You should really talk to Ken Macbeth!

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

kidtesla
sucker for filters

Post by kidtesla » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:30 pm

I went to high school with Ken's sister.

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:29 pm

Just FYI: if I were to kill a six of Heineken every 2 hours, I'd end up in the hospital.

So, either Ken is Superman, or I suck. Or mebbe both. :tu:

iVardensphere
Wiggling with Experience

Post by iVardensphere » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:54 am

chinard wrote:they still MAKE gold records?!?
You can torrent a gold plated mp3 these days. No need to go out and get your own. :confused:

LektroiD
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LektroiD » Sun May 27, 2012 12:13 am

Ken is a legend, it would be criminal not to include him in this documentary.

He lives local to me, and he's a really interesting guy to talk to. He's probably got more synth related stories than all of us here put together.

On a personal level, he is also an extremely generous guy; he gave me my first light box and some photo-resist boards so I could start etching my own PCBs, which I am eternally grateful for.

Like many others here, I really hope he gets included in this documentary, it would be incomplete without him.

Orbit
Learning to Wiggle

Re: You should really talk to Ken Macbeth!

Post by Orbit » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:26 pm

bwhittington wrote:
s o l v e n t wrote: And guess who has been requested the most, by a long shot? Ken Macbeth!
You clearly need to watch more Macbeth videos! Cigs and screwdrivers for the win:
:yay:

monokit
Common Wiggler

Re: You should really talk to Ken Macbeth!

Post by monokit » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:09 am

s o l v e n t wrote:Here is something that baffles me, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it for me:

Over the course of talking to people about this "I Dream of Wires" documentary, there has been a constant stream of people suggesting who we should interview for it. And guess who has been requested the most, by a long shot? Ken Macbeth!

Why?!
1.) He´s a fucking cool guy.
2.) He´s a fucking genius.
3.) He knows about synths and modular synths more than anybody else, than e.g. the new eurorack guys like Kilpatrick. His M5 is hell of a semi modular synth and just because for that he MUST be in the documentary.

LoveBot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by LoveBot » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Did Ken make it into the doc? Sure hope so!

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:18 am

LoveBot wrote:Did Ken make it into the doc? Sure hope so!
No, he didn't show up for his scheduled interview. He chose to skip out on the interview, from what I was told.

LoveBot
Veteran Wiggler

Post by LoveBot » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:46 pm

wow that's a bummer! I wonder why.... too bad!

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:09 pm

LoveBot wrote:wow that's a bummer! I wonder why.... too bad!
Yeah we were bummed - it would've been a great interview, no doubt!

Mock3000
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Mock3000 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:38 am

My guess is that this thread killed any spontaneity that may have occurred. Ease up on the backhanders next time. ..

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:40 pm

Mock3000 wrote:My guess is that this thread killed any spontaneity that may have occurred. Ease up on the backhanders next time. ..
Not sure what this means, but if you want to know why the interview didn't go down, rather than guess, you should ask him yourself. It was going to be a joint interview with Scott from The Harvestman BTW, which would have been amazingly interesting, I think. Scott did show up, so it all worked out, even if it's disappointing that we didn't get to interview Ken.

thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thesnow » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:56 pm

So no Richter, no Rex, no Buchla and no Macbeth :waah:

polyroy
Ambient Wiggler

Post by polyroy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:18 pm

thesnow wrote:So no Richter, no Rex, no Buchla and no Macbeth :waah:
Nah, just a plethora of other awesome designers and musicians. I can't wait for the DVD now, going to be utterly brilliant.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:53 pm

The tone of this thread, the idea/excitement/support and general joy for this movie are all so positive - hopefully it stays that way!

Shame it couldnt be hooked up with Ken! Oh well!!!

:tu: to Ken and IDOW!

abstraktor

Post by abstraktor » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Mock3000 wrote:My guess is that this thread killed any spontaneity that may have occurred. Ease up on the backhanders next time. ..
Personally, I've no idea what this is meant to mean.

Ken MacBeth
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Ken MacBeth » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Well guys- to put you in the picture, at the time of the IDOW interviews- I wasn't having the best time in my personal life! A relationship that ended left me feeling somewhat flattened!.............I just didn't feel in anyway at all ready to be put in front of the camera! That being said and done- I did suggest to Robert, that if they were in the UK/EU- they'd be welcome here........I also suspect a lot of footage had been done at that point...my face is still available! Ken

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:08 pm

Ken MacBeth wrote:Well guys- to put you in the picture, at the time of the IDOW interviews- I wasn't having the best time in my personal life! A relationship that ended left me feeling somewhat flattened!.............I just didn't feel in anyway at all ready to be put in front of the camera! That being said and done- I did suggest to Robert, that if they were in the UK/EU- they'd be welcome here........I also suspect a lot of footage had been done at that point...my face is still available! Ken
Thanks for setting the record straight Ken. It's really too bad that it didn't work out, but it's totally understandable that you wouldn't want to be on camera during that time. IDOW is done filming, but if all goes according to plan, this won't be our last film in the world of synths and modulars, so let's hope we can find a reason to get you in front of our camera in the future!

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:12 pm

And just to add - we did consider visiting you during our overseas visit, but it just wasn't feasible financially. We spent literally every penny we had earned from IndieGoGo to finance that trip, and traveling to London + Berlin + Doepfer HQ was all that we could afford to do.

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”