Module Modules are coming

Handmade synthesizer artifacts.

Moderators: Kent, zerosum

User avatar
Fidgit
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:28 am

Post by Fidgit » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:14 am

what he said.
and as i stated on the first page of this thread already:
Fidgit wrote:i just hope that the front panel design will be in line with all the other 200e stuff. i like the "unified", cleaned up design of all the 200e & verbos & cbm modules. :despair:

besides that: :tu:
Tobor wrote:Brian thank you for posting here the updates of your work.
While I find the sounds interesting I must admit I have some comments on the front panels.
The suggestion of Kent is right, ergonomics are very important, also I find the graphical layout too rough for the Buchla standard. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the work you do, but I wouldn't buy a module for my Buchla with such look. To fit well (just my own honest opinion) in the Buchla world a module must respect ergonomics and graphic layout of Don's modules.
Graphics are important as they are an essential part the user interface.
Chris' modules really respect Don's vision also in the graphical aspect, and that is one of the reasons that will bring me to buy one of his creations sooner or later.
I really don't want to sound harsh or start a futile flame here. I'm just telling my opinion as a Buchla user.

zerosum
Modulation Maniac
Posts: 3750
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:49 pm

Post by zerosum » Fri May 04, 2012 6:59 pm

I don't want to respond to the posts on the subject of aesthetics.
How much current does each one draw?
150 mA of +5 and 30 mA of +-15.
Have these been tested in fully loaded cases?
Working on that.

As for release dates, I have other things I would rather spend my time on at the moment.
I have put too much into this for it to not get released and available to others, but it's not my highest priority right now.

User avatar
weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5261
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Location: Germany

Post by weinglas » Sat May 05, 2012 3:58 am

Kent wrote:...Have these been tested in fully loaded cases?
Have two of them in a fully loaded 6 Space boat! Working great!
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

User avatar
weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 5261
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:16 pm
Location: Germany

Post by weinglas » Sat May 05, 2012 4:07 am

While the ZIMMs do not look like Buchla, Verbos or Eardrill modules, they look good in a Buchla! The only flashy difference is the structure of the aluminium, while the missing blue color and the engraved lettering is a nice complement to the Buchla design.

Pictures beside a 260e are in these two threads:

viewtopic.php?t=58826
viewtopic.php?t=58825
Fidgit wrote:what he said.
and as i stated on the first page of this thread already:
Fidgit wrote:i just hope that the front panel design will be in line with all the other 200e stuff. i like the "unified", cleaned up design of all the 200e & verbos & cbm modules. :despair:

besides that: :tu:
Tobor wrote:Brian thank you for posting here the updates of your work.
While I find the sounds interesting I must admit I have some comments on the front panels.
The suggestion of Kent is right, ergonomics are very important, also I find the graphical layout too rough for the Buchla standard. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the work you do, but I wouldn't buy a module for my Buchla with such look. To fit well (just my own honest opinion) in the Buchla world a module must respect ergonomics and graphic layout of Don's modules.
Graphics are important as they are an essential part the user interface.
Chris' modules really respect Don's vision also in the graphical aspect, and that is one of the reasons that will bring me to buy one of his creations sooner or later.
I really don't want to sound harsh or start a futile flame here. I'm just telling my opinion as a Buchla user.
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

mirarimusic
Common Wiggler
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:38 am
Location: LOS ANGELES CA from North Bergen NJ

Post by mirarimusic » Sun May 06, 2012 12:23 pm

hey there .. are these available for purchase??

very interesting stuff

zerosum
Modulation Maniac
Posts: 3750
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:49 pm

Post by zerosum » Mon May 07, 2012 5:06 pm

mirarimusic wrote:hey there .. are these available for purchase??

very interesting stuff
Thank you 8_)
They will be available for sale in the future, but right now my financial/time focus is getting more MU/dotcom format modules available for sale :party:

zerosum
Modulation Maniac
Posts: 3750
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:49 pm

Post by zerosum » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:17 am

I have been busy working on the modulemodule project.
I will have some more detailed information coming soon! 8_)

Image

Image

zerosum
Modulation Maniac
Posts: 3750
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:49 pm

Post by zerosum » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:45 am

ZIMM01 is now available
How many ZIMM02 tone sculptor/filter things should I make?
If your in Europe get in touch with Escape From Noise and let them know if they should order any.


I'm using Switchcraft 41 Tini-Jax, Apparently they are good enough for Buchla to use
I'm using 200e style knobs from Selco, the same knobs that Eardrill uses,
They look just like the same knobs on other 200e modules I have seen.
I'm using a Perkin Elmer/now Excelitas Vactrol for the CV.
All the component values are printed on the Circuitboard, maintenance shouldn't be difficult.
There is about 14mm clearance between the PCB and panel, service could be done without removing the panel.
I'm using 5654 pentodes from military surplus designed for military applications. Each tube is tested in a Hickok 533 tester, only the tubes that skyrocket the meter are set aside and considered for use,
then later meticulously tested in the circuit.

Image

I've done what I could to create what I consider to be a high quality handmade module with a neutral appearance and interesting sound.
If the game is more about aesthetics and less about the sounds,
then I am not interested in playing any further.
I got into this to create sound creation tools

User avatar
rayce
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 578
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:02 pm
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Post by rayce » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:35 pm

My guess is you'll have more interest in the ZIMM02 than the ZIMM01.

I am glad to see you make the effort to bring these designs to Buchla format.

Looking forward to getting the 01 and I'll definitely be ordering an 02 when they are ready to go as well.

User avatar
Lakbra
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:41 pm
Location: El Salvador

Post by Lakbra » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:50 pm

The sounds in this video are :yay: :deadbanana: :twisted: :headbang: :flamey:

The ending is :omg: :omg: :domodance::omg: :omg: :wookie: :bananallama::omg: :omg:

[video][/video]

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

:sb: :sb: :sb: :goo: :goo: :banana: :nana: modules Brian!!

zerosum
Modulation Maniac
Posts: 3750
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:49 pm

Post by zerosum » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:49 pm

My guess is you'll have more interest in the ZIMM02 than the ZIMM01.
The filter has been requested more than the VCA,
They are designed to work together, so it's hard to imagine them separated.
I think the VCA is "The One" with the most potential to appeal to a wide variety of users.
I am glad to see you make the effort to bring these designs to Buchla format.

Looking forward to getting the 01 and I'll definitely be ordering an 02 when they are ready to go as well.
Thank you. I appreciate your interest and look forward to hearing about your experiences you have with the modules.
Your 01 module purchase went towards furthering the progress of the ZIMM02.
Panels are on the way, when the modules are assembled I will set one aside for you.
Profit made on the 02 goes into funding the prototype process of an 03 and the cycle will continue.

I enjoy the process, but these modules have felt like a weight for the past few months because I won't stop feeling anxious until these are done,
I have other things I want to do, but if I don't finish the ideas that came in line first it will drive me nuts :doh:
I have lots planned, but I have wrap up the old ideas so that I can start new again with fresh ideas and apply the new to what I learned with the old.
I don't want to change what I have already been working on,
but I can investigate possibilities to make future modules more aesthetically pleasing if it will bring in more users.

User avatar
ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: new jersey

Post by ritchiedrums » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:52 am

:sb:

Post Reply

Return to “Zerosum Inertia”