I Dream Of Wires: The Modular Synthesizer Documentary

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:48 am

mckenic wrote:Hi solvent!

Congrats on this it is VERY exciting! Please dont ignore an entire continent even if you have to do telephone/skype interviews! Thats the reason Ive not seen the Schneiders film - its not a modular doc, its a love story apparently... well that and my streaming is crap! :hihi:
I don't really think of it as a modular doc either. I also feel like it has zero appeal outside of synth/music nerds, whereas I feel that somehow Robert's approach has a broader appeal - without dumbing things down for the synth nerds of course.
mckenic wrote:Quick question please (sorry if this is explained elsewhere) -
I'd like as much footage as possible so Id like the Dvd-R set. Can you explain please if its the original film and then dvd-rs of the interviews? Id also like to pick-up the soundtrack/t-shirt etc but Im poor atm. Is this our only chance to get these things or will they still be available in the future?
If there is enough demand for things like Tshirts, soundtrack LPs, etc, these things will remain available/in-print as long as there is demand. Same applies to the commercial DVD as well, of course.

Every interview so far has been 1-2 hours long, and I'm sure there will be a whole lot more like that. So we're going to end up with a tonne of extra footage. Not just interviews either - also some in-studio performances/jam-sessions. Some of it will be edited into extended segments, to be used as DVD extras, &/or for YouTube etc. To give you a preview of what to expect with those, Robert is currently putting together an extended Morton Subotnick interview piece - expect that in the near future.

So what the DVD-R-boxset is going to have on it is all of these DVD/YouTube extra segments, maybe 1 or 2 other exclusive segments, plus loads of completely unedited footage, basically complete interviews & in-studio performances. I'm imagining it will contain 8 to 10 DVD-Rs. The DVD-R-boxsets will only be available through this pre-order, and are definitely limited to 50 copies.

Low-Gain
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Low-Gain » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:07 am

Jason where you guys going to be able to sit down with Jack Dangers? Or Robert Rich?

They'd be really great for a film like this.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:27 am

Jack Dangers crossed my mind but I haven't been in touch. We are going to SF though so if he is still there I will. Where does Robert Rich live?

Low-Gain wrote:Jason where you guys going to be able to sit down with Jack Dangers? Or Robert Rich?

They'd be really great for a film like this.

spinach_pizza
knobs . . . knobs . . . KNOBS!

Post by spinach_pizza » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:50 am

s o l v e n t wrote:Jack Dangers crossed my mind but I haven't been in touch. We are going to SF though so if he is still there I will. Where does Robert Rich live?

Mountain View, California, I believe. He is pretty easy to get a hold of:

http://robertrich.com/contact/

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:08 pm

s o l v e n t wrote: I don't really think of it as a modular doc either. I also feel like it has zero appeal outside of synth/music nerds.
Agreed. The more it appealed to 'synth nerds' the less appeal it would have to the casual observer = less income to repay film costs.
To even contemplate bypassing Europe and concentrating on North America would be tragic. :doh:
Even as a semi synth nerd myself, I think the key to synthesis is the player/programmer. So the makers are fun to talk to, but the actual pro users are key.
Just my 0.2c

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:54 pm

spinach_pizza wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:Jack Dangers crossed my mind but I haven't been in touch. We are going to SF though so if he is still there I will. Where does Robert Rich live?

Mountain View, California, I believe. He is pretty easy to get a hold of:

http://robertrich.com/contact/
Robert is such an awesome guy. So friendly and helpful.
works for Darkplace Manufacturing

clarke68
Making DIY modulars look cool since 2011

Post by clarke68 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:13 am

s o l v e n t wrote:Jack Dangers crossed my mind but I haven't been in touch. We are going to SF though so if he is still there I will.
Awesome! Any idea when you'll be out? If we organized a meet the weekend you were in town, would you come (and bring your camera crew)? :hyper:

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:08 am

clarke68 wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:Jack Dangers crossed my mind but I haven't been in touch. We are going to SF though so if he is still there I will.
Awesome! Any idea when you'll be out? If we organized a meet the weekend you were in town, would you come (and bring your camera crew)? :hyper:
I could get the Gilman space again, it's in Berkeley though

ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ignatius » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:35 am

man the internet.. wtf.. is full of idiots.

Solvent, don't let morons dishearten you. i think your fundraiser campaign is pretty transparent and it's obvious that some people just don't understand what is involved in making a film or undertaking any project where professional results are the goal.

so, good luck with it all and i hope you guys don't get into too many 'pulling out the hair' situations :) :tu:

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:09 am

rico loverde wrote:
clarke68 wrote:
Yes I think I PMd you about maybe setting 1 of these up while we were in town, didn't I Rico? It would be around NAMM - I'll let you know soon.

Gilman - are we talking about the legendary punk venue?!

mamonu
90s ambient miscreant!!

Post by mamonu » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:51 am

very exciting ... (donated a small amount...)

would love to see content from Europe... but even if not... no problem....

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:41 am

Robert is making a return visit to NYC Nov 4-8. He is mostly booked up but if anyone has any leads for a key interview, please PM me. We'd love to get James Murphy or Malcolm Cecil, for example.

rico loverde
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by rico loverde » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:49 am

s o l v e n t wrote:
rico loverde wrote:
clarke68 wrote:
Yes I think I PMd you about maybe setting 1 of these up while we were in town, didn't I Rico? It would be around NAMM - I'll let you know soon.

Gilman - are we talking about the legendary punk venue?!
I don't remember a pm, yea it's the punk club we have had one meet there so far and they r very open to more...

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:21 am

rico loverde wrote:I don't remember a pm, yea it's the punk club we have had one meet there so far and they r very open to more...
I just recently finished a book about Bay Area Punk called "Gimme Something Better" and about 1/3 of it was centered around the scene at that club. I really like the idea of it being there!

clarke68

Post by clarke68 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:59 am

s o l v e n t wrote:I really like the idea of it being there!
Same here! I bet we'd get a pretty good turnout, too, if people knew you were coming out. :tu:

sixtyten
Common Wiggler

Post by sixtyten » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:38 am

I've just recently rekindled my interest in modulars and a friend recommended this forum. Noticed this post, piqued my interest as I'm always up for a well done documentary. Jason/Solvent being involved makes it even more rad! The trailer looks awesome! I just donated. If I wasn't 6$ away from being a poor man I would have donated a lot more. It's more like a pre-order anyway as I would have bought all the schwag anyway. Good luck.

jules
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jules » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:53 am

ABout the negative comments on the other forums:
I tough that kind of things was highly unlikely to happen considering the target audience. You have to sometimes wonder how we managed to so often reach the nearly statistically improbable when it comes human behaviour.

Leave all these haploids behind, and steer that boat!
And for the rest of us, let's row to paypal. Come on!
Dieter: "who needs all this??!!??"
tak poo-poom

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:37 am

Thanks for the kind words guys...

Rico and the rest of the Bay Area modular guys... I'm going to get back to you soon with dates that we will be in town. I don't want to attempt to nail anything down until I know exactly when we will be there... Once I've got that sorted, then we can try to set this meeting up.

clarke68

Post by clarke68 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:40 am

Just donated...I hope that helps make the CA trip happen!

Bolaman
Common Wiggler

I Dream Of Wires

Post by Bolaman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi Jason,
Darrell here (Bola)
Just joined the Wiggler and discovered you're IDOW thread.
It sounds fantastic man! I'm really intrigued about it and I'm sure all the guys at SKAM etc will be also....... I'll make sure to spread the good word.

I personally have only really been involved with modular since I began my self imposed absence from making Bola albums, but I must admit to it being a great distraction, if not a revelation :zombie:
I'm quite sure you could teach me an awful lot about the finer points of patchmania :hmm:

All the best and keep it up,

Darrell

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi Darrell...

:hail: Bola ! :hail: SKAM !

If we make it to the UK for some interviews, I will be in touch... It would be great to meet you again.

Jason

Bolaman
Common Wiggler

I Dream Of Wires

Post by Bolaman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:39 am

Hi Jason,
Crikey I don't know if I deserve that kind of Emoticon

If you know if you're going to get over to the UK, let me know beforehand and we can try and get stuff arranged, be great to meet up with you again!

Darrell

pabloawad
1-Post Wiggler

Post by pabloawad » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:45 pm

When will be released in dvd?

The trailer looks cool!

drip.feed
Roll it off at 30 Hz

Post by drip.feed » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:48 pm

pabloawad wrote:When will be released in dvd?

The trailer looks cool!
Yeah, any news on the production timetable?
Dripfeed

Fidgit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Fidgit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:10 am

pabloawad wrote:When will be released in dvd?

The trailer looks cool!
http://idreamofwires.org/

FAQ

Q: When will the film be released?
A: We are aiming to conclude filming before summer 2012, with a fall/winter 2012 ETA for the completed film.

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”