Alyseum MS-812

Discussion and support for Alyseum products.

Moderators: Kent, AlyseumSupport

taniel
Common Wiggler

Post by taniel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:18 am

Got an answer:
"Well, the Mac version of this firmware upgrade application is under test. It
would be available very soon from the Alyseum web site. Keep watching this
thread to be notified."

EDITED:
Mac version is available. Here is a link to the download page where the
updates can be found.
http://www.alyseum.com/download.php?PHP ... cf21ebcef9

bj_gzp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bj_gzp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 am

I use the MS812 to synchronize my modular to midi clock, and that works quite well. However i find the clock options quite limited and i have to pass the impulses through other clock dividers.

Features i would like to see:
- Higher division values, currently only up to 1/4 note is possible.
- More division values between the notes
- A real-time modifier to change the clock division for a gate out.

Cheers,
Björn

AlyseumSupport
Common Wiggler

Post by AlyseumSupport » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:01 am

bj_gzp wrote:Features i would like to see:
- Higher division values, currently only up to 1/4 note is possible.
- More division values between the notes
- A real-time modifier to change the clock division for a gate out.
The upcoming firmware upgrade will include part of these requests.
Thank you for your feedback.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:50 pm

The proxy plug-in is welcome. Just downloading it, haven't tried it yet.
Overall, all i want to do is control synths via cv and gate from DAWs like Ableton and Logic.
My controller is a basic Roland via USB. All my midi is done in the DAW. I've given up using midi hardware because of the timing errors and jitter.
I don't need all the extras that come with Expert Sleepers - LFO's, Envelopes, Triggers and Clocks. Just accurate timing.
Interested in the MS-812 for sure.
More basic videos and tutorials on it's use with popular daws would help.
these videos are numerous from Expert Sleepers and Innerclock (offering similar hardware).

taniel
Common Wiggler

Post by taniel » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:17 am

chrisso wrote: More basic videos and tutorials on it's use with popular daws would help.
I also think that more videos on the possibilities and the use of the MS-812
would help new costumers getting started with the module.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:52 pm

They don't seem to drop into Muff very often do they?

AlyseumSupport
Common Wiggler

Videos

Post by AlyseumSupport » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:24 am

We're waiting for the release of CopperLan's 1.1 package to move forward with the videos.
There will be new features to demonstrate in relation with the MS-812, so that shooting the videos right now would be a waste of time.
Thank you for your patience.
We'll keep you informed as things unfold.

chrisso
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by chrisso » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Good stuff. Thanks.

Junk Rhythm
Big Bottom Shaker

Post by Junk Rhythm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:13 pm

AlyseumSupport wrote:
miminashi wrote: What's the jitter and latency like on that sucker? I have an ES-3 which I love for a number of reasons, not least of which is its total lack of jitter. I've been eying Alyseum's MIDI interfaces to use as a reliable MIDI clock output, and I figure that if the jitter is low on the CV interface the performance is probably similar on their MIDI devices.
Here are some actual measurements regarding the latency of the MS-812.

Setup
Fully hardware setup (no computer involved).
Copperduino dev board generating a clock signal
MS-812 issuing the clock pulse on Digi1 output.
Direct Ethernet connection between the two boards.

Results
The rising edge of the green pulse is when the message is created on the sender. (the duration does not reflect the entire sending time !)
The rising edge of the yellow pulse is the actual signal on the MS-812's jack.
The scale is 100uSec/div.

Explanation
The transmission time on the network is just a few uSec. Hey, it's 100Mbit !
It means that around half of the total time is about creating and routing the message, and the other half about receiving it.
So once the message is electrically out on the sender side it takes around 350uSec to become a pulse on the MS-812 output.

The jitter is under the 100uSec and, in this setup, could depend on the sender.

Of course, when the sender is a quad-core computer at 3GHz instead of an 80MHz processor as in these hardware boards, the timings melt like snow in the sun 8_)
Between two high-end computers with Gigabit Ethernet we can exchange above 50,000 CopperLan messages per second. That averages to one message every 20uSec from application to application.

MIDI via CopperLan
The timings for AL-22 and AL-88 are similar to those of the MS-812 since they are based on a similar processing model.
In the small pic you can see an AL-22 as the receiver.

Hope you'll like the results.

Andy

Any chance of seeing this same test but using a computer instead of the full hardware setup?

AlyseumSupport
Common Wiggler

Post by AlyseumSupport » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:10 am

Junk Rhythm wrote: Any chance of seeing this same test but using a computer instead of the full hardware setup?
Timing measurement is between two events: one when the signal is emitted at the source and the other when the result is available at the destination.
This imply to have a trigger signal on the sender's side; some pulse that tells the beginning of the measurement.
A computer doesn't offer such triggering to start the measure; this is why a hardware sender is used.

mo2L
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mo2L » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:31 pm

AlyseumSupport

hi there! i need help! i cannot send gates feom my numerology to copperlan/alyseum ms-812!

im dying to use it!

thanks!

AlyseumSupport
Common Wiggler

Post by AlyseumSupport » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Copy from an answer to the same question elsewhere:
Actually you can do that in different ways. But if you want just to control the MS-812 Drum section, I suggest using MIDI over CopperLan.
I assume that you can use the CopperLan Manager to edit MS-812 parameters and establish connections, do you?

1) Configure your MS-812 in drum mode. You can choose Drum mode individually for each Digi Jack, or else, the easiest way: select [Drums] preset from the Settings section.

2) Then in Numerology, drop a DrumSeq into the Stack, route its clock-in from the stack input clock and Midi Out to the stack output MIDI.
Numerology is labeling the notes from octave 0... so if the MS-812 is configured with a base note C4 (MS-812/Performance/Drum/Base Note) you have to configure Numerology to send C3. Don't forget to set non-zero velocity through the DrumSeq, otherwise no note will be sent.

3) in the Stack output, choose MIDI Out -> VMidi1

4) use the CopperLan Manager's Connect tab to establish a connection between "Midi on my_computer"/VMidi1/Ch1 and MS-12/Performance/Drum

5) click on the Numerology's Play button... That's it !

nofuture
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nofuture » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:31 pm

Hello,

Anyone here using the MS-812 with Ableton Live 9 ?

I'm searching a way to send LFO using the MS-812 Emulator
It seems that it works with the CC learning but I can't find the learn function with the Ms-812 Emulator is this normal ?

Could be really interesting with Ableton Push as Sequencer.

If you have some videos showing the MS-812 used with ableton it would be great, I didn't find any on youtube.

AlyseumSupport
Common Wiggler

Post by AlyseumSupport » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 am

nofuture wrote:Hello,
It seems that it works with the CC learning but I can't find the learn function with the Ms-812 Emulator is this normal ?
Using the CPManager:
  • * configure CV1 in mono mode 1
    * connect your app via VMIDI1/CH1 to MS-812/Mono1
    * send the modulation to VMIDI1
    * in performance/Mono1, activate the Learn Modifier A
    * tweak the Modifier A Gain and Offset as needed
Have fun. :bananaguitar:

moonkid
Common Wiggler

Post by moonkid » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:51 pm

Hey hey alyseum wigglers,
I'm interested in a clean and elegant solution for processing hi resolution audio from max/msp with my modular. I'm generally familiar with the expert sleepers stuff, but how does the ms-812 stack up to the competition in this regard? Is it suitable for audio rate? I'm specifically a little unclear on the sampling rate of the ms-812... any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :tu:

alyseum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alyseum » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:51 am

First, I have a doubt about your question, I confirm that MS- 812 is a computer interface (oriented Output) to control 8 high resolution CVout +12 DIG Out ( Gate or clk or pulse .. ) to control modular synth in Eurorack format, it makes no audio !

MS-812 is the best MIDI or CopperLan interface on the market ( it's the users who say that )
MS- 812 uses Ethernet connectivity for very low latency and jitter.
It included more than 200 parameters!

you can download freely an emulator version ( PC Emulator or MAC emulator) to discover and evaluate all the parameters that are implemented in firmware.

We also have the new MS -4 (oriented input ) which, together with the MS- 812 offers the best solution to interfacing a modular setup with any music computer programs or in stand alone for live or performance .

Best 8_)

PS: For people located in France, February 22, presentation of the MS-4 and MS-812 to Modular Square in Paris, videos will follow

moonkid
Common Wiggler

Post by moonkid » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi and thanks for your response! Sorry if I wasn't clear....

I understand the main intention of the ms-812, but I was trying to specifically ask what the range of the cv outputs are. Are they technically able/suitable to pass audio (like an audio stem) to a modular for processing, or for audiorate modulation?

alyseum
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alyseum » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:54 am

The MS-812 can be controlled in two mode: MIDI or CopperLan

1° In MIDI, it's necessary to think MIDI (low speed, 7 bits for CC, ...) impossible to make better!

2° In CopperLan or with the proxy for VST/AU, you enjoys of the speed of Ethernet connectivity with an extraordinary fineness in 16-bit resolution with thru 16 bits static D/A converter for each CV output (no sample and hold).
The MS-812 is not design to generate Audio stream, only CV or Digital signals.

Best 8_)

moonkid
Common Wiggler

Post by moonkid » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:39 am

Thanks!

Im on board and excited for my ms-812 order to arrive! :party:

moonkid
Common Wiggler

Post by moonkid » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:37 pm

anyone using the ms-812 with max6, or max5 for that matter?

I've tried the only two ways i know of to add externals to max

1. drag and drop/ copy and paste

or

2. put the external into the proper external folder in the max directory.

i.e. max6/Cycling '74/ Max Externals, and then when you create a new object it is visible to max

neither are working for max 5.1.9 or max6…

alyseum has been very responsive, but i just wanted to ask the community just in case someone has a quick fix… I'm itching to get started here.

mo2L
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mo2L » Tue May 10, 2016 5:20 am

hello!

hope you are fine : )

wanted to know if is possible to use the Digitals outputs from 9 to 12 as individual gates or triggers?

because i dont find a way to route them since there is just 8 channels available in the copperlan manager for inputs :despair:

thanks!

Seth Scott
1-Post Wiggler

MS-812/CopperLan and Max MSP

Post by Seth Scott » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:33 am

Hi all,

Has anyone worked out a way of outputting CV through the MS-812 at signal rate from Max/MSP (or any other programming environment)?!

I bought one in the hope that I could use it like an Expert Sleepers module (ES-3 out of stock everywhere in the UK) but I'm not having much luck.

Firstly the Alyseum max externals are windows only, but even so their help files show that they only take message input. I'm currently running the proxy AU inside [vst~], and the resolution is great, but again I'm stuck at message rate (~30Hz), so not great for generating smooth control signals :(

I'm completely new to CopperLan (and still don't entirely understand it) so am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

S

mo2L
Learning to Wiggle

MISSING MIDI PORT IN LOGIC PRO X

Post by mo2L » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:57 am

Hello!

Every time I open a Logic Pro X project I need to re-assign the VMidi on each channel and is very annoying.

I tried many midi setups on the program with no success.

Is there any setup that will prevent Logic to MISS the Vmidi ports from my MS-812?

Thanks.

(MISSING: VMidi 1)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 11.57.40 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 11.57.40 AM.png (51.22 KiB) Viewed 66 times
MISSING: VMidi 1
MISSING: VMidi 1
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 11.57.40 AM.png (51.22 KiB) Viewed 67 times

mo2L
Learning to Wiggle

DIGITAL OUTPUTS FROM 8 TO 12 WONT WORK AS MONO

Post by mo2L » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:05 am

Hi!

I want to know if there is a way to use the Digital outs from 8 to 12 as individual mono trigger/gate ?

I dont seem to find a way to do this and is very annoying to have this 4 outputs un-used.

As you can see in the screenshot the Digital outs from 8 to 12 are not listed. It goes until output 7.

Many thanks for your help, mo2L
Attachments
As you can see in the screenshot the Digital outs from 8 to 12 are not listed. It goes until output 7.
Screen Shot 2016-08-21 at 12.05.02 PM.png (44.89 KiB) Viewed 69 times

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:11 am

nofuture wrote:Hello,

Anyone here using the MS-812 with Ableton Live 9 ?

Could be really interesting with Ableton Push as Sequencer.

If you have some videos showing the MS-812 used with ableton it would be great, I didn't find any on youtube.

Has anyone worked out a way of outputting CV through the MS-812 at signal rate from Max/MSP (or any other programming environment)?!

I bought one in the hope that I could use it like an Expert Sleepers module (ES-3 out of stock everywhere in the UK) but I'm not having much luck.

Bump!

Anyone tried using Silent way to send LFO/env etc to MS812 CV out?

Return to “Alyseum ”