I Dream Of Wires' West Coast interviews complete !

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:37 am

chrisso wrote:I'd pay good money to see a Rex Probe interview.
Listen, I totally agree that a trip to interview Rex Probe & Grant Richter would be very worthwhile... That being said, our finances are being directed/saved towards covering a short trip to Europe. Just as some of you are saying that the film can't be "right" if Grant Richter is not interviewed, so will there be many many people who will criticize us endlessly if we don't make it to Europe to interview Schneider, Doepfer, etc.

ANYWAY, here is what I am going to suggest: Since a few of you have suggested that you would be interested in contributing $ to the cause, specifically towards facilitating an interview w/Grant & Rex, why don't you rally the troops and get enough people to contribute $ to the film to cover our expenses for that trip?

I'm guessing the trip would cost us about $1200 to make. So you'd need to get about 50 people to contribute $25 (which also gets you a copy of the DVD). So basically you would need to get $1200 donated towards the project, in the name of a Grant/Rex interview.

If this is something that you really want to pursue, please PM me and we will figure out how to coordinate it. Before any of this happens, I would need to confirm that Rex is available/willing to do an interview, because taking the time out of our schedules to travel to Wisconsin needs to net us at least 2 significant interviews.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:41 am

BTW - updated with photos of all of our NAMM interviewees:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 310&type=1

LA / SF / Berkeley synth meet / Vancouver interviewee photos forthcoming...

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:18 am

That is a GREAT idea solvent! I'd happily donate to that trip if it goes ahead!

Did I hear a whisper of Europe? :yay: That makes me so happy! I hope you have a good time over here mate!

jbartee
special stage

Post by jbartee » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:30 am

I'd definitely donate towards this as well. Let's make it happen!

splitpoint
Common Wiggler

Post by splitpoint » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:17 am

I'd donate toward an interview with Grant.
"Hi. My name is Splitpoint and I'm a samplerholic."

vav
Beer Master

Post by vav » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:05 pm

I cant remember how much i originally donated...i think it was $125, but i'd toss in another $25 to get Grant in there.
Vactrols are the electronic equivalent of being drunk. -decaying.sine

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:29 am

I haven't received any PMs about this, so it doesn't appear that anyone is willing to rally the troops in order to make these interviews happen.

I have a $25 pledge from vav, and an expressed willingness to contribute some $ from HueMonContact, chrisso, jbartee, splitpoint.

If you 4 guys, and/or anyone else, wishes to contribute $ towards making this happen, send me a PM to let me know how much $ you would be willing to commit to. Keep in mind that it's not just a donation - you get stuff based on the amount of $ you contribute:

http://www.indiegogo.com/I-Dream-of-Wires-film

If it is just you 5 guys who are actually willing to contribute $ towards this, I think it is probably unlikely that we are going to hit $1200. Then again, chrisso you said you would be willing to pay "good money" towards this, so maybe I'm wrong. Note: if your sole motivation for contributing is to help make the Richter/Probe interviews happen, I would suggest that you hold off contributing directly to IndieGoGo until we have determined that there are enough of you for this to work.

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:41 am

Hey, Im up for $25 too - happy to PM you Solvent or anyone else that would organize this!!!

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:45 am

Cool thanks... so that's $50... if anyone else wants to contribute towards this, please PM me with the $amount.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Contributed.

HueMonContact
VoltageCtrlR

Post by HueMonContact » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:09 am

@Solvent I sent you a PM you can put me down for $25 for the interview
I'll donate more to the indiegogo fundraiser also.
Sound:
http://soundcloud.com/voltagectrlr
http://voltagectrlr.bandcamp.com
Game of Life Label Release: Inner Siddhi Portal
http://gameoflife.bandcamp.com/album/vo ... dhi-portal
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blog:
http://shirovoltagectrlr.tumblr.com/
http://groundloup.wordpress.com/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Video:
http://vimeo.com/voltagectrlr

ultrashock
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ultrashock » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:17 am

I'm trying to follow the whole process of movie making withing this subforum, but just a quick question: whether you had the interview with Mr. Buchla?

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:19 pm

ultrashock wrote:I'm trying to follow the whole process of movie making withing this subforum, but just a quick question: whether you had the interview with Mr. Buchla?
It has been proving difficult to get this interview nailed down. We had high hopes of interviewing him in Berkeley (in fact, it was practically the entire reason we planned the trip to SF) but it didn't work out. However he has told us that he is willing to give us an interview -- so hopefully it will work out. We are willing to go to great lengths to make it happen.

Perhaps of interest - we did go to Mills College where the first ever Buchla is still being used by students. Ramon Sender and Bill Maginnis met us there for a joint interview about the early days of the SF Tape Music Centre & Don Buchla's work there. Ramon also brought in a very early passive ring modulator unit that Buchla built for him -- you can actually read about this exact ring modulator in the Analog Days book.

mechie
Wiggling with Experience

A broader scope?

Post by mechie » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:51 am

s o l v e n t wrote:
chrisso wrote:I'd pay good money to see a Rex Probe interview.
... That being said, our finances are being directed/saved towards covering a short trip to Europe.
I appreciate the dilemma here, there are important people who may or may not get interviewed.
I do think that Europe/UK (Asia? Austalia? OK, just Euro) would add width to the story and would prefer 'Otherland' interviews to 'All-of-America' if it's a choice!
Maybe a couple of the UK manufacturers could be interviewed in Cambridge this July 21st and 22nd (Synth DIY UK meeting).
http://synth.net/m/events/view/Synth-DI ... 20-22-July

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: A broader scope?

Post by s o l v e n t » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:53 pm

mechie wrote:I appreciate the dilemma here, there are important people who may or may not get interviewed.
I do think that Europe/UK (Asia? Austalia? OK, just Euro) would add width to the story and would prefer 'Otherland' interviews to 'All-of-America' if it's a choice!
I agree that it is most important to get some outside-of-North-America perspective in this film.
mechie wrote:Maybe a couple of the UK manufacturers could be interviewed in Cambridge this July 21st and 22nd (Synth DIY UK meeting).
http://synth.net/m/events/view/Synth-DI ... 20-22-July
July is probably too late for us - we're aiming to conclude filming before the summer - but just in case things change: Which manufacturers will be there?

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:42 am

UK and Europe would be more important for artists/exponents, less for manufacturers IMHO.
Of course Doepfer was really responsible for the beginnings of an explosion in modular systems we're witnessing now.

Luka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Luka » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:45 am

Why do you need to fly to another country to do an interview. We live in a time of high speed video conferencing. The modulations documentary had interviews with Autechre done in this way and that was released a long time ago - also didn't harm the visual experience of the show.

mechie
Wiggling with Experience

Escype route please?

Post by mechie » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:46 am

Luka wrote:video conferencing
Done this subject...
s o l v e n t wrote:...by limiting ourselves to people that we interview in person, not only do we maintain a high quality and consistent look to the film, we also keep things semi-reasonable (100+ hours of interview footage that we have could easily double, triple or more if we talked to everyone); the goal is to actually make a film out of all of this!
Seems logical to me :hide:

ultrashock
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ultrashock » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:52 am

finally, almost all important european manufactures were already covered in 'Totally Wired' by Niamh Guckian Ahern - I believe this movie was also one of the inspirations for IDOW

Tombola
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tombola » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:20 am

Looks like you're doing an awesome job - don't let the back seat producers get you down!

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:54 pm

ultrashock wrote:finally, almost all important european manufactures were already covered in 'Totally Wired' by Niamh Guckian Ahern - I believe this movie was also one of the inspirations for IDOW
We were aware of it, yes, but it wasn't an inspiration to be honest. The fact that certain people were covered in that film doesn't make it any less important to cover them in our film, IMO; that film is about Schenider's Beuro and really has no appeal outside of the synth-nerd & maybe techno niche, whereas we are aiming for something more than that.

s o l v e n t
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by s o l v e n t » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:59 pm

For the record, I do note the similarities in the title, on more than one level -- the title was my idea and honestly I totally forgot about Totally Wired when I came up with it. Regardless, I feel like I Dream Of Wires is really the perfect title for this film, as it is about people with an all-consuming passion for patching; I have literally dreamed of wires as I'm sure just about all of us have!

mckenic
pew!pew!pew!kthnxbye!

Post by mckenic » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:11 pm

I certainly plan to reference some stuff from the movie for my Uni course :hihi:

Im dreaming in Serge for some reason for the past few months!

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”