Can you hear the difference between audio interface A/D converters?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Can you hear the difference between audio interface A/D converters?

Post by Michael O. » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:24 pm

hsosdrum wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:11 pm
Michael O. wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:32 pm
+
It goes without saying that altering the source, or the mic and its position, will have a significant impact on the sound, but that’s not the question at hand and that fact does not preclude the fact that different converters do indeed impart (often subtle, yet entirely perceptible) coloration.
I was responding to a post where lionel was commenting that "I heard à différence when recording Trumpet into my RME UCX rather than into my old presonus ! But I changed my mic at the same Time too..."

When you change a mic and a piece of electronics at the same time and hear a difference, it goes without saying that the cause of almost all the sonic difference is the mic.
Ah yeah you’re totally right, I thought there was more mention of mic influence earlier on. Having said that, I’d wager he’d still hear a difference between the two units with all other variables accounted for, granted a significantly more subtle one.
Carrousel wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:35 pm
This is a fascinating thread. If nothing else, the huge range and difference of opinion should remind us of the inherently subjective nature of sound perception - more than other senses I would even argue because of the instant transient nature of sound (ie you can constantly stare at a painting, or stroke a textured object....but you can only replay a section of audio, momentarily sensing it, rather than continually sensing it).

This isn’t a helpful post, just me saying I love these kinds of threads.
It has been a while since my school days, but the generally accepted and best theory (at least at the time) is that all perception is of discrete snippets as opposed to a continuous flow of consciousness. In other words, our minds have no unmediated perception of external phenomena, be they visual, aural, or otherwise. Just as our memories are most correctly viewed as memories of memories rather than of experienced lived moments themselves, so to our seemingly immediate perception of the world is in fact mediated by our senses and our processing of the sensory input they provide. Which is probably majorly tangential and practically insignificant, but hey it seemed relevant at the time lol.

This thread has me wanting to post some measurements to better identify the objective differences between different converters, but it’s not exactly the easiest time to get hold of an Audio Precision machine in the covid-ravaged southern US.

Carrousel
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Carrousel » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Yeah senses are technically made up of discreet packets of information, like retinal nerve signals feeding the visual cortex, but those discreet packets come at you waaaaaay faster than spinning back a record, or even replaying a digital file :hihi:
Formerly 'Raven_Martin' on Muffwiggler
'And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music' - Nietzsche

https://carrouselmusic.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/carrousel_uk

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GrantB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:09 pm

I've found it very interesting to measure my audio interface loopback frequency response, phase, and distortion characteristics using REW (Room Eq WIzard, free to use)
Here is a series of videos which shows how to set it up:

This approach can not divorce the AD from the DA but is still relevant, particularly considering that what we hear in DAW recording has been through both.
I suggest running sweeps at various Sweep Level settings. There's a lot more to converters than the spec sheet "frequency response" and (averaged, weighted) THD numbers.

tom
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tom » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:48 pm

Your Motu is a very good converter.
It is one of the bests in the loop-back test on Gearsluts.
Different class than Edirol for example!

Burl has a different philosophy as it has input-transformers coloring the sound.

If you don't hear a significant difference between those two, you could upgrade your monitors ;)
There are monitors that let you hear the slightest difference in the chain.

Some people hear a night and day difference, because they can focus better on specific aspects of the sound.
I think this is training. People who are not that trained, beginning in their childhood, just don't hear it and this leads to endless debates.
The same on microtiming and jittery/sloppy sequencers ect. Some people just can't stand it and many people just don't care.
Also the lack of a detailed common language base in this subtle sensority field leads to confusion and trouble within subjective experience vs. debating.

I know famous all over the world techno producers, who use Motu only in their project studio with little room-treatment. Mixing is done in big studios later on.

On the highest end converters (not Motu) it is more about the feel under your skin of a difference.
Electronic music is not the most demanding for monitors and converters.
You hear it best on recordings of an acoustic instrument you play (piano here), a human voice and full tracks with lots of depth.
The difference increases with more tracks and more out-in loops.

The whole chain is important:

Processing chain in the box is very important:
Bit depth, dithering, SRC, anti-aliasing, filtering.

In- and out- chain is very important:
Gain-staging, hum, noise, DC-offset, phase-authenticity or coloring.

Balanced connections are very important.
Clocking is important.

That said, of course there are things much more essential, as musical performance, arrangement, mixing ect.
We all know that a song tracked on a four-track can be really something while there are millions of $ spend on gear with an output of flat sounding, over-engineered, boring music.

But this is no argument that it still does not makes a difference! It does, it is just not on top of the list.
And of course it makes much sense to understand techical things and putting them in perspective!
Doing one thing, doesn't mean you should let off the other.

Think high-class piano in the Steinway, Blüthner range:
Every component makes a difference, but most important are the player and the ears and the room.
There are people owning such an expensive piano, who can't play.
And people who give you an extraordinary performance on a dusted piano in a bar.
A very good player won't be satisfied owning a consumer-class piano.

There are many top-acts with top-notch-world-class sounding songs made with a Minibrute + Motu, mixed in a dream studio.

Many very popular products in Eurorack don't meet any high-end requirements at all, but people are all over them...

hsosdrum
Veteran Wiggler

Post by hsosdrum » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:32 pm

Michael O. wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:24 pm
This thread has me wanting to post some measurements to better identify the objective differences between different converters, but it’s not exactly the easiest time to get hold of an Audio Precision machine in the covid-ravaged southern US.
An AP unit will only show you measured differences. Whether or not these measured differences translate into perceived difference is the crux of the biscuit here.

I argue that once we see a measured difference our mind tends to hear it simply because it knows the AP measured it, not necessarily because of any actual difference in aural stimulation. Our perception of hearing is influenced by much more than only what is being fed to the brain by the aural detection system. In fact, learning how to better recognize only what we are being fed by our ears, and then how to interpret that information is what listening (and listening training) is all about.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:20 pm

hsosdrum wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:32 pm
Michael O. wrote:
An AP unit will only show you measured differences. Whether or not these measured differences translate into perceived difference is the crux of the biscuit here.

I argue that once we see a measured difference our mind tends to hear it simply because it knows the AP measured it, not necessarily because of any actual difference in aural stimulation. Our perception of hearing is influenced by much more than only what is being fed to the brain by the aural detection system. In fact, learning how to better recognize only what we are being fed by our ears, and then how to interpret that information is what listening (and listening training) is all about.
Totally agree. I think of it as "observing rather than just listening" ... but that's just how I make my peanut brain work. :)
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Breezewax
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Breezewax » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:21 pm

What were you listening on?

I went from a presonus interface to an rme which was a huge difference in quality in both listening and recording especially,
then from some alesis monitors to dynaudios monitor another huge difference.
I recently purchased some Audeze headphones which brought to life so many sounds and recordings and gave a depth of field I had not experienced before (possibly because of my room acoustics listening with my dynaudios), since using them I feel like my ears are "better" maybe more trained to pick up subtler details, all my mixes translate better across different mediums too.

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:31 pm

Back in college I had two different interfaces. One was an MBox2 for ProTools, and the other was a Yamaha Go46.
I definitely felt like I could tell the difference between the two, even with a single track of audio— and the Go46 sounded much better.
Unfortunately the Go46 eventually died due to capacitor plague.

c0rpse
Wiggling with Experience

Post by c0rpse » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:59 pm

I bought a Prism Lyra and a Lynx Hilo a few months ago to try and answer this question myself.

Once level matched, I can't tell the difference. Doing AB tests between the two converters and my case through an analog mixer reveals that I can not distinguish between the three. At least not on my current monitoring setup.

I'd like to shuffle some of that money into some new PA speakers, so I'm considering selling the Prism. The Lynx has a bunch of great creature comforts, but I can't help wonder if there is some aspect of sound I'm not tuned into yet.

I can tell you I do not use GS for research anymore.
VINO MALO | Designer and Software Developer for WMD

Kattefjaes
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Kattefjaes » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:11 pm

Yes, you really can, though most unskilled listeners will only notice gross differences, even in properly controlled conditions. Clock quality matters a lot too- phase noise in the time domain becomes smearing in the frequency domain. It is not "inherently subjective", but something which can be measured with the right equipment, as well as subjectively ferreted out.

skkatter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skkatter » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:41 pm

Breezewax wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:21 pm
What were you listening on?
A pair of Genelec 1032As. The studio has room treatment but done by me rather than a professional.

mojopin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mojopin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:11 pm

c0rpse wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:59 pm
I bought a Prism Lyra and a Lynx Hilo a few months ago to try and answer this question myself.
I wouldn't expect to hear a difference. Those are both top-notch converters. I'd keep the Lynx..

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:47 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:20 pm
hsosdrum wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:32 pm
Michael O. wrote:

Totally agree. I think of it as "observing rather than just listening" ... but that's just how I make my peanut brain work. :)
Most definitely. I’m fully into the tweak to within reasonable technical specs and then fine tune by ear mindset in all I do (if it sounds right, it is right), but I mean to say that I’d like to see the objective, empirical differences that I’m hearing via measurement, ultimately for curiosity’s sake. If the perceived differences are even measurable, that is. And I completely agree that listening first and measuring second would be the only way to come to a conclusion; the power of suggestion would likely take a strong hold otherwise.

It’s impressive and a credit to modern addac design that we have threads like this. Not so long ago It was indisputable that converters could sound different from one another, and now the differences are so subtle as to be barely perceptible. I’d bet the supporting analog circuitry has significantly more influence over the overall sound than the adc/dac chipsets themselves in any given converter, as well.

swarlied
1-Post Wiggler

Post by swarlied » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:10 am

I was using an Audient id14 before I upgraded to a Lnyx Aurora 8 (legacy), which used to be high end 10 years ago. which is the reason I wanted to upgrade, to have the best conversion for my budget, so I went for a used Aurora.

I have done no measurements or AB comparison, because unplugging etc. takes why too long. So my impression im can share is anecdotal.

First listening tests of my spotify favourites gave me no impression. But after a while I noticed that I start no notice elements different. „This pad in the background, it sounds so delicous, I never noticed this? Was it even there before?“

I was expecting a placebo effekt so I disconnected all the cables and turned the audient up again, and yes its a process of 10 minutes in between, I did this several times to understand the difference. The id14 sounded more like a small „matchbox“ while auroa have served everything „larger“.

Today I used it with a lot of converter looping involved because I do a lot of re-sampling hybrid stuff. I never had the feeling that adding conversion loops reduce the quality.

In addition, when I plug in different synthesizers to record them. And also modules offcourse. I have the impression that even the finest nuances of the circuit get picked up (48hz allways).

For example I noticed that my old D20 has very nice transients and these old 80’ style sounds are far away from cheap. Also when I record the mother32 not from the onboard line-output but send it into the mi clouds (100% dry!) and then into the intellijel 4Uout: clear difference, the direct line-out of the m32 definitly shines through better. The other chain is not bad, but its easy to hear.

Return to “Production Techniques”