You should really talk to Ken Macbeth!

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

User avatar
s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

You should really talk to Ken Macbeth!

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Here is something that baffles me, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it for me:

Over the course of talking to people about this "I Dream of Wires" documentary, there has been a constant stream of people suggesting who we should interview for it. And guess who has been requested the most, by a long shot? Ken Macbeth!

Why?!

Don't get me wrong - his stuff seems great (I even spent a couple of months with a borrowed M5 and got some great stuff out of) and we are more than happy to talk to him. In fact, we have confirmed that he will be @ NAMM 2012, and that we will in fact be interviewing him for the film.

But I just don't get why Ken Macbeth has been suggested so many times, more than anyone else, especially considering the fact that he has only recently started producing fully modular gear.

...?

Jason

User avatar
bar|none
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1578
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: Undertucky, WA

Post by bar|none » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:05 pm

Well, is the movie forward looking or backward looking or both?

User avatar
s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:07 pm

bar|none wrote:Well, is the movie forward looking or backward looking or both?
both, but mostly forward ... and what has this to do with Ken Macbeth?

MN3005

Re: You should really talk to Ken Macbeth!

Post by MN3005 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:11 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:considering the fact that he has only recently started producing fully modular gear.

...?

Jason
Ken has been doing modular synthesizers (or at least semi) for at least 5 years...but you interviewed Andrew Kilpatrick who has been only doing modulars for about 8 months.

User avatar
tIB
Stainer!
Posts: 9324
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:28 am
Location: UK

Post by tIB » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Id imagine it's because he's something of a character. He'd bring charisma, enthusiasm and knowledge... seems like a likely candidate.

Ken MacBeth
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:54 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Post by Ken MacBeth » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:30 pm

....cripes!!

Well....I just read that! Has to be said- I've actually been doing Macbeth Studio Systems commercially for over ten years now! The M3X was the first one out in 2001.............and before that I was building the custom gear for folks!...........I'm pleased by this request though.........and looking forward to Winter NAMM'12! :hihi:

User avatar
bar|none
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1578
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: Undertucky, WA

Post by bar|none » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:33 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:
bar|none wrote:Well, is the movie forward looking or backward looking or both?
both, but mostly forward ... and what has this to do with Ken Macbeth?
You said he only recently started making true Modulars, but he is definitely one of the bright stars that are bringing new amazing poducts to market in the modular space.

That, and I don't think that semi-modulars should be considered lesser than a modulars anyhoo.

Ken MacBeth
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:54 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Post by Ken MacBeth » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 pm

:doh: ....I get it! Pure Modulars!!

User avatar
Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4231
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 am
Location: Town

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Could this just come down to synth nerds name dropping a slightly obscure name for cred? No offense to Ken at all, but the name is more obscure than Bob Moog or Don Buchla obviously. And you know those synth nerds, always trying to sound like they know a guy who knows a guy.
JensenJohn.bandcamp.com

User avatar
s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: You should really talk to Ken Macbeth!

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Dr. Synth Nerd wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote:considering the fact that he has only recently started producing fully modular gear.

...?

Jason
Ken has been doing modular synthesizers (or at least semi) for at least 5 years...but you interviewed Andrew Kilpatrick who has been only doing modulars for about 8 months.
Just to clarify - I am not doubting Ken's relevance as an interview subject - we're thrilled that we've got him on board! I'm just baffled about the fact that his name comes up so much more than any other... he's been requested more times than Don Buchla, Trent Reznor, Serge Tcherepnin and Hans Zimmer combined... kinda crazy no?

Hi Ken!

User avatar
s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:48 pm

I hope everyone knows that my original post is all in good fun, and no one thinks it is meant to be in any way against Ken Macbeth. As soon as I score my first gold record I will stuff my Eurorack cases with Macbeth VCOs & VCFs. I am genuinely curious about this phenomena though!

User avatar
Johnisfaster
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4231
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 am
Location: Town

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:52 pm

s o l v e n t wrote:I hope everyone knows that my original post is all in good fun, and no one thinks it is meant to be in any way against Ken Macbeth.
Then why did you say "fuck that guy, he makes smelly poop modules." We all saw it.

You used to be cool Solvent...

:mrgreen:
JensenJohn.bandcamp.com

User avatar
chinard
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2416
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Post by chinard » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:02 pm

they still MAKE gold records?!?

User avatar
s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:You used to be cool Solvent...

:mrgreen:
Well that was before I started getting gold records.

User avatar
LoveBot
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 735
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:47 pm

Post by LoveBot » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:25 pm

General enthusiasm, passion for circuits and components, aesthetic philosophy, and the stellar vintage tones that his modules produce... The way he talks about mylar and his groovy rockstar demos... A personality full of enthusiasm and joy for synths!

User avatar
dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:34 pm
Location: NorCal
Contact:

Post by dogoftears » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Make sure he talks about haggus.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

User avatar
bar|none
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1578
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm
Location: Undertucky, WA

Post by bar|none » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:48 pm

Well have you seen the new video? I've got Macbeth on the brain too.

[video][/video]

User avatar
essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres
Posts: 2431
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 11:07 pm
Location: Boston, Mass

Post by essex sound lab » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:51 pm

LoveBot wrote:General enthusiasm, passion for circuits and components, aesthetic philosophy, and the stellar vintage tones that his modules produce... The way he talks about mylar and his groovy rockstar demos... A personality full of enthusiasm and joy for synths!
Bingo! This is what I wanted to express, but you came up with much better words than I had for it.

User avatar
ignatius
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 15540
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: oregon
Contact:

Post by ignatius » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:11 pm

he's passionate as hell. makes really awesome stuff. he's been making synths of one kind or another for a very long time. so, he'll have a long view on synths in general.

he seems like a really nice guy and would be fun to talk to.. i imagine.

polyroy
Ambient Wiggler
Posts: 3823
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:01 pm

Post by polyroy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Yeah, Ken seems like a top bloke who's interesting to speak to and makes phenomenal pieces of gear. M5N is just :hail:

User avatar
Peake
I'm in ur DIY. Filling cases with Buchla
Posts: 7172
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:00 pm
Location: Loss Angeles

Post by Peake » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:10 pm

I say make him pay to be in your film.

(ducks, covers, scuttles away like Zoidberg) ;)
This is not the place I'd imagined it to be.

User avatar
Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor
Posts: 4526
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:53 pm
Location: Milky Way

Post by Christopher Winkels » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:23 pm

I've never had more than a couple of short Facebook exchanges with Ken, but he would get my personal recommendation for interviews if for no other reason than the man seems to be the Hardest Working Guy In Synths these days.

If you blink he's announced two new projects in that interval. And I'm hard pressed to find many people who say bad things about them.

User avatar
attacksustain
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 986
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:40 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Post by attacksustain » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Ken rocks some excellent karaoke skills too.

User avatar
s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:41 pm

well as I said, Ken's already confirmed to be interviewed for the film... Not surprised in the least that people would want him covered, just find it strange that he's gotten so many more requests than legends and superstars like Don Buchla and Trent Reznor... I'm guessing that he's surprised by this fact too!

User avatar
s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1010
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:44 pm

Peake wrote:I say make him pay to be in your film.

(ducks, covers, scuttles away like Zoidberg) ;)
Good idea - we accept both Haggis and Ale so I'm sure that we'll be able to reach some sort of an agreement

Post Reply

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”