Secret weapon processing (plugins/hardware)

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Secret weapon processing (plugins/hardware)

Post by slumberjack » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:01 am

midifail wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:22 am
slumberjack wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:48 am
midifail wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:24 pm
Louder than Liftoff Silver Bullet!
I've been eying on this since a while. How is it altering the sources and what is enhanced after the treatment?
well, there is the baxandall-type eq which to my ears sounds fantastic. you have two types per band. subtle and not so subtle. :lol:
the n-saturation stage makes the sound somewhat "mid-forward" the a-saturation is brighter to my ears and adds a bit of "oomph/punch"
you can combine the two with separate saturation-settings or only use one stage, which makes it pretty flexible.
the peak/rms ratio of a signal gets a bit reduced as well - makes mixing a little easier..
for tracking i tend to use just one stage (usually the n) for mix-glue my fav is "n" into "a" with a bit of bax-eq polish on top.
and then there´s two great sounding mic-preamps as well!

overall the saturation is a rather subtle effect that accumulates however if you track your audio and mix through it.
but it does not like to be driven too hard than it starts to sound unpleasant and harsh. myself i would not use it as a distortion-box.
THX man!
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

alexander92
Common Wiggler

Post by alexander92 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:17 pm

Not really my secret weapon, but a favourite of mine nowadays, a modeled analoge tape plugin, which sounds good and is free. Been using it a lot in my projects lately, also worth checking out his other repositories. Binaries are here: https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/AnalogTapeModel

Scories
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Scories » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Easterner wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 pm
The not-so-secret Cocoquantus... if you want to lo-fi or get weird

Serge Resonant EQ is great for pinging to set up various kick or tom sounds, but also screeching feedback, or subtle or aggressive shaping of electronic or acoustic sounds
Have you tried to use them altogether?
I found the Serge Resonnant EQ to be excellent as taming some of the unwanted aliasing Cocoquantus sound and enhancing its tasty frequencies.

Pyrrhix
Common Wiggler

Post by Pyrrhix » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:01 pm

This is a minor thing, but very useful with modular recordings where a stray frequency might pop out a bit too much: Pro-Q's dynamic EQ feature. A band is attenuated more as signals in its frequency range get louder. Much easier to set up than a multiband compressor, at least for me.

Breezewax
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by Breezewax » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:35 pm

My roommate had an old Korg Electribe S Mkii laying around I saw this vid and I started to run tracks from my daw through it. Theres some good effects there and some are great to add in as parallel layers.

Cableguys Shaperbox 2 is a fantastic creative plugin, Ive been using the Volumeshaper as a multiband sidechain, carving the highs and lows differently.

drox wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:05 pm
Permut8
Such a crazy plugin I love it.
balbibou wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:59 am
Sonimus Britson/Satson console emulations
I have these but haven't used them much recently, thanks for the reminder
alexander92 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:17 pm
Not really my secret weapon, but a favourite of mine nowadays, a modeled analoge tape plugin, which sounds good and is free. Been using it a lot in my projects lately, also worth checking out his other repositories. Binaries are here: https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/AnalogTapeModel
Checking that out thanks!!

Easterner
Common Wiggler

Post by Easterner » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:30 am

Scories wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:48 pm
Easterner wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 pm
The not-so-secret Cocoquantus... if you want to lo-fi or get weird

Serge Resonant EQ is great for pinging to set up various kick or tom sounds, but also screeching feedback, or subtle or aggressive shaping of electronic or acoustic sounds
Have you tried to use them altogether?
I found the Serge Resonnant EQ to be excellent as taming some of the unwanted aliasing Cocoquantus sound and enhancing its tasty frequencies.
Not yet! Will have to try that!

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:54 am

Right now, simple guitar pedals. Boss Blues Driver DB-2 pedal for saturating drums and percussions and Big Muff for transient-less sounds, like pads, etc - it adds slight sustain, compression and an awesome high-end sparkle.
I also run things through Serge ResEQ first to shape the sound before it hits the saturation stage.

Return to “Production Techniques”