Alien voices

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Alien voices

Post by nuromantix » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:26 pm

please delete
Last edited by nuromantix on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

smithjohn
Common Wiggler

Re: Alien voices

Post by smithjohn » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:44 pm

I think the problem is that we don't know how it would sound, the other species could even be something we're unable to think of as a life form.

Seriously though, audio rate FM'ing filters, multiple bandpass filters, some ring mod settings can yield vocal-like timbres, but I assume you might have tried some/all of these? A dual peak filter could be a good starting point.

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:16 pm

So far i've just been manipulating human voices, maybe that's a mistake.

skkatter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skkatter » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Just sample a Scottish person talking.

kcd06
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kcd06 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:40 pm

Modeling a known unknown can be difficult enough on its own, but you are attempting to describe an unknown unknown. This usually falls into the category of "making stuff up as you go along", so almost anything would qualify as an "alien" sound/voice and the better question becomes "can I do something interesting with the Weird Sound I've just produced."

One approach might be to consider the environment that your non-Terran species evolved in, and how they might have developed complex communication within that environment. Lots of hydrogen and limited gravity, the voice might be more in the realm of radio. Lots of gravity might suggest high pressure, a speaking voice with a deep sound with limited bandwidth and short ranged high frequency pulses as a substitute for touch, and so on.
The most powerful, dangerous, wonderful word in any language occurs when an engineer-type person says "Huh..."

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:16 pm

If you want something with recognizable "vocal" qualities but more "alien" than close mimicry of human vox sounds, audio-rate filter FM is your friend. Set it to medium-high resonance, FM it from an oscillator pitched to a vocal-range frequency, and modulate the filter cutoff and/or oscillator frequency according to something like a speech cadence. Maybe feed in some noise for plosives/fricatives.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:56 pm

I made something with 2 parallel filters, a few things FMing each other, and lots of live tweaking of knobs. Editing a few takes together in quite a random way helped to give more of a sense of separate syllables. Will try to post something up over the weekend. Anyone else had a go?

Art
Common Wiggler

Post by Art » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 pm

Starting with human voice like you said you did seems appropriate enough. Don't forget some easy things like reverse, before process further. 👍

sleestack808
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sleestack808 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:26 pm

Graular synthesis. Formant filters.

MarcelP
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by MarcelP » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:37 am

nuromantix wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:16 pm
So far i've just been manipulating human voices, maybe that's a mistake.
Do you have some idea what the alien looks like, or the environment it comes from? The shape and size of the alien would probably dictate the kind of sounds it makes, and the environment it lives in (thin gas/a liquid) would have an influence too (thinking the sounds of small fish, whales, insects, etc). If you start with human vocalisation you will end up with something at least a bit human...which might not be alien enough.

tigersi
Common Wiggler

Post by tigersi » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:56 am

Have you thought of using the sounds of the predator as a reference point maybe. There are some nice sounds in those movies. (The originals as I’ve more seen the new one)
Possibly using some sort of sounds at different tempos reversed.
Also have a look at the uber talented Mike Patton doing various sounds for zombies etc. Could be inspirational to you.
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=234159 My eurorack yard sale

Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel.

We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents. (Bob Ross)

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:13 pm

Volume at zero because they communicate via sign language.

head-explodey.gif

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:30 pm

Here's what I got:

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:16 am

skkatter wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:30 pm
Just sample a Scottish person talking.

My drunk wife and I agree.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

skkatter
Wiggling with Experience

Post by skkatter » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:27 pm

wuff_miggler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:48 pm

one of the best examples of alien speech i've seen to date is on District 9:

so many ways you could attack this ....

from physical methods like grabbing some logic module digital spray (ie. garbled nonsense which acts like a noise source) and run it through a dunlop talk box....then take that and resynthesize it, scrub it slower/faster, and then granular synthesize the fuck out of it

or a hybrid synthesis approach;
grab a chart of every possible phoneme from every language. This would give you glottal stops, plossives, emphatic consonants, etc.
you could then do something which involves setting up sequences of these vowels to trigger on gate events, crossfading into a complex oscillator running wavetables, or plain old analog oscs going into something like doepfers triple resonance filter and controlling the formants and freq with a 3 axis joystick in one hand - and the pitch from a doepfer ribbon on the other hand.

another thing to check out is Plogue's Chipcrusher. There's a special bit reduction algorhythm you could run any of the above into to get very special sounds only a certain early speech production synthesizer used (cant remember the name).

wuff_miggler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:49 pm

also - holy crap - EDMX! i love your music m8! :D

SIN_formant_A1472V
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SIN_formant_A1472V » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Spectral editing.

Record someone talking, the sound of someone having an orgasm, and then the sound of a tea kettle coming to a boil.
Take unequal lengths of each recording and then stretch them or pitch shift them in a spectral editing app to the length of your required phrase.

Load them into the RX7 and then cute out bands of the frequencies you like, take those bands put them into Pro Tools, get them sounding right, and then create a stereo file that you will put back into the RX7, make sure you are pleased with it, clean it up if you have to.

Then ...

Bust out the eurorack, load the file into a sampler and play it on a loop and then use a microphone as the source for an envelope follower, send that envelope follower into a filter and VCA, start speaking to shape the sound as it passes through, record that into Pro Tools.

Add a little stereo enhancement and reverb, and any other things it might need, to make it sound "roomy" and then bam. Aliens.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:16 pm

First thing I would do is aim for the final product to be outside of the typical human vocal range. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_frequency

TL;DR: cross synthesis like convolution or phase vocoding, plus additional formant filtering.

I would think about the physiology I want to convey. Larger would be more bassy, smaller would be more trebly. A larger resonant cavity (mouth, nose, gullet/craw) would have a lower frequency formant, plus how they can manipulate that resonant cavity formant frequencies (tongue, lips, beak), and how many resonant peaks those formants have. How are they generating the initial sound: vocal cords, whisper, chirping like a cricket, chirping like a bird, some kind of drum/membrane, clicks? Lung (or equivalent) capacity and diaphram strength, how long they can hold a sound and how forceful that sound can be (if that initial sound is even made by air passing though vocal cords or something equivalent).

Initial sound, formant resonances, frequency range, etc.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:28 pm

field recordings of cormorants

vqlk
Ultra Wiggler

Post by vqlk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:54 pm

everything :despair:
muffs is weird

wuff_miggler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wuff_miggler » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:02 pm

SIN_formant_A1472V wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:36 pm
Spectral editing.

Record someone talking, the sound of someone having an orgasm, and then the sound of a tea kettle coming to a boil.
Take unequal lengths of each recording and then stretch them or pitch shift them in a spectral editing app to the length of your required phrase.

Load them into the RX7 and then cute out bands of the frequencies you like, take those bands put them into Pro Tools, get them sounding right, and then create a stereo file that you will put back into the RX7, make sure you are pleased with it, clean it up if you have to.

Then ...

Bust out the eurorack, load the file into a sampler and play it on a loop and then use a microphone as the source for an envelope follower, send that envelope follower into a filter and VCA, start speaking to shape the sound as it passes through, record that into Pro Tools.

Add a little stereo enhancement and reverb, and any other things it might need, to make it sound "roomy" and then bam. Aliens.
not OP - but this sounds wild. Have you tried this before??

SIN_formant_A1472V
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SIN_formant_A1472V » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:59 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:02 pm
SIN_formant_A1472V wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:36 pm
Spectral editing.

Then ...

not OP - but this sounds wild. Have you tried this before??

I have not tried it yet, but I've done similar things with spectral editing in RX7, I think every sound file I record ends up in the RX7 editor at one point or another. I typically don't sample from voices or humans at all, sometimes animals, but I prefer metal, water, and all sorts of machines and scraping noises. Naturally the results have been non-alien lifeform like, but the RX7 has some really amazing hidden features and applications. I mostly use it to ruin sounds rather than fix them haha

vqlk
Ultra Wiggler

Post by vqlk » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:03 pm

i once sent in a harsh noise track i had made to a label with an auto critique based on its spectrum... i got rejected :despair: but it was fun to write
muffs is weird

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:07 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:49 pm
also - holy crap - EDMX! i love your music m8! :D
No shit, some serious star power lol... love me some DMX Krew.

Anyways back on topic, this thread is pure gold. :miley:

Return to “Production Techniques”