I Dream Of Wires: The Modular Synthesizer Documentary

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

beautyofdecay_
no maps for this area

Post by beautyofdecay_ » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:20 am

Great idea!

So far, I like what I see in the trailer.
Although it's great to see the different setups of people the most interesting part you address is, I think, what attracts people to modulars. The viewpoint of the designer and the viewpoint of the user of the instrument.
It gives more depth to the documentary.

Great stuff.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:30 pm

vav wrote:Donated. Do we get thanked in the credits?
Thanks for the generous contribution - appreciated!

To answer your question: No - for a couple of reasons:
(1) it doesn't give people much incentive to contribute for one of those $1500+ Executive Producer credits, if you get more or less the same thing by contributing $25. BTW, I understand that some people may find that option kind of crazy, but it's something that I found all similar campaigns offered, and some people seem to like the option. In fact, we got a hit on it already!
(2) we didn't mention that on the IndieGoGo campaign page, and for all I know, some people may not want their name in the credits. I don't want to risk invading someone's privacy that didn't want their name published, and I don't want to take the time to check with every contributor individually.

Jason

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Good luck with it

I know it is an excuse but i have no job and am traveling the world on a thin budget otherwise i'd happily chip in. I hope you reach your goal.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:12 pm

Hi,

Looking for some ideas/suggestions -- I've posted, or seen other people post, about the film & IndieGoGo campaign, on the following blogs/forums:

- Muff Wiggler (!)
- Matrixsynth
- Gearslutz
- Synthtopia (which turned into a rather nasty debate!)
- Electro-Music
- Analogue Heaven email list

I think that's it... Does anyone have any suggestions for synth-related, or even electronic music-related, sites that I could contact about spreading the word? The contributions ($5700+ in 8 days - awesome!) have been really directly related to how active the subject has been in forums like this.

We've been getting some awesome interviews lined up in Europe (Dieter Doepfer just confirmed!) but honestly I don't think we should make any definite plans in Europe until we're further along in the funding.

I also wanted to mention that it sounds like we may have got our first 'famous' musician on board... And by 'famous' I mean, famous outside of electronic music nerd circles! Really happy about this, as it'll really broaden the appeal of the film! (My lips are sealed about who it is, for now)

thanks

Jason

Jim's computer beats
Cajun Style Styrofoam

Post by Jim's computer beats » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Maybe try Peter Kirn from Create Digital Music (they cover analog too!)? And Trash Audio?

Rod Serling Fan Club
aquatic hitchhiker

Post by Rod Serling Fan Club » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Sometimes retrothing covers synth stuff.

vav
Beer Master

Post by vav » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:16 pm

email Keyboard mag/EM? I dont think Gino Robair writes for those guys anymore, but he posts here...
Vactrols are the electronic equivalent of being drunk. -decaying.sine

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:44 am

thanks for these suggestions!

Veqtor
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Veqtor » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:42 am

You really should cover more of europe, like cwejman

Also, you should get some video synth graphics and some nice AE titles etc

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:20 am

Veqtor wrote:You really should cover more of europe, like cwejman

Also, you should get some video synth graphics and some nice AE titles etc
People making "You really should" comments - please keep our situation in mind. Not that anyone should be expected to contribute on account of having an opinion, but understand that we are a small, independent production, so what "should" be done and what can be done are going to be dependent on how our IndieGoGo campaign pans out. Please give this a read:

http://www.indiegogo.com/I-Dream-of-Wires

Specifically, the "What We Need & What You Get" section.

And also this FAQ:

Q: If you don’t raise the $30K what happens to the project and the investors?

A: It will still get made and people will get the package that they paid for. It just means that we won’t likely be able to afford to do things like go to Germany &/or the UK. There is already enough footage for an interesting doc, and after our West Coast trip, including NAMM 2012, there is no doubt that we will have more than enough footage for a great doc. But it would be a shame to limit it to the North American scene/perspective.

Meat Parade
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓&

Post by Meat Parade » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:57 am

:sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb: :sb:

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Please interview Rex Probe of STS (Serge)!!!!!

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:42 pm

s o l v e n t wrote: - Synthtopia (which turned into a rather nasty debate!)
Oh? I didn't see anything about it on Synthtopia's forum.
Was it deleted?

Also: saw the Gearslutz "discussion". Isn't Gearslutz a warm and welcoming place?..... :razz:

drewtoothpaste

Post by drewtoothpaste » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:17 pm

There is sooooo much modular stuff going on in the US and Canada that it would be a waste of money to travel overseas considering that "Totally Wired" was all about Doepfer, Cwejman, Macbeth, Schneiders & the European modular scene.

No need to cover the same material when you can hit up dozens of manufacturers without even opening up your passport.

emergencyofstate
Synthesist

Post by emergencyofstate » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:47 pm

If it's not already been suggested (if you guys make it to the UK) Tom Bugs would be highly recommended.

But--if I bring my bugbrand system to NAMM this year will you guys take footage of it?? :hihi: 8_) :yay:

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:24 pm

That film was about the shop. Even if you were to think of it as a film about the European modular scene, IMO our director, Robert, is taking a much more personal, less technical, approach to his interviews, and you can see the contrast when you compare the 2 trailers. I'm not worried about overlap, and we are aiming to make a film that is a comprehensive exploration of the resurgence of modulars, so there is no question in our minds that people like Doepfer need to be covered. We'll get some EU people that weren't in Totally Wired as well.

drewtoothpaste wrote:There is sooooo much modular stuff going on in the US and Canada that it would be a waste of money to travel overseas considering that "Totally Wired" was all about Doepfer, Cwejman, Macbeth, Schneiders & the European modular scene.

No need to cover the same material when you can hit up dozens of manufacturers without even opening up your passport.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:36 pm

metasonix wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote: - Synthtopia (which turned into a rather nasty debate!)
Oh? I didn't see anything about it on Synthtopia's forum.
Was it deleted?

Also: saw the Gearslutz "discussion". Isn't Gearslutz a warm and welcoming place?..... :razz:
that Gearslutz comment, coming from a teenager obviously, was *nothing* compared to the utter nastiness of this one guy over at Synthopia... I'm almost embarrassed to even point out this link, considering how much I let this guy get to me - I'm honestly still blown away by how cynical this guy's comments were (you have to unhide his first comment for any of the rest to make sense):

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/ ... cumentary/

haricots
Droppin' Loads

Post by haricots » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:40 pm

drewtoothpaste wrote:There is sooooo much modular stuff going on in the US and Canada that it would be a waste of money to travel overseas considering that "Totally Wired" was all about Doepfer, Cwejman, Macbeth, Schneiders & the European modular scene.

I couldn't agree more. By that I mean I wouldn't be let down if you covered just the NA scene. I'll be sure to donate shortly. :sb:

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:52 pm

Wow that synthfan is a douchebag. What a dick. I for one think what your doing is great for the community, the manufacturers, and the users. No matter what you do there will always be haters, synthfan is obviously one. I def plan on contributing once I have a little more cash. As far as things I'd like to see, I'd love to see interviews with some of the newer players on the scene...Malekko, make noise, harvestman, metasonix,Pittsburgh, intellijel, moon, stg, etc etc Some of these may be in there already

I'm really looking forward to this and commend you guys on work!
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Newer players may not have been the correct term, maybe new wave is better?
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:55 pm

haricots wrote:

I couldn't agree more. By that I mean I wouldn't be let down if you covered just the NA scene. I'll be sure to donate shortly. :sb:
Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, of course, but for everyone of you guys, who think that we could or should concentrate on North America, there's two (or three, or four,...) other people saying the exact opposite.

I'm sure that it'll be a great film even if we don't get enough funding to make it to Europe, but IMO it will be so much better and more comprehensive if we do; so we will be somewhat disappointed if that's what it comes down to. But our enthusiasm and commitment to the project will be the same either way.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:59 pm

rico loverde wrote:Wow that synthfan is a douchebag. What a dick. I for one think what your doing is great for the community, the manufacturers, and the users. No matter what you do there will always be haters, synthfan is obviously one. I def plan on contributing once I have a little more cash. As far as things I'd like to see, I'd love to see interviews with some of the newer players on the scene...Malekko, make noise, harvestman, metasonix,Pittsburgh, intellijel, moon, stg, etc etc Some of these may be in there already

I'm really looking forward to this and commend you guys on work!
Cool thanks so much... many of those people are confirmed or semi-confirmed, and I expect we'll end up talking to some of the others that we hadn't arranged to talk to, if & when we meet them at NAMM.

Dirk95100
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Dirk95100 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:04 am

You should also talk to Rob Hordijk.

computer controlled
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by computer controlled » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:01 am

Have you talked to Zoog from Angelspit? He's in NYC, and LOVES his Modular =o]
Stuff: SH-01A . TR-8S . MX-1 . D-20 . Waldorf MicroQ . Ensoniq EPS 16+ . Yamaha MODX6 . Yamaha DX7 . MPC Live . Avalon BassLine . Behringer Neutron . Behringer MS-101 . Behringer Pro-1 . Behringer K-2 . Behringer TD-3 . E-Mu Emax . E-Mu Emax II . BeatStep Pro . Keystep .

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:17 am

Hi solvent!

Congrats on this it is VERY exciting! Please dont ignore an entire continent even if you have to do telephone/skype interviews! Thats the reason Ive not seen the Schneiders film - its not a modular doc, its a love story apparently... well that and my streaming is crap! :hihi:

Quick question please (sorry if this is explained elsewhere) -
I'd like as much footage as possible so Id like the Dvd-R set. Can you explain please if its the original film and then dvd-rs of the interviews? Id also like to pick-up the soundtrack/t-shirt etc but Im poor atm. Is this our only chance to get these things or will they still be available in the future?

Good luck & thanks for doing this!

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”