Digital dictaphone as recorder - yay or nay?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Nicken85
Learning to Wiggle

Digital dictaphone as recorder - yay or nay?

Post by Nicken85 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:54 am

Hi!

I’m starting looking at a Sony icd-ux570 as a recorder for my music. It has a line in and some level controls. It can only record 16bit at 44.1 but that should be enough right? Or am I missing something else? The main reason I would like this is because it’s very slim but also have a rechargeable battery with 20h recording time and quick charge.

I have tried zoom h1 and like them but they’re so bulky and ugly. Also I don’t like swapping out batteries.

Thanks!

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Digital dictaphone as recorder - yay or nay?

Post by wiperactive » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:20 am

With most of my studio gear in storage I've occasionally used my Sony ICD-UX512 to make some basic ideas recordings from my makeshift rig with acceptable results. Make sure you disable menu options like LFC (Low frequency cut) or noise cut which tend to be somewhat hidden default settings at the service of clearer lecture/meetings type scenarios. Take care with input levels as well.

No good for when I'm properly set up but if you're simply wanting to capture a single pass musical event it's OK.

Nicken85
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nicken85 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:00 am

Thanks for your answer!

So for this setup I have a buchla easel running through the Korg nts-1 for effects so I want a recorder that’s on when I’m playing with good battery life that I can just press record on when I feel I got something nice going on. Doesn’t have to be in FLAC or anything. So I hope that this might be a good setup but getting a bit worried since I can’t see anyone on the internet using a dictaphone as a recorder. Should give decent results in my mind.

wiperactive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wiperactive » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:10 am

Nicken85 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:00 am
... getting a bit worried since I can’t see anyone on the internet using a dictaphone as a recorder. Should give decent results in my mind.
This thought occurred to me as well, but I can't see anything in these recorders that are significantly deficient on the sound quality front so long as the highest quality setting is chosen and the bells and whistle options are nullified. Sony usually get things right.

Nicken85
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nicken85 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:38 am

Yeah. I can’t find anything different but the recording quality (16 vs 24 bit and 44.1 vs 96khz) if you compare to a h1 for example. But maybe someone here on the forum will just laugh at this hehe.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:46 am

Do you have any Eurorack gear? If so there are a few small recorder modules that work really well with the high output levels of modular equipment. I suggest the 4ms WAV Recorder. 16bit at 44.1k and 24bit at 96k. Records to microSD cards and with larger 128GB cards you can literally record 2 weeks on them.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Nicken85
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nicken85 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:03 pm

Hey! I do but in that system I have a er-301 that I record my jams into. Works great! I’m using the easel as a stand-alone unit so I want a standalone recorder for that one as well. I’m planning on Velcro it to the lid and have that and the nts-1 already plugged in. So when I open the lid I can just power things on and go :)

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:20 pm

Nicken85 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:03 pm
Hey! I do but in that system I have a er-301 that I record my jams into. Works great! I’m using the easel as a stand-alone unit so I want a standalone recorder for that one as well. I’m planning on Velcro it to the lid and have that and the nts-1 already plugged in. So when I open the lid I can just power things on and go :)
The ER-301 is a bit of overkill for just recording use. The advantage of modules like the WAV Recorder is that they just do basically that one function, and do it well. They have no setup at all really. You can just put one at the end of your voice chain and either get in the habit of hitting the record button whenever you start, or you can make a DIY switch setup that starts recording when you turn the power on. Only 6HP too. Of course if you use an external mixer, an external recorder might be ergonomically better, and a portable one would allow field recordings too.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Nicken85
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nicken85 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:56 pm

Thanks buddy but I use it for other stuff as well :)
Last edited by Nicken85 on Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicken85
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nicken85 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:58 pm

I have it as a master mixer with effects on one stereo channel, a looper on channel 3 and a granular sampler on channel 4. Very happy with this setup

Nicken85
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Nicken85 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:06 am

For future reference it did not work out as planned :) it did not let through sound unless it was recording and the output level was quite low. Sending it back. Thanks for the responses

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:46 am

Keep an eye out for a cheap korg mr1- lots of them have battery issues now but they power well off usb powerbank. They are excellent recorders.

Return to “Production Techniques”