Announcement: IDOW Hardcore Edition DVD/BluRay repress

Discussions and information relating to the upcoming Modular Synthesizer Documentary.

Moderators: Kent, scribble744, s o l v e n t

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Talking of the benefit of the movie and the modular community. I see that on a popular pirate site the Hardcore Edition was uploaded by someone on the 20th of August.
Nice......not. :deadbanana:

BadBadger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BadBadger » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:27 pm

My disappointment stems from the fact that I bought the DVD and Blu-ray Hardcore Editions, not to watch, but purely as an investment. Knowing that there were a limited number of copies of HE, I've been watching the market and waiting for the best time to sell. I figured that if I timed it right, I would be able to get $400-500 apiece for them. With the release of additional copies, my dream for an early retirement has been shattered. :roll:

[Sarcasm Off]

I'm new here on Muff's. So far, I've seen nothing but comraderie throughout the forum—whether it be helpful discussions about hardware, hunts for scam artists ripping off Wigglers, collective disgust with a famous synth musician's litigious actions, or sick/hilarious pictures and videos. This is a fun group and I'm very pleased to be here.

But some of the attitudes in this particular thread are disgusting. If you feel like you've been fucked, ripped off, lied to, or even mildly deceived, get your refund, get a life, and go back to the AOL forums of yore where your (or your parents') Internet presence was spawned. If you had any guts, you would voice your disappointment by PMing the producer privately, rather than showing your ungrateful ass here in public. It is unseemly.

I have to go. I'm getting ready to watch IDOW: HE for the second time in a week. Something I'm quite happy that many additional folks will have the chance to do, soon.

BadBadger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BadBadger » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:46 pm

Oh, and to whatever pirate posted IDOW on Usenet or some torrent site; Fuck :monkey: You and the stolen VSTs you rode in on!

climbingtyler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by climbingtyler » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:59 pm

For anyone who is completely butthurt about the re-pressing of IDOW HE and is upset that is wasn't hand-numbered, I am more than willing to hand-number mine for you and send it your way.

Seriously, who cares? If you just bought this movie because it was limited then go fuck yourself. People like you are driving this community to the ground. I just recently joins this community, but seeing pricks complaining about this are not contributing members of this community (or society for that matter). Go collect cars or something else if you want something truly limited...

It's a god-damn DVD, not some goose egg encrusted with diamonds and gold. Get over yourself.

This movie was made to show how amazing this community is, but this thread is quite the opposite of that...

Come one people!
Lets get positive here!

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:39 pm

I've got to say, much of the discussion about this here astonishes me. I've been enjoying my HE blu-ray. Of course the documentary and the people who made it are not beyond criticism. Is anything? But I love what they have done, and admire that they initiated such a project and pulled it off so well.

As for the whole "limited edition" idea, I never wasted a thought on it for a single moment. I donated because I thought "I really need to see this! It has to happen!", and I never noticed nor cared about how many of them were being pressed. My only other consideration was that I was (and still am) disappointed that I was not able to get the DVDR boxset. Again, because I can't get enough of the content, and really want to experience it. I would have just as willingly sent the money for a download of a 1080p file of the thing.

To be fair, I am of the sort of personality that I really dislike "collector culture for its own sake". Most of what I have are limited editions by necessity, because the stuff is really obscure when it doesn't need to be. Artists want their work to be experienced, and it can be tough when people are told that the interest/money/distribution is not there. And when the "colllectible" $30 item is circulating for hundreds of dollars, how much more money does the artist get from these sales? Do they pay for their food with "street cred"? IMO this kind of attitude works more in favor of consumers than artists.

Anyway, like with books, any newly printed IDOW discs will of course have their own print date, which differs from the previous printing. It might not be obvious how to distinguish them, but I am sure there is a way, for those who are concerned about this.

And what about the theatrical release? What if nobody screens it? Would we feel better that we funded a great documentary which nobody besides those who funded it got to see? IMO that is kind of a twisted outlook. If people don't get to see it one way, they get to see it another way. I think it's great that the creators have control over their own distribution, this is as it it should be. You can promise to make a movie, but you can't promise to get it shown! At least there is demand to see it, which I think is great.

haricots
Droppin' Loads

Post by haricots » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:40 pm

you whiny little fucks. way to destroy the community.

I've enjoyed every minute of IDOW thus far. Thanks to the both of you!!!

HeWhoWantsJeans
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by HeWhoWantsJeans » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:53 pm

BadBadger wrote:My disappointment stems from the fact that I bought the DVD and Blu-ray Hardcore Editions, not to watch, but purely as an investment. Knowing that there were a limited number of copies of HE, I've been watching the market and waiting for the best time to sell. I figured that if I timed it right, I would be able to get $400-500 apiece for them. With the release of additional copies, my dream for an early retirement has been shattered. :roll:

[Sarcasm Off]
:lol: - you had me going for a minute. :hihi:

Seriously - anyone upset that your disc-based media is not longer a 'flippable item' aught to re-evaluate themselves. IDOW couldn't have gotten off the ground (or as far as I had), without your support. That is awesome. Instead of being upset that your copy may not have been numbered (ie: scribbled upon) or made rare by enforced quantity control, you should be damned proud.

Also, given how much 'cash money' I threw at this project, I believe I can bring some perspective to this conversation from a position of "oh shit - my 'Rare As Hens Teeth' goods!". As the fellow that bryan_b mentioned earlier (I believe, though I am in the boat he mentioned), my only concern was in the weird box-set (and I thank Jason for addressing the status of that - also, I'll have to dig through my dreaded Spam folder). Even for the money I threw at IDOW, I wouldn't be upset if they even re-pressed the interview set. I didn't invest into IDOW so I could wait a year and flip it for post-discontinuation QMMG prices.

I invested into IDOW because I wanted to help get the project moving. I am flabbergasted to see how Jason has now decided to take a leave of absence from Muffs as a direct response to this thread. The behavior of some of the involved is truly appalling.

Our community is pretty damned small. To conduct yourselves in such abrasive and poisonous ways, you've managed to urinate in our trough.
I've archived over 400 answering machines, and the best of which is constantly updated on Tumblr. Public domain! Enjoy! Donate, too!
http://answerphone.tumblr.com/

chrisdurftal
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisdurftal » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:13 am

q: how do you know a plane full of modular synth enthusiasts has landed?
a: the engines are off but the whining continues.

CJ Miller
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by CJ Miller » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:25 am

Da crickets sure do smell pretty in Jeptembuary...

noobyscooby
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noobyscooby » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:49 am

It's not surprising. But a bit disappointing. Yet totally understood.

We helped make the movie, the movie got made. It was important that it got made to a lot of people. I enjoyed watching it. Limited wasn't limited and that's on them but they're clearly willing to own it and live with it. Whatever reason led them to repress it I hope will be worth it and that they sell a bunch of copies and push the movie into new places. To expect that there would be no uproar about this is being naive. The users of this site are clearly concerned about their collectibles.

Packaging changes or edits to a subsequent hardcore version, some kind of difference that often happens with record represses and has been suggested by others, would probably make it too expensive to bother doing the new press in the first place. Maybe the postcards could be left out or the letter? Something to make it clear to a collector what is the initial version and what is the repress. Maybe the pressing plant has different discs they could use.

But its probably just time to move on. I'm excited to see how the theatrical cut looks. What stayed in, what didn't, how does it flow? Will it be more compelling? That's what I care about.

I have it lent out to a friend that's made dozens of documentaries but knows nothing about modulars. I look forward to his opinion. When I get it back I'll be selling it as it's the kind of thing I only need to see once. I never watch things over and over again.

dougt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dougt » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:38 am

Maybe a couple lessons can be learned from this whole thing...

Mistake #1 is making something unavailable for people to purchase. This will always lead to people resorting to piracy if there's no other way see it.

Mistake #2 was then after the pirated version has been out there to panic and make the same so-called limited edition available again and pissing off some of the original investors by not giving them something special that was promised...

Kingnimrod
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kingnimrod » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:51 am

1. Assholes will pirate anything regardless of availability. It's why bands can't sell music anymore. There's no excuse for it.

2. No one would be complaining if the quality of the documentary wasn't outstanding.

I think people should be more forgiving, as opposed to crowd funding where the recipients take off with the money and produce nothing.

I agree that they will have a more difficult time raising funds based on promising special rewards, but they have proven that they can make a good documentary now, so in the end it's less about what goodies people get for pitching in.

To be honest, I hate kickstarter and similar crowd funding things. In general I think less of the people who do them. IDOW is the one exception for me so far, and it was the extended interviews on Vimeo that made me order. In other words - advance proof of the quality of the product.

But, trying to take a look at the big picture, all of this gnashing of teeth over $40 just makes the complainers look small. This is the most negative I've seen this message board become, and I hope it passes. Really guys - this isn't like some situation where someone took your money and disappeared.

In the future, if they are going to do something like this again, I recommend that they put big disclaimers everywhere noting that plans may "evolve."

Clearwave
Common Wiggler

Post by Clearwave » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:02 am

Wouldn't mind a copy of this but i get a strange message when visiting their website..."page ok"

Clearwave
Common Wiggler

Post by Clearwave » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:03 am

Wouldn't mind a copy of this but i get a strange message when visiting their website..."page ok"

Clearwave
Common Wiggler

Clearwave
Common Wiggler

Clearwave
Common Wiggler

Clearwave
Common Wiggler

Clearwave
Common Wiggler

wavefold
sonic lad

Post by wavefold » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:53 am

I can't believe what I just read... If I was one of the backers of the project I would be utterly happy to see that the project I supported can now reach more people! Try to see this as a way to expand the "gospel" of modulars, to make other people understand what a great world of passion, community and music is behind the modular synthesizers world. Personally I don't care if my HE is "limited edition" or not as long as I own a physical copy of the most epic documentary in the human history! we're musicians first, then collectors. :razz:
Wavefold Racing Team

SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/wavefold

Heathfinnie

Post by Heathfinnie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:40 am

I as a initial supporter see it both ways. I'm happy to have it available to more people, but wish the producers had thought more in their initial funding. Like the film or not, collectivism or not, they offered something they did not deliver on. I personally don't care, but I also don't like being deceived.

I like the film and do not wish to return it, but I still have every right to have a slightly negative feeling towards the lack of thought and reneging on their original offer.

Final thing I don't understand though, solvent says the demand wouldn't be there to redo the cover for the 2nd press, but also says he has over 50 emails a day for a repress? Isn't that a good enough demand to make it a little different?

microfauna
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by microfauna » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:14 am

Heathfinnie wrote:but wish the producers had thought more in their initial funding.

but I also don't like being deceived.
As you stated you do see both sides, but the above two comments seem a little contradictory. Lack of thought implies that the makers didn't consider carefully enough when giving the terms of delivery whereas being deceived implies that they intended or were open to the possibility of repressing the DVDs given the opportunity.

If the makers were sincere in there original offer of exclusive DVDs isn't pressure from wiggler demand an acceptable reason to repress?

Heathfinnie

Post by Heathfinnie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:23 am

They aren't contradictory. I do feel deceived in that I was offered (however you feel about ltd editions) a hand numbered ltd edition and this would be my ONLY chance to get that. I didn't receive either. It wasn't numbered, wasn't limited. Again, not a comment on the importance I placed on those traits, but it was what was offered none the less.

When I say fire thought, what were they going to do if it was a success? Just say initially, "we may repress if there is a demand" or something. Just think of what you would do in various situations. Don't make promises if you don't care to keep them.

Again, I am happy others will see it, just wish they didn't leave a bad taste in so many people who initially supported them. It does send a negative message.

KnobHell
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KnobHell » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:36 am

This video applies to this thread, if you are clever enough to pick it up. :hihi:

[video][/video]
Misspelling: brought to you by autocorrect.

The KnobHell Website

KnobHell Soundcloud

KnobHell Youtube Channel

microfauna
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by microfauna » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:41 am

Heathfinnie wrote: Again, I am happy others will see it, just wish they didn't leave a bad taste in so many people who initially supported them. It does send a negative message.
Just curious.
If one were to say that the elements of limited edition and numbered copies account for 1% of the content of the IDOW promises made, if 99% was delivered why are some people so upset? I really don't understand this. I would only feel this way if there had been some great intentional deception.

Return to “I Dream Of Wires”