video game sound designers wanted

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

video game sound designers wanted

Post by spacenoodle » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:52 pm

There's really no ideal place to post this at muffs <<<admin please move if you know a better place>>>. And even though this is not music related I have gotten applicants from the music production thread when I post openings.

We have some video game sound designer openings as we continue to expand our dept. These are permanent positions, you can work from your home studio if you are in USA or Canada - we will provide you with all the gear. We will also be posting some mid and entry level positions - apply through me to expedite the process and I'll get you in touch with the appropriate recruiter.

https://careers.ravensoftware.com/job/R ... o-Designer

https://careers.ravensoftware.com/job/R ... gue-Editor

PM me with questions if interested. Thanks! :sb:

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: video game sound designers wanted

Post by The Junglechrist » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:03 pm

Oh boy that's some dream job over here. Does it even worth applying if French and with no real experience in the video game industry (tho + 10 years in music and audio engineering) ?

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:14 pm

Ha, sound design is fun- I wonder how much fun it would be to do all the time, under time pressure.

(The highlight of my paid sound design remains making a sad fruit machine noise- that was hugely entertaining.)

Good luck with your search, I hope you find someone great and that they have a blast.

docile fossil
Learning to Wiggle

Post by docile fossil » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Kattefjaes wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:14 pm
sad fruit machine noise
you realize this isn't something you can just casually mention and not share. :lol:

absolutely a dream gig, though. in another life i would've gone down this path. someone hop on this!
holler if you have black aluminum 1HP blanks for sale!
this is a filtersweep-free zone

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:47 pm

docile fossil wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:44 pm
you realize this isn't something you can just casually mention and not share. :lol:
Unfortunately, it was for an internal research project for a major broadcaster- not something that I am allowed to share, I fear. The sound of a bust of Queen Victoria hitting the floor was also part of the soundscape, for reasons I can't go into 8-)

(I used a Volca Modular and a Digitakt for the sad fruit machine. It was the first and only time that the Volca modular was actually useful.)

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:11 pm

The Junglechrist wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:03 pm
Oh boy that's some dream job over here. Does it even worth applying if French and with no real experience in the video game industry (tho + 10 years in music and audio engineering) ?
We have hired outside of the US but it's more complicated and expensive so we usually don't.

But in response to your other question, it a lot of the decision making comes down to demos, wether or not it comes from games experience. Some of our best and most promising talent has come from people just getting started. I love providing an entry point for new talent. Many studios don't do that. When I was first trying to get into the game industry ~15 years ago nobody would even consider me because I didn't have experience. To this day I find that so backwards. How would this industry continue to thrive without getting people in that are just starting out? But we are very particular about who we get in, so we have a pretty amazing team.

Work from home has thrown a... interesting wrench into the process. Here's what we've been doing that past few months:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-ga ... -cold-war/

And a little about how I work, for context:

https://www.asoundeffect.com/inspiring-sound-design/

So feel free to reach out if you are interested. I started off with zero experience. My first job was actually Playboy The Mansion. Hugh Hefner was making a video game (yeah...wtf) and through a strange series of events I went from not having a job to working in a music studio to bring Hefs perverted idea to life. A playmate came in while I was implementing sex sounds and she sat on my lap for a photo shoot. I didn't ask for this but I was like....ok. Yes was the beginning of my game audio career. Thankfully I was able to move on to more respectable projects soon after.

The Junglechrist
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:40 am

spacenoodle wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:11 pm
So feel free to reach out if you are interested. I started off with zero experience. My first job was actually Playboy The Mansion. Hugh Hefner was making a video game (yeah...wtf) and through a strange series of events I went from not having a job to working in a music studio to bring Hefs perverted idea to life. A playmate came in while I was implementing sex sounds and she sat on my lap for a photo shoot. I didn't ask for this but I was like....ok. Yes was the beginning of my game audio career. Thankfully I was able to move on to more respectable projects soon after.
Proper awesome story over here !

I'll think about giving this a shot, my main problem being the internet connexion I have where I live, it's already hard for me to get and send back files for my mastering job hahaha (remote area in the South Alps conutry side)

Thanks for the encouraging answer anyway ;-)

finalplane
Learning to Wiggle

Post by finalplane » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:52 am

Will you be accepting applications through at least the end of this upcoming week? I’m going to apply, and I want to spend a lot of care and effort getting my materials together, but not so much that I miss the deadline.
whipcreamsfruitquartet.bandcamp.com

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:51 pm

The Junglechrist wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:40 am
spacenoodle wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:11 pm
Proper awesome story over here !

I'll think about giving this a shot, my main problem being the internet connexion I have where I live, it's already hard for me to get and send back files for my mastering job hahaha (remote area in the South Alps conutry side)

Thanks for the encouraging answer anyway ;-)
I started working from home during this pandemic with a pretty shitty connection then upgraded to something that most would consider about normal these days. I just ran a speed test and got 134.3 Mbps DL, and 10.8 Mbps UL. I think that's about where you'd want to be for remote game work. I would certainly prefer a faster connection but anything much less would drop productivity. There is a massive amount of data to receive every day and occasionally the uploads can be fairly large if you have to send video captures or are working on surround stems for example.

spacenoodle
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spacenoodle » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:55 pm

finalplane wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:52 am
Will you be accepting applications through at least the end of this upcoming week? I’m going to apply, and I want to spend a lot of care and effort getting my materials together, but not so much that I miss the deadline.
Great to hear! Yes, take your time at it. Honestly this hiring process can go on for months so if you spend an extra few weeks on it, no opportunity will be missed. I don't imagine we'll be doing the interviews before January. A lot of folks are taking time off right now as well.

Return to “Production Techniques”