Techniques - Warm distortion/clipping

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

CombYoBeard
Learning to Wiggle

Techniques - Warm distortion/clipping

Post by CombYoBeard » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:33 am

Anyone have good techniques for creating or taming distortion to sound pleasant? I notice I either get it too extreme or too subtle, I'm not sure if the sound I'm after is achieved using other methods either.

You can hear what I'm talking about throughout Tim Hecker's Ravedeath, 1972.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Techniques - Warm distortion/clipping

Post by StrangeAttraction » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:14 am

1. Try parallel processing (mixing in the distorted sound and the dry sound to taste).
With this the distorted sound can be absolutely smashed to bits and yet the whole combo will sound very musical.
2. Sounds like it's not just distortion on this album but plenty of noise and field recordings, too. So maybe try mixing them into the sounds you're trying to distort and then parallel process them to taste
3. Maybe run things into modules like tanh, which is a soft limiter or any type of a limiter for that full thick compressed sausagy ambienty block-like sound.
Last edited by StrangeAttraction on Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:24 am

duplicate

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:36 am

In addition to mixing the dry signal with the distorted signal, it can be useful to filter the signal before the distortion. So you have full range clean signal plus distorted lows or midrange or treble, whatever you need.

CombYoBeard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CombYoBeard » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:18 pm

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:14 am
1. Try parallel processing (mixing in the distorted sound and the dry sound to taste).
With this the distorted sound can be absolutely smashed to bits and yet the whole combo will sound very musical.
2. Sounds like it's not just distortion on this album but plenty of noise and field recordings, too. So maybe try mixing them into the sounds you're trying to distort and then parallel process them to taste
3. Maybe run things into modules like tanh, which is a soft limiter or any type of a limiter for that full thick compressed sausagy ambienty block-like sound.
Excellent suggestions, thank you! I do believe in an interview Tim said he used a lot of field recordings, so I think you're right.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:30 am

No probs. Also check out Ben DivKid's demo of Tanh - especially the last patch where he daisy chains the Tahnk to get this thick sausage of a sound. Instant drone territory. In fact, I'm going to buy one for myself right now.

Return to “Production Techniques”