Multitracking and reverb?

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Multitracking and reverb?

Post by commodorejohn » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:27 am

So I'm preparing to record a piece I've finally started seriously sketching out after toying with the idea in the back of my head for a while, and one thing I'm trying to sort out ahead of time is my recording process (not that I can't go back and re-do stuff if I need to, but I'm trying to improve on my workflow as this is gonna take me enough time as it stands.) So one thing I'm curious about is this: what's a good solution for using a hardware reverb unit with what is fundamentally going to be a recording process of multi-tracking the same instrument(s) multiple/many times over?

Of course I can (and plan to) just experiment a bit with the options beforehand and see what works, but I'm a little curious to hear some different opinions on this - when doing something like this, do you get everything mixed to satisfaction and then feed the final track into an outboard reverb and then back into the recorder? Mix down the separate parts and do them individually? Or just run everything straight through the FX unit into the computer the first time? Interested to get some feedback on this.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Multitracking and reverb?

Post by nuromantix » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:48 am

I would record dry and add effects at mixdown.

ndkent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ndkent » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:29 am

Depends if hearing the fx are influencing your playing style and and if you have enough tracks.

If you have enough tracks there shouldn't be an advantage to "bake" the effects and dry track together, you can't adjust the balance later, you can't use the fx to "glue" the multitracks if you wanted to do that. So the ideal would be to record the fx on another track so you could use them, not use them, or remind you as reference and replace on mixdown.

I think hearing the fx often do influence the performance, but if you don't then it's not really a choice needed, don't record with them.

The tough call is if you are track limited. You could try monitoring with fx but not tracking them?

Kattefjaes
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:23 am

I find that even if I'm using effects in a patch, if I'm multitracking it (rather than just recording a stereo mixdown from the rack), I tend to take the effects out and record it all dry, re-constructing the general feel of the mix and effects in the DAW.

It can sometimes be too weird if something like a tempo-related delay is completely integral to (for example) percussion- especially if that clocking alters over time. That might get left in. Stuff like general reverb, EQ etc. is easier to re-establish relatively painlessly.

I think "it depends". It can be worth the hassle to record as much stuff dry as possible if you can be bothered to tap the rack for multitrack recording. The benefit of being able to adjust the mix later when your ears aren't tired and so forth is often well worth it. That said, sometimes the immediate nature of just doing a plain old stereo recording out of the rack can be liberating and fun. It's situational, depending on mood and what I'm trying to achieve.

I am a lazy dilettante though, so I often love just having at it and banging something fun and chaotic out in stereo anyway.

midifail
Learning to Wiggle

Post by midifail » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:29 pm

i like to record the fx together with the dry sound on separate channels. e.g. 1+2 dry stereo 3+4 reverb 5+6 delay.
i can record this as a 6-channel track then (a handy reaper feature) and put it in my sample material folder for example.
the benefit is the tracks are tied together as one multitrack-audiofile but i can separate them out again and change balance and the like anytime later.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:43 am

I would record with my live effects in an aux bus and create a separate track just for the aux. Record it along with your dry track and blend to taste, or use the aux tracks as a guide for later.

commodorejohn
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by commodorejohn » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:26 am

Well, I need to verify this, but it sounds like the reverb unit I picked up is only pseudo-stereo anyway, so I can quite easily just run the wet and dry signals on the left and right going into my sound card to keep my options open...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000, Ensoniq SQ-80

"'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:29 am

midifail wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:29 pm
i like to record the fx together with the dry sound on separate channels. e.g. 1+2 dry stereo 3+4 reverb 5+6 delay.
i can record this as a 6-channel track then (a handy reaper feature) and put it in my sample material folder for example.
the benefit is the tracks are tied together as one multitrack-audiofile but i can separate them out again and change balance and the like anytime later.
Very cool solution.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

maxl0rd
Common Wiggler

Post by maxl0rd » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:50 pm

I like to record everything together when I am working quickly, but print effects separately on their own tracks when I know the track is something that I'll come back to and fuss over.

One thing to look out for is that if you print really diverse reverbs on individual instruments, you can kind of paint yourself into a corner where the tracks won't really gel with each other. But if you have a good feel for what you are doing, it can work great.

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:33 am

Record dry, put each multitrack onto its own channel, create a group channel, put all those multi tracks into the group, adjust each volume independently on the appropriate channel, but any FX, apply to the group channel.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Return to “Production Techniques”