Reverb

Discuss everything related to production, recording, composition, etc.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:26 am

Will be keeping an eye on this thread with interest.
+1 on M4L convolution pro and UAD 140 plate and Lexicon 224
Also use Waves Convolution a lot and Sound Toys Primal Tap.
I do need to jump on Vallhalla some day.

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Audio Damage EOS is pretty nice for huge very long reverbs, and works well in other ways. It's got a freeze mode which is quite fun.

I think the algo was written by the Valhalla bloke also.

If you have Max 7 you can use those Ableton .amxd convolution ones in the Max program now and avoid the Ableton side of things. If you can get the files out of the Ableton pack or however they distribute the plugs should work.

panavisitor
Learning to Wiggle

Post by panavisitor » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:14 am

Just bought Valhalla Room and VintageVerb and they are very very good. I am used to the NI RC24 & RC48, which are also nice. FWIW I also really like using the EHX Cathedral as well! M4L conv reverb pro is just daunting, amazing sounding but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around how to use it in the context of my music. I am VERY happy with the valhalla stuff though even after only a couple days.

nepsis
Common Wiggler

Post by nepsis » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Yes, the m4l convolution reverb is surprisingly good!
WTB | ER-301 | Monome Teletype | Cirklon cvio / breakout/dmux | Monome arc 4 (2018+)
FS | Qubit Chord | Analog 4 mk1

nepsis
Common Wiggler

Post by nepsis » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:09 pm

But it seems to have weird issues with automation for me. Was playing a show on arranger mode and the m4l convolution pro reverb on switch was toggled with automation... It turned on, but it wasn't actually reverberating? Still haven't gotteb a chance to diagnose that issue.
WTB | ER-301 | Monome Teletype | Cirklon cvio / breakout/dmux | Monome arc 4 (2018+)
FS | Qubit Chord | Analog 4 mk1

hamildad
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hamildad » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:43 am

I've been looking at the Caroline Meteore pedal as it looks really good to pair with a synth, but the thing that is holding me back is that the reverb pedal is mono, I just can't get past the fact that I might regret getting a mono reverb.

So, is mono reverb acceptable? Can I put mono reverb into a stereo reverb to fill it out?

Can you have more than one reverb in a chain or will it be like recording a room inside another room?

Or how can you expand a mono reverb into a wider space? Dual mono channels and pan L&R?
My Synth Instagram here * My Synth videos here
-
External PSUs and DC jacks are the hallmarks of toys. - Graham Hinton.
-
I am one of the "tiny fraction of a percentage of oversensitive idiots" who feels the name of this site sends the wrong message.
-
This is primarily for melody and historical educational purposes - Analogue Music

Badwhite
Common Wiggler

Post by Badwhite » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:03 pm

This might sound crazy, but the default ableton reverb is pretty good. I use it over Valhalla VintageVerb for a lot of stuff... it's less "clangy"

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:41 am

oh wow i just bought reverberate 2. i hate reverb...well, no, i love it, but i don't find any satisfying plugin or hardware. i want realistic sounding rooms and chambers. reverberate might be it, it sounds astonishing! this new technique of using several IR's seems to work pretty good, such lively rooms...gosh, maybe my search has really come to an end now...we'll see!

Nejrup
Common Wiggler

Post by Nejrup » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:07 pm

Get Waves TrueVerb if you just want a simple amazing sounding reverb plugin, really love the tones coming out of that thing.. On the other side I also tend to use the Soundtoys plugins (echoboy, crystalizer) to make some very extensive and complex reverbs. Use these plugs all the time
FS/FT: Glensound Mixer, Mirano Tape Echo
WTB: TINIJAX! Buchla 285e, 258e, Buchla Sequencer
https://soundcloud.com/nejrupmusic

negativeone1
1-Post Wiggler

Post by negativeone1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:24 pm

Valhalla: Plate, VintageVerb and Room
Eventide: Blackhole and UltraReverb
Lexicon PCM Native Effects
Waves H-Reverb
Each of these has some kind of advantage.

For spring check out Softube Spring Reverb

And convolution reverb which I use is IR-L by Waves

Here are some banks with really good impulses:
http://signaltonoize.com/?page_id=4188
http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

tdel
Common Wiggler

Post by tdel » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:34 am

Valhalla DSP are my go-tos. You can't beat them for the price.

weird update
Learning to Wiggle

max for live

Post by weird update » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:58 am

max for live outer space is a really good thing for endless drones. but I think I am going to buy a folktek alter.

_________
https://soundcloud.com/weirdupdate

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:34 pm

timoka the most transparent and realistic sounding verb i ever heard was the realverb pro now evolved into dreamverb of the uad plug-in range.

but since i don't own a uad interface and i'm not planning to get one i would be interested in hard- and software similar to this.
i just blew my mind and i can't forget this moment when putting on this verb on a track.

mgallagher641
Common Wiggler

Post by mgallagher641 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:44 am

I've tried various plugin verbs and have struggled to find one that would sit nicely in a mix. I think I am fussy about this. The one that always seems to work is the UAD EMT 250. You might think that an emulation of a completely outdated digital reverb ought to be of only niche interest, but it sounds good on everything and sits really well in a mix. It doesn't do big enveloping hall reverbs, but for shorter stuff, like getting drum sounds to gel together, a touch of this is my magic ingredient.

Obviously it requires UAD, so probably isn't of use to the OP, but maybe to others.

Given the price of UAS, my suggestion if you want cheap characterful reverb would be to buy some old 90s hardware, like an Alesis unit or some such. Again, I realise this is not what the OP was after - but maybe useful for others looking at this thread.

Soy Sos
Dub Surgeon

Post by Soy Sos » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:03 am

I know Valhalla keeps getting mentioned but the diffusion control in the new Delay plugin does wonderful reverbs. I've been digging in to that on current mixes. Also always using Vintage Verb and Room.
Sound Toys - Little Plate and Kush Audio - Gold Plate are both excellent too.
Wow, my 1st reply to this thread is from 4 years ago!

rustedimac
Common Wiggler

Post by rustedimac » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:53 am

While I don't think any reverb can possibly beat Bricasti M7, I highly recommend trying out Phoenixverb and R4 from Exponential Audio. They are so much cheaper and more accessible as iZotope acquired the company. It's a proper "big boy" reverb that you can fine-tune it and is capable of surround sounds (if you choose to go that route). It is one of the best sounding reverb I've ever come across in the world of strictly software reverbs. Used it over and over again for multiple genres of music, though it is simply the best choice for classical music thanks to its transparency. But you can also drastically change the sound as you can modulate a whole bunch of stuff. Think of it as a 480 on steroid.
kwontifiedsound.com

loafer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by loafer » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:35 am

I also use the Valhalla VintageVerb most of the time when I want a VST. But if you consider hardware as well then I can strongly recommend the Strymon Big Sky. I use it mostly for piano in huge spaces, sound gorgeous.

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 am

I've been using a BOSS RV-500 with my eurorack and I really like it! For a portable dual delay/reverb unit with high quality sounds, it's hard to beat!

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:09 am

Badwhite wrote:This might sound crazy, but the default ableton reverb is pretty good. I use it over Valhalla VintageVerb for a lot of stuff... it's less "clangy"
There's nothing shiny and cool about the ableton verb but it's actually very useful yes, because it's discrete and works perfectly in the mix. too many parameters for my taste, though.
Tried M4L convolution, it sounded good but Lexicon algos sounded much better. then valhalla plugs sounded even better than all of the above.
I also like "spirit reverb" for springs - decent spring emulations are hard to come by...

Return to “Production Techniques”