Peter Grenader?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

rlainhart
R.I.P.

Post by rlainhart » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:40 pm

By the way, the latest estimate from one of the co-producers is for a Spring 2012 release.

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:40 pm

drewtoothpaste wrote:I don't watch synthesizer documentaries, I just collect them and store them in my house.
I thought that was a strange way to end the “trailer” too. One of the major questions the film-makers felt needed to be answered on this documentary, is whether or not there might be some people out there who buy a modular system and don’t use it? I suspect this isn’t very common. There might be a lot of people who aren’t making a living with their modular but I kind of doubt there are many people that buy a new modular as home décor. In my opinion it kind of set a negative tone that is purely speculative and more to the point, not particularly interesting even if it were true. I’m sure I’ll watch this but I hope this isn’t indicative of the depth of the documentary.

burdij
Veteran Wiggler

Post by burdij » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Rod Serling Fan Club wrote: There might be a lot of people who aren’t making a living with their modular but I kind of doubt there are many people that buy a new modular as home décor.
I certainly use mine as home décor. Just recently I bought two Q106s and made lamps out of them.

rlainhart
R.I.P.

Post by rlainhart » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:05 pm

And yet, the world is full of people who've bought $50K grand pianos and essentially use them as furniture. There probably aren't that many individuals who set up modulars in their living rooms to impress the neighbors, but I'll bet there are any number of pro studios that have modulars that don't get used much and are more for show, and touring artists who have modulars on stage that don't get used much either.

There's no question that there's a renewed interest these days in modular systems, and at least some of that interest is in the modular as an object rather than as an instrument.

Rod Serling Fan Club wrote: I thought that was a strange way to end the “trailer” too. One of the major questions the film-makers felt needed to be answered on this documentary, is whether or not there might be some people out there who buy a modular system and don’t use it? I suspect this isn’t very common. There might be a lot of people who aren’t making a living with their modular but I kind of doubt there are many people that buy a new modular as home décor.

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:56 pm

rlainhart wrote:And yet, the world is full of people who've bought $50K grand pianos and essentially use them as furniture. There probably aren't that many individuals who set up modulars in their living rooms to impress the neighbors, but I'll bet there are any number of pro studios that have modulars that don't get used much and are more for show, and touring artists who have modulars on stage that don't get used much either.

There's no question that there's a renewed interest these days in modular systems, and at least some of that interest is in the modular as an object rather than as an instrument.
I’ll try to better articulate the point I was trying to make.

It is a bit of a “why not” point of interest. Sure, having the most interesting discussion on that particular subject in the film is relevant. It is particularly relevant if there is something anecdotal to back it up. Asking everyone to speculate on the point and then include all of it in the documentary seems redundant and kind of a shallow, negative viewpoint. Putting that much about that single subject it in a trailer makes one think that this is actually a fundamental part of the documentary. It could be a false impression on my part.

Monobass
thonk.co.uk

Post by Monobass » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm not really sure what your point it.

What you've picked up on won't deter anyone from watching the film who would have done so anyway. It's an unashamed 'preaching to the converted' piece.

rlainhart
R.I.P.

Post by rlainhart » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Of course I have no idea what percentage of modular owners don't use them. I'd like to think it's fairly low, but it's not something for which you'd be able to get accurate survey results - who's going to admit to that. But we all know people who own instruments of all kinds who don't use them - electric guitars being a prime example. I suspect most of those folks, if asked, would say they play them more than they really do.

And that's not even addressing the question of the collectors - someone apparently bought an original Moog multiple unit for $500: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130539151440 It seems unlikely to me that someone who'd pay that for a multiple you could build yourself in five minutes is ever going to actually "use" it. Analog Heaven is full of guys like this, who're more concerned about the serial number or rarity of a piece of hardware than what it actually sounds like.

(As someone in the film points out, though, if you have money, there are many worse things in this world you could spend it on than musical instruments.)

But the film is only half-shot, if that, and could take a completely different direction when it's done. We can only wait and see. My impression, though, is that it's directed towards a general public, most of whom have no idea why someone would buy and use a modular in the first place, and who would presumably like to understand why. The collection or exhibition rather than the use of these instruments is certainly a factor, and one that should be addressed in such a discussion. Like you, I'll be disappointed if that's the only focus.

Rod Serling Fan Club wrote:It is a bit of a “why not” point of interest. Sure, having the most interesting discussion on that particular subject in the film is relevant. It is particularly relevant if there is something anecdotal to back it up. Asking everyone to speculate on the point and then include all of it in the documentary seems redundant and kind of a shallow, negative viewpoint. Putting that much about that single subject it in a trailer makes one think that this is actually a fundamental part of the documentary. It could be a false impression on my part.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:59 pm

there are also people who buy modulars and dont know how to use them. not exactly the same thing as buying it and not using it but almost the same thing. people collect anything and modulars are no exception. but I think that many people who collect them are optimistic about learning how to use it or having time to do so.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:24 pm

I'm really not trying to flog a dead horse here. I hope this documentary is great. It is probably just a mashup of interview footage so far rather than an actual trailer and I probably shouldn’t think too deeply into it. I guess my main point is, that there is only so much you can fit in a normal length documentary. I think there is lots of very interesting subject matter to cover so I hope they do.

Chuck E. Jesus
holier than thou

Post by Chuck E. Jesus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:06 pm

EATyourGUITAR wrote:there are also people who buy modulars and dont know how to use them. not exactly the same thing as buying it and not using it but almost the same thing.
i had to buy a guitar before i could learn how to play it...

Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla

Post by Peake » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:13 pm

I know I'm getting old because I don't recognize half of the folks in the trailer :hihi:
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

poppinger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by poppinger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:25 pm

CursedFrogurt wrote:Don't you mean Nelson and Milton sit down vid . . . oh I'm sorry, almost sit down vid.
:lol:

CF3
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CF3 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:51 pm

rlainhart wrote:And yet, the world is full of people who've bought $50K grand pianos and essentially use them as furniture. There probably aren't that many individuals who set up modulars in their living rooms to impress the neighbors, but I'll bet there are any number of pro studios that have modulars that don't get used much and are more for show, and touring artists who have modulars on stage that don't get used much either.
Go to any university. I'll bet you find a dusty Moog or Serge modular sitting in a basement rotting. I know of two right now.

BTW... Awesome Trailer! :nana:

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”